Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car parked outside my house (4 wheels on footpath) for 10 days!

Options
  • 06-07-2015 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just a general wondering hopefully i've posted this in the right place.

There is a car parked outside my house all four wheels on the footpath for the past ten days which has not moved. I know that this car belongs to a friend of my neighbours, it appears the friend has gone off on holiday and left her car outside my house. * this neighbour has a drive way that she doesn't use and regulary would block other neighbours drives*

I'm just wondering can anyone offer any advice, I know legally theres nothing I can do, and I don't really have a problem with the car parking there, if it was overnight or for the day or whatever but its been ten days and it hasn't moved??

Any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It is illegal for a vehicle to be parked on the footpath. Call your local Gardai.

Mod Note
    Please use clear thread titles when posting in A&P. This thread title has been edited for clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Dearg81

athtrasna wrote: »
    It is illegal for a vehicle to be parked on the footpath. Call your local Gardai.

Mod Note
    Please use clear thread titles when posting in A&P. This thread title has been edited for clarity.

I'm not sure calling the Gardai is needed here, surely it's better to ask the neighbour how much longer it will be there for? You might be living beside this neigbour for a long time so potentially falling out with them over something so trivial might not be worth it.

The Gardai won't say who called them. And it's still illegal to park with wheels on the footpath. They are a major problem for people in wheelchairs or with small children. It's inconsiderate of the driver, not just towards the OP but to every user of the footpath

Mod Note

In fairness in many housing estates everyone parks on the footpaths or otherwise the road ends up being blocked. If that's the case in the op's estate the gardai aren't going to care about one car if the whole estate uses the footpaths for parking.

The Gardai won't say who called them. And it's still illegal to park with wheels on the footpath. They are a major problem for people in wheelchairs or with small children. It's inconsiderate of the driver, not just towards the OP but to every user of the footpath

They wont say but it would be obvious. I agree with all your saying but I would still talk to the neighbour if it was me unless I didn't get on with them. It's something that can be easily fixed without involving the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Same advice that worked in another similar parking thread.

Knock on your neighbours door. tell them you are not happy about the car being parked there and ask them to move it, politely.

Seriously, Why the Fcuk is having a conversation with peoples neighbours seem like a last and desperate course of action?

The vast majority of people are not angry sociopaths and are generally mortified that they have upset one of their neighbours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

OP, Call the Council and state it's causing an obstruction

Dearg81 wrote: »
    They wont say but it would be obvious. I agree with all your saying but I would still talk to the neighbour if it was me unless I didn't get on with them. It's something that can be easily fixed without involving the Gardai.

If they doesn't work, bearing in mind it's the neighbours ' friend that abandoned the car (and may or may not have left the keys) then it's going to be even more obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

Thanks guys for all the replies, yeah maybe I'll knock in and ask them as I say not really bothering that much I know it's not illegal for people to park outside house it's just the fact it hasn't moved in so long. Thanks for the advice anyway 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    OP, Call the Council and state it's causing an obstruction

Finally some correct advice.

Parking enforcement is a council issue. Call them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

If it's a privately managed estate, the Gardaí or council wont do anything, but as said by someone talk to the neighbour, it works, tell them someone came into to you asking were you selling it, so you're afraid something may happen to it. innocent enough, rather than move the f****n car..;)

If they doesn't work, bearing in mind it's the neighbours ' friend that abandoned the car (and may or may not have left the keys) then it's going to be even more obvious.

If they don't move the car after asking politely then I would ring the Gardai and I wouldn't care if they knew as they would deserve it. I don't think that will happen though as most people are not like that as Wabbit Ears said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Kajemo wrote: »
    Thanks guys for all the replies, yeah maybe I'll knock in and ask them as I say not really bothering that much I know it's not illegal for people to park outside house it's just the fact it hasn't moved in so long. Thanks for the advice anyway 😊

It's illegal to park on a footpath

Dearg81 wrote: »
    If they don't move the car after asking politely then I would ring the Gardai and I wouldn't care if they knew as they would deserve it. I don't think that will happen though as most people are not like that as Wabbit Ears said above.
    But it's not the neighbours ' car and they may not have the keys!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Ah lads, Let the neighbour's friend enjoy their holiday ffs.
    Perhaps they live in an area where their car may be destroyed by the time they got back.
    Their friend is helping them out.
    If it is right outside your house and causing an issue, well it was bad form of them to park there without asking you.
    but if there is plenty of room and the car is not bothering anybody, just chill out and it will be gone in a few days.
    Like seriously - you've waited and agonised over the car being in place for ten days before you ask a bunch of internet strangers their opinion.
    Like why haven't you gone to the neighbour after two days?
    Put up a picture of the car outside your house and we'll all see what's the story with it.
    PS - Do you know for certain that it is the neighbour's friend's car?
    I'd like to see a picture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Perhaps they live in an area where their car may be destroyed by the time they got back.
    If it is right outside your house and causing an issue, well it was bad form of them to park there without asking you.
    but if there is plenty of room and the car is not bothering anybody, just chill out and it will be gone in a few days.
    Like seriously - you've waited and agonised over the car being in place for ten days before you ask a bunch of internet strangers their opinion.
    Put up a picture of the car outside your house and we'll all see what's the story with it.

Then the friend should have helped out by putting it in their own empty driveway ?!?!!

Like I said, its not the car parking outside the house thats bothering me, its the parking the car and taking off and leaving it there for over ten days.
    I'm a reasonable person if said neighbour had even mentioned it to me then not a bother, but to be so ignorant just to abandon it there and an empty drive way in their house, just kinda annoys me.
    yes true I waited ten days, but I was trying to be reasonable, moaning after a couple of days seemed a bit unreasonable to me, and yes as you put it I asked "internet strangers" for advice, but isn't that whats boards is about, getting advice and what not?

Take a different tack. The car will probably be moved soon anyway so the cost/benefit at this stage is not worth getting into a row with the neighbour - but you need to make your point for the future...

I suggest you go to him with the following line.... "Johnny, isnt that your friends car parked there like that on the footpath?..." . He'll probably admit and say it will be moved soon or whatever... then... "Well isnt he the auld sh1t for parking it there and blocking the footpath?... I heard a woman with a pram the other day fecking him... You know the cops can lift cars parked like that?....."

Message delivered. And you have your info on the time its likely to stay there... If hes inconsiderate or agressive you always have option to contact the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Kajemo wrote: »
    Like I said, its not the car parking outside the house thats bothering me, its the parking the car and taking off and leaving it there for over ten days.
    I'm a reasonable person if said neighbour had even mentioned it to me then not a bother, but to be so ignorant just to abandon it there and an empty drive way in their house, just kinda annoys me.
    yes true I waited ten days, but I was trying to be reasonable, moaning after a couple of days seemed a bit unreasonable to me, and yes as you put it I asked "internet strangers" for advice, but isn't that whats boards is about, getting advice and what not?

Does everybody else in the estate park in the same manner, and is the car currently causing an obstruction?

If its not really bothering you, or anyone else, then why get involved. The neighbour even though only uses their drive the odd time, still uses their drive. Maybe at some point whilst their friend is away, they need to keep their drice clear hence its not in use.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Does everybody else in the estate park in the same manner, and is the car currently causing an obstruction?

If its not really bothering you, or anyone else, then why get involved. The neighbour even though only uses their drive the odd time, still uses their drive. Maybe at some point whilst their friend is away, they need to keep their drice clear hence its not in use.

No most other people would use their drives, given the odd exception of vistiors etc.

Said neighbour never uses drive and wouldnt think twice about blocking other neighbours driveways and has done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I've heard that sometimes the air can leak out of 2 or 3 or 4 tyres when someone leaves their car parked for an extended period like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

RainyDay wrote: »
    I've heard that sometimes the air can leak out of 2 or 3 or 4 tyres when someone leaves their car parked for an extended period like that.

Yeah, that is going to help get it moved.

Great passive aggressive suggestions there people. You'd be wonderful neighbours do you know that?
    Cop on and grow up. Does it make you feel good that you can suggest from behind the safety of a keyboard and a screen that air can leave tyres or walking with a perambulator (yeah like what century are we in) extremely close to the car. Oh is that the bell ringing, Come junior infants line up.

OP I understand all that you have said, but You haven't answered if you are 100 percent sure that it is the neighbour who allowed the person to park their car there. I will agree it's bad form that they hadn't asked or informed you first.

Have you spoken to the neighbour at this stage?
    Will you upload a picture so we can all see the offending automobile?

Oh and CaraMay - How do you know it's the neighbour who put it there. All the anger is being directed at the neighbour who it appears to me is completely innocent. It is the driver of the car who parked it there. But still I say, leave it alone, catch the driver when they return and express your discontent with his parking.

Regardless of who owns it or who parked it, it is still illegal for a vehicle to be parked with wheels on a public footpath. We don't need a picture to judge it, the Gardai will fine you for one wheel on a path not to mind four!

I can't believe this at all.
    Why would you want to do that?
    FFS someone in the area where you live - LIVE - that is everyday you are beside each other, driving in front of and behind each other, standing next to each other at the local shop, saying hello to each other as you pass to and from the local shop, noticing if something is wrong, -(Hypothetical situation approaching) Like the old man in no 3 hasn't been seen in days. His bins are still out, oh let's call the council to complain on his ass. Irresponsible old man should have brought his bins in.

Seriously - I think you're all nuts. I'm glad I live where I live and have good neighbours. I'm out of this discussion I'm happy not to be living near any of you people. You want to involve the council and the guards for the smallest thing??? Where's your sense of community to the people you live among and with?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pride Before Ignorance

I can't believe this at all.
    Why would you want to do that?
    FFS someone in the area where you live - LIVE - that is everyday you are beside each other, driving in front of and behind each other, standing next to each other at the local shop, saying hello to each other as you pass to and from the local shop, noticing if something is wrong, -(Hypothetical situation approaching) Like the old man in no 3 hasn't been seen in days. His bins are still out, oh let's call the council to complain on his ass. Irresponsible old man should have brought his bins in.

Seriously - I think you're all nuts. I'm glad I live where I live and have good neighbours. I'm out of this discussion I'm happy not to be living near any of you people. You want to involve the council and the guards for the smallest thing??? Where's your sense of community to the people you live among and with?

+1000

Finally some common sense!! Talk to your neighbour for Christ sake! What if your house is burgled or something else bad happens. Will that neighbour who you called the Guards on give two hoots about you? A bit of community spirit and cooperation goes a long way.

Also, if someone parking outside your house for a couple of weeks is your biggest worry in life, you must be a very happy man/woman. If they are not blocking your driveway will you give it a bit of a rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They're parked on the footpath. That's illegal, and worth reporting. Most likely the owner will get a well-deserved ticket for parking illegally.

If it was legally parked for ten days, then it's not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

One of my near neighbours regularly parks her 151 car with all 4 wheels on the footpath completely blocking it.

There are loads of young kids in the area going up and down on scooters / bikes and one of these days one of them is going to inevitably leave a long scrape mark whilst trying to squeeze past.

Not only is it illegal but it is also very inconsiderate.

Why should kids / wheelchair users / visually impaired people be forced on to the road just because someone can't be bothered to park properly.

Report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

FFS someone in the area where you live - LIVE - that is everyday you are beside each other

Someone you live next to doesn't care that parking their car on the footpath forces pedestrians onto the road. Children, parents with prams, auld wans with zimmer frames, children on bikes - all of them prevented from safely using the footpath because of one inconsiderate git.
    If they are not blocking your driveway will you give it a bit of a rest?

Blocking a drive is a problem but blocking a footpath isn't? I'm alright jack, never mind about the others.

• Advertisement

+1000

Finally some common sense!! Talk to your neighbour for Christ sake! What if your house is burgled or something else bad happens. Will that neighbour who you called the Guards on give two hoots about you? A bit of community spirit and cooperation goes a long way.

Also, if someone parking outside your house for a couple of weeks is your biggest worry in life, you must be a very happy man/woman. If they are not blocking your driveway will you give it a bit of a rest?

eh maybe you should relax there, I never once mentioned calling the Gardai to report them I simply asked for some advice.
    I have plenty of community spirit and co-operation, but this goes both ways. If said neighbour had a bit of co-operation and community spirit they might have to thought to pass me the compliment and mention it to me.

No it is not my biggest worry in life and believe me I am a very very happy person.
    I came on to look for a bit of advice, that is all.

Advertisement