Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrets in the garden

Options
  • 06-07-2015 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭

It may have been a weasel or a stoat for all I know (even a mink - I hear they are hard to distinguish.

I came upon it in the strawberry bed looking nice and busy.

Should I be pleased to have it as a neighbour? What will it do ? Eat all my strawberries? Keep down the rabbits? Keep down the mice? Terrify (or better) the neighbours' cats?

For all the rabbits and now a ferret that seem to come into the garden I have yet to see any damage.

Live and let live?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Live and let vermin die. You have an ally in a ferret. Mustelids don't eat strawberries. Especially when there are rodents available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭amandstu

Wonder what he was busy doing . Would he also like insects because he was definitely interested in the soil?

No I didn't miss any strawberries .

I gather they are pretty vicious when cornered . So I ran it out.

It remind s me of a story from some while back. The lady of the house went to get the eggs from the hen house and put her hand on the fox!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I saw a rat in my garden today, you're a lucky man to have a ferret because one thing's for sure, you won't have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭amandstu

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I saw a rat in my garden today, you're a lucky man to have a ferret because one thing's for sure, you won't have both.

Do you know I saw a big one an hour ago. I wish I could tell the ferret where I had seen it.:)

Maybe that is why it was running when I saw it.:)

Advertisement