Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to withdraw money/close account

Options
  • 06-07-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I used my work address when I opened an account circa 2003 and was told at the time that I could withdraw money at any time but now BOI are refusing to allow me withdraw this money. I no longer work at that address and obviously wish to close the account. What do I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

I used my work address when I opened an account circa 2003 and was told at the time that I could withdraw money at any time but now BOI are refusing to allow me withdraw this money. I no longer work at that address and obviously wish to close the account. What do I do?
    Hi homenotaway,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.

We are sorry to hear that you wish to close your account with us. You can request to close your account in any Bank of Ireland branch. Please have your account details and photographic ID such as passport of driving license with you.

Alternatively, you can close your account by written request and post this letter to your account holding branch. Please include your account details, a contact number and your signature with this instruction.

If you require the balance to be transferred to a replacement account, we will require details of the beneficiary account i.e. account name, account number, sort code, IBAN & BIC code. If you require the balance to be issued to you by bank draft, please state who the draft should be made payable to.

Contact details for your branch can be found here.

We hope this helps and if there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know. 

Thanks, 
    Sharon

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭homenotaway

Hi Sharon, I've already been into my local branch and I'm told that there's nothing they can do about this. It's so unfair considering I was assured at the time of opening the account that there wouldn't be a problem using my work address!!

Hi Sharon, I've already been into my local branch and I'm told that there's nothing they can do about this. It's so unfair considering I was assured at the time of opening the account that there wouldn't be a problem using my work address!!
    Hi homenotaway,

If your account has become inactive in the meantime, it would need to be reactivated before you can access funds in the account and close it.

To reactivate your account, you will need to provide your branch with Photographic Identification such as passport or driver's license and proof of current permanent address. The following forms of proof of address are accepted:
    • Household utility bill (issued within the last 3 months)
    • Bank Statement from another financial institution
    • Revenue Commissioners letter
    • Credit Card statement

Thanks,
    Sharon

Hi homenotaway,

If your account has become inactive in the meantime, it would need to be reactivated before you can access funds in the account and close it.

To reactivate your account, you will need to provide your branch with Photographic Identification such as passport or driver's license and proof of current permanent address. The following forms of proof of address are accepted:
    • Credit Card statement

[*]

Thanks,
    Sharon
    [*]
    Hi Sharon, no, the account hadn't become inactive. The problem is the address!!

Hi homenotaway,

• Credit Card statement

[*]

Thanks,
    Sharon

[*]
    [*]
    Hi homenotaway,

The registered address on your account will not affect the closure of the account once you can provide the branch with Photographic Identification and proof of your current address.

If you would like to send us a private message with your full name, phone number and the name of your account holding branch we will be happy to arrange a call back from a representative to discuss this further.

To send us a private message, please click on the link in my signature below.

Thanks,
    Sharon

• Advertisement

Hi homenotaway,

• Credit Card statement

[*]

Thanks,
    Sharon

[*]

[*]
    Hi homenotaway,

The registered address on your account will not affect the closure of the account once you can provide the branch with Photographic Identification and proof of your current address.

If you would like to send us a private message with your full name, phone number and the name of your account holding branch we will be happy to arrange a call back from a representative to discuss this further.

To send us a private message, please click on the link in my signature below.

Thanks,
    Sharon
    [*]
    Hi Sharon, all sorted, account closed, thanks so much.

Advertisement