Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay 10k/half/full marathon

Options
  • 06-07-2015 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing it? has anyone done it? I see a full marathon is included this year . I've not taken part in previous years, but would like to experience a run in Galway, probably doing the 'half'...

( full would not be beyond me, but not sure if I've the motivation, and was so shattered after a full, that I didn't really get to enjoy myself afterwards , thinking it might be a better social occasion doing half)

Anyway thoughts appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Done the 10k five years ago just when i started running, it was well organised and good crowds participating. Only gripe is the entry fee is ridiculous, you don't get your moneys worth for what you pay IMHO. Do the Streets of Galway in August if you want a good race to do in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

not much accommodation left night of the Streets of Galway, not much affordable in the city anyway,but point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thebestone

Has anybody got details ; elevation, ; is the route through busy streets etc. Im interested in the full marathon but on an old thread i read that you have to run inbetween regular traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I did the half last year, it's more or less two laps of the prom. You go out on the road and come back in on the prom itself. It's very flat which a lot of people prefer but I find the flatness and concrete surface of the prom really tough on the legs and the lapped course doesn't help mentally. It was a really nice day for it last year with very little head wind but when you have a head wind it can make for a very tough race. The scenery is beautiful though and there's great support from the crowds.

I just checked the marathon route, it's four laps of the 10km route. In theory it sounds nice but after doing two laps last year, four wouldn't fill me with joy.

I haven't done it before but the Athlone half sounds like it's good value for money http://athlonehalfmarathon.com/enter/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

If you're doing or considering doing the full, you should note that the numbers are usually low 20/30. May be more interest in it this year as they seem to be promoting it a bit more. I did it a few times and enjoyed it but it's not for everyone

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

If you're doing or considering doing the full, you should note that the numbers are usually low 20/30. May be more interest in it this year as they seem to be promoting it a bit more. I did it a few times and enjoyed it but it's not for everyone

TbL

I think the marathon used to be tagged on unofficially for the old West of Ireland marathon crew and wasn't really open to the general public. It's a full on official event this year which they hope to grow as the Galway marathon from here on out. It's more or less 4 loops of the 10k with some adjustments to the old course as far as I know.

I've ran the half a few times & I've always liked the race (once you can deal with the price). It's a flat PB course once the weather plays ball. I have it in my head that there's is usually over 1000 entrants between the various races so I'm sure the marathon will be run alongside the 10k / half & even if there's small numbers in the full (I think about 150 minimum expected) I doubt you'll be out there on your own.

Jaysus, writing this reminds me I must register the missus. As a non-runner she decided back in February that she was going to run the half as she 'liked & wanted the medal'. I came home the next day & told her I'd registered her so no turning back (Didn't mention that she'd also get the medal for the 10k). Embarrassingly she's now running more than me at the minute & I still haven't registered her yet.

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    I think the marathon used to be tagged on unofficially for the old West of Ireland marathon crew and wasn't really open to the general public. It's a full on official event this year which they hope to grow as the Galway marathon from here on out. It's more or less 4 loops of the 10k with some adjustments to the old course as far as I know.

I've ran the half a few times & I've always liked the race (once you can deal with the price). It's a flat PB course once the weather plays ball. I have it in my head that there's is usually over 1000 entrants between the various races so I'm sure the marathon will be run alongside the 10k / half & even if there's small numbers in the full (I think about 150 minimum expected) I doubt you'll be out there on your own.

Jaysus, writing this reminds me I must register the missus. As a non-runner she decided back in February that she was going to run the half as she 'liked & wanted the medal'. I came home the next day & told her I'd registered her so no turning back (Didn't mention that she'd also get the medal for the 10k). Embarrassingly she's now running more than me at the minute & I still haven't registered her yet.

Yep was run as part of the old West of Ireland series and wasn't part of the official event per see.

If you do the marathon you'll definitely be running stretches of this on your own.

Flat course with a small drag from Blackrock to the caravan park turnoff and as the poster above states the weather could play havoc with a PB attempt.

TbL

As an NUIG Alumnus, I'd love to run in Galway.....without much effort I should be able to do the half,a full? well that's a bigger commitment and will have to see how the land lies.... might have a better day overall with the half, as I'll still be able to enjoy a meal or some social side to the event, rather than the 'intensive care' (hydration, staggering etc) of a full...

Incidentally other than an arrangement with a hotel, is there likely anywhere I could shower ? :)

You could go for a swim in Leisureland (you'd have to pay) and use the showers there

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Or you could take a dip in the beach just by the finishing line. Just ignore the sewerage treatment plant to your right :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

Full starts at 8.45, 10km at 9.30 and half at 11. I think you will have company for most of the full. Did it for the last 2 years and while its 4 loops it gets you ready for other marathons with alot more loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Did the half last yr, it is a fast level course except for a small hill out by the caravan park where the course double backs... Only negative was doing the loop twice, as someone said doing the full and having to run the same course four times would be a head wrecker, the 10k was well finished by the time the half started too and there was always someone next to me while running so not out there on your own... Weather was great last yr but I wouldn't fancy running into a headwind along the prom, was out there yesterday and was blowing a Gale, didnt even bother going for a walk... October can be hit or miss too... I haven't booked it yet but it is defo on my radar for this yr too...Price is about average for a half, doing the Killarney half next week and cost me €55 but includes a bus transfer to start... Another bonus is the tshirt is great quality and a nice medal too

It's slightly off topic, but do others here feel fatigue, day to day a lot of days? is it normal for regular,maybe even average club runners to feel that way?.

Spirogyra wrote: »
    It's slightly off topic, but do others here feel fatigue, day to day a lot of days? is it normal for regular,maybe even average club runners to feel that way?.

The plan I'm on works on running on tired legs so I feel tired most of the time, not drained but not 100% either. I'm averaging over 45 miles a week and was up over 50 back in March-April. On my taper the last few days so I'll prob feel less tired by next week. Kind of got used to it now. Hoping to slow down a bit after this half marathon next week but I'll find that hard after running six days a week since January:)

Is it normal to feel like bed at 8 or 8.30? tired around the house? ....not looking for medical advice, just wondering if a lot of people feel this way ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Anyone doing this? Managed to get a late entry form this morning. Apparently only 200 doing the full. Looking forward to it. Flat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Anyone doing this? Managed to get a late entry form this morning. Apparently only 200 doing the full. Looking forward to it. Flat :)

I'm doing it...can't wait actually! Did most of my running in Galway until a few years back and in my head the prom feels like home. Hoping this helps when I'm in the horrors! At least there are no surprises (apart from the weather and we are in Ireland after all) Running with a target in mind or for the scenery(x4)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

xElDeeX wrote: »
    I'm doing it...can't wait actually! Did most of my running in Galway until a few years back and in my head the prom feels like home. Hoping this helps when I'm in the horrors! At least there are no surprises (apart from the weather and we are in Ireland after all) Running with a target in mind or for the scenery(x4)?

I booked on a complete whim without even looking at the course- didnt realise it was looped ha! Gonna go for sub 3.30 or thereabouts, will be happy enough with that. Yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

I booked on a complete whim without even looking at the course- didnt realise it was looped ha! Gonna go for sub 3.30 or thereabouts, will be happy enough with that. Yourself?

At first I was a bit annoyed that it was going to be loops but I've got to grips with that in my head now. At least no surprises!
    Going for around 3:30 too. Should be there or thereabouts depending on weather and how the legs feel on the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Just signed up for the half.
    13.1 miles in the morning, Connacht Rugby match in the evening, exhaustion on Sunday I suspect.

• Advertisement

Weather forecast looking ok at the moment anyway... Wind from East so no gale blowing across the bay... Hopefully it stays like this...looking forward to it, nice flat course so a pb is always possible

If you haven't run for a while due to injury, hamstring, is it realistic to go straight into a half marathon? with no training in nearly 3 weeks ? I suppose it is but don't expect a decent time?.... anyone else here done similar ? :)

I pulled out of a HM ~6/7 weeks after a hamstring tear a couple of years ago.
    Granted, I had managed to tear both hamstrings, and had only barely started to get back on the road (3 miles was my limit before I really felt it), so I'm not sure its a direct comparison.

It's gonna have to be a personal decision, hard to not do a race you've signed up for, but sometimes you've just got to admit it may do more damage than good - only you can decide that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,165 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Dry but cool according to the forecast. Should be perfect running conditions. Looking forward to this. First go at a 10k. Feel confident I can get through it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

great race and fast course . wind is the only danger to a good time.

youngrun wrote: »
    great race and fast course . wind is the only danger to a good time.

The hourly forecasts are looking good for a calm morning so far.
    However, knowing Salthill, a calm day is a rare thing - I'll believe it when I see.

I pulled out of a HM ~6/7 weeks after a hamstring tear a couple of years ago.
    Granted, I had managed to tear both hamstrings, and had only barely started to get back on the road (3 miles was my limit before I really felt it), so I'm not sure its a direct comparison.

It's gonna have to be a personal decision, hard to not do a race you've signed up for, but sometimes you've just got to admit it may do more damage than good - only you can decide that though.

I'm going to give it a go , if I can't complete , at this stage, after 2 successful full marathons, I can handle failure to complete the half here, but want the day out anyway :) never run in Galway :)

How safe would belongings be at the start line by the way ? is there any locker's in the station? .

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I'm going to give it a go , if I can't complete , at this stage, after 2 successful full marathons, I can handle failure to complete the half here, but want the day out anyway :) never run in Galway :)

How safe would belongings be at the start line by the way ? is there any locker's in the station? .

I presume you mean the train station, I guess so, but maybe worth ringing the station directly to confirm.
    According to the official site faq, there's a storage area for belonging's (at owner's risk).
    That might be fine for a change of gear post race, but if you're bringing a full change of clothes, then I guess it's your call.

I haven't done this race before, so don't know how organised or restricted access to baggage area is.

I presume you mean the train station, I guess so, but maybe worth ringing the station directly to confirm.
    According to the official site faq, there's a storage area for belonging's (at owner's risk).
    That might be fine for a change of gear post race, but if you're bringing a full change of clothes, then I guess it's your call.

I haven't done this race before, so don't know how organised or restricted access to baggage area is.

Thanks Cormac, yes I mean the railway station, not the Garda :) I rang Galway Tourist Office and they said, Eyre Square Hackney's provide a baggage service, whose number is being answered by someone else, so now wondering whether that business still exists

Yes a change of clothes and presumably a little bit of money, a phone ,medication etc would be in the bag, unfortunately....will hope for the best :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

could anyone recommend somewhere to park close to the start please? we'll be travelling across form Meath tomorrow morning so will need to park somewhere close by, somewhere where we could pre-pay would be even better

Advertisement