Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay 10k/half/full marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

The only prepay I know of nearby is eyre square centre car park on Merchants Road. Its about 1km to the start at Nimmo's Pier.

Closer option would be Jury's Inn Car Park, or on street parking (I think max two hours) in the Claddagh area, so may need to top it up, and harder to come by if arriving after the 10k start.

There's also Hynes Car Park on the dock road - don't think it's prepay, but would be a little closer the Eyre Square one and you'll pass the entrance if coming from Dublin direction, via Lough Atalia.
    Actually, coming from the motorway, you'd want to follow signs for Galway City East and Docks rather than Galway City West.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

The only prepay I know of nearby is eyre square centre car park on Merchants Road. Its about 1km to the start at Nimmo's Pier.

Closer option would be Jury's Inn Car Park, or on street parking (I think max two hours) in the Claddagh area, so may need to top it up, and harder to come by if arriving after the 10k start.

There's also Hynes Car Park on the dock road - don't think it's prepay, but would be a little closer the Eyre Square one and you'll pass the entrance if coming from Dublin direction, via Lough Atalia.
    Actually, coming from the motorway, you'd want to follow signs for Galway City East and Docks rather than Galway City West.

ok thanks a million for the info. the Q Park was the only pre-pay one I could find alright

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

rodriquez wrote: »
    could anyone recommend somewhere to park close to the start please? we'll be travelling across form Meath tomorrow morning so will need to park somewhere close by, somewhere where we could pre-pay would be even better

I'd park in the cathedral car park....free at weekend so if you are there early you are sorted. Get onto the path by the river and follow that down to Jurys and the start area.

xElDeeX wrote: »
    I'd park in the cathedral car park....free at weekend so if you are there early you are sorted. Get onto the path by the river and follow that down to Jurys and the start area.

cheers for that, what do you reckon the chances of it having spaces at 10am tomorrow are like?

rodriquez wrote: »
    cheers for that, what do you reckon the chances of it having spaces at 10am tomorrow are like?

Ooops! Just double checked and its 4 euro for the day (pay and display) on Saturday. There always seem to be spots free but there is less capacity for parking spaces in general tomorrow as there is no parking along the prom.

• Advertisement

xElDeeX wrote: »

Not a bad idea - this would be the walking route

A little more direct (but not as scenic) would be this route

Just thought of another option - parking at the University in a P&D spot appears to be free and use this route along the canal to get to the Claddagh.

Near to the Cathedral if that's full.

thanks a million for all the suggestions folks, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

There will be plenty of parking on the dyke rd carpark, €4 for the day and would be a nice little jog over to the claddagh, nice little warm up jog... Free parking all around salthill and would be a nice mile or so jog to starting line... The cathedral would prob be the best but I'd say it will be full quick enough on a sat morning... As for a place to keep your belongings, that's why I'm bringing the wife :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Thanks for all the parking suggestions- hope everyone has a great race tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Dyke Road would be the handiest for those who are collecting our Packs in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 tech232

Any results posted yet ?

Can't find any but my garmin says I ran the half in 1:34 so I'm over the moon... First run as an over 40 and a new pb to boot ��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Red Tag did the timing so It will be later this evening when they go live online. 3:50 for the full with 15 Miles at PMP happy out to finish. Perfect day for running. I also got my arse slapped when been overtaken by a faster runner then me.

Sorry Ger that was me... Your ass looked just too cute not to haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

ger664 wrote: »
    Red Tag did the timing so It will be later this evening when they go live online. 3:50 for the full with 15 Miles at PMP happy out to finish. Perfect day for running. I also got my arse slapped when been overtaken by a faster runner then me.

Know a certain Lemon with form for that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

Results for 10th and HM are up on the red tag timing website

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Results are not right Roman prodius of Moldova won in 6540 odd travers second in 66 high . McCarthy third after winning ten k some running 67 high . times from finish clock . Jennings down in results didn't see her
    Some great racing . Minnock 227 long run ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

That's a pretty decent HM from John Travers at his first real attempt! I think he ran one easy in Longford recently too - wonder what the long term plan is?

Was anyone's elses time way off from their watch... I've used my Garmin in a lot of races and know there is always a slight discrepancy, most was about 40 secs and that was in a full marathon, but there was a difference of 1min 46secs today for some reason. That seems a lot for a half,last half I did was only 20secs of a difference. Bit peed off as I was pacing myself for a sub 1:35 with the watch and came in at 1:34:13 according to it. If I knew I could have pushed it out a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

My time seemed spot on anyway.

Despite ALL the advice i managed to get a parking ticket!!! Im such an eejit ha. Great race though. Was my 3rd marathon in 5 weeks and after mile 14 my legs just said "ah here, we're slowing down now" and dropped from a pace of around 7.45 to 8.00. Got home in 3.26 scraping off over 2 mins. Great race and incredible atmosphere. Thought the laps would be a bit meh but enjoyed every minute of it. Well done everyone

• Advertisement

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Was anyone's elses time way off from their watch... I've used my Garmin in a lot of races and know there is always a slight discrepancy, most was about 40 secs and that was in a full marathon, but there was a difference of 1min 46secs today for some reason. That seems a lot for a half,last half I did was only 20secs of a difference. Bit peed off as I was pacing myself for a sub 1:35 with the watch and came in at 1:34:13 according to it. If I knew I could have pushed it out a bit more.

Were you 1:46 over your watch time on the official clock?
    I was in the first pen, for sub 1:40, and my watch clocked exactly with my chip time.
    Any chance you could have accidentaly paused your watch at some point?

Sacksian wrote: »
    That's a pretty decent HM from John Travers at his first real attempt! I think he ran one easy in Longford recently too - wonder what the long term plan is?

Hardly the marathon ?!

Euro Cross I guess , a good winter of strength work and a QT for Rio ? Ditto Mccarthy, who looks very fit .

Thought the winning time was 65.38 , was on the clock which I saw not 66+ on redtag.

Were you 1:46 over your watch time on the official clock?
    I was in the first pen, for sub 1:40, and my watch clocked exactly with my chip time.
    Any chance you could have accidentaly paused your watch at some point?

Sorry I probably phrased my question wrong. My watch time was the same as my chip time over the finish line but my watch distance was different. When I synced my watch is said half marathon in a time of 1:34:13 but the actual distance when I crossed the line was 13.33 miles in a time of 1:35:47. Was more annoyed cause I was using my watch to pace each mile which I did perfectly only to get an official time of over 1:35 when I was looking at a sub 1:35. I could have pushed it harder too if I had known, kinda frustrating as I don't know if I'll be doing another half this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

youngrun wrote: »
    Hardly the marathon ?!

Euro Cross I guess , a good winter of strength work and a QT for Rio ? Ditto Mccarthy, who looks very fit .

Thought the winning time was 65.38 , was on the clock which I saw not 66+ on redtag.

Not the marathon, but I'd say he must have an eye on "moving up" (given his coach!), possibly to 5k for Rio? You're probably right about Euro Cross.

It's very hard to know what his best distance is long-term - he doesn't have much experience over 10,000m either, but he ran 29.04 with a stitch earlier this year in Highgate, so could probably go a good bit quicker again.

I presume Pollock will be missing Euro cross this year, due to marathon exertions, maybe Clohisey too? Might be a chance for some guys to make the team at the trials.

Sorry I probably phrased my question wrong. My watch time was the same as my chip time over the finish line but my watch distance was different. When I synced my watch is said half marathon in a time of 1:34:13 but the actual distance when I crossed the line was 13.33 miles in a time of 1:35:47. Was more annoyed cause I was using my watch to pace each mile which I did perfectly only to get an official time of over 1:35 when I was looking at a sub 1:35. I could have pushed it harder too if I had known, kinda frustrating as I don't know if I'll be doing another half this year.

I think I follow what you're saying now.
    My watch clocked in at 13.14 miles, so a little over, but pretty close all the same. Whenever I'm racing I always check the mile markers vs my watch, to ensure I'm ok from a watch vs course distance perspective.
    So over a course of 13.1 miles, your watch measured 0.23 long. With a given +/- 5% rating on a gps watch, that could be anything from 12.445-13.755, so your watch was within expected accuracy.
    In reality, watches are mostly more accurate than that, especially on an open course like the Galway Bay Half, with no tall buildings to block a signal.
    The most likely place to get extra distance, is with the racing line. The course will be measured along the shortest route between two turns. I couldn't get over the amount of people who were hogging the left of the road where they were a few long sweeping right bends - you're giving yourself unnecessary extra distance.
    It's something to note for your next race.

Cheers Cormac, was thinking about checking times at mile markers after that, although there was so many different markers for the 3 races I didn't know where I was lol. I know there's always a slight difference it's why I gave myself a bit of breathing space but I couldn't believe the time was 1:45 quicker. As I said the most I've seen with the watch was about 40 secs and that was on a full. Live and learn I suppose, don't see many more HM coming up next few months either. Was gonna try and push for a sub 1:30 before the year is out but not looking too good.

Cheers Cormac, was thinking about checking times at mile markers after that, although there was so many different markers for the 3 races I didn't know where I was lol. I know there's always a slight difference it's why I gave myself a bit of breathing space but I couldn't believe the time was 1:45 quicker. As I said the most I've seen with the watch was about 40 secs and that was on a full. Live and learn I suppose, don't see many more HM coming up next few months either. Was gonna try and push for a sub 1:30 before the year is out but not looking too good.

I clocked 26.6 for the full. I was keeping 5 seconds faster than my goal pace but knew at halfway it was gone as we were way off already. Not upset as big pb anyway but what did annoy me was the congestion on the last lap especially on the prom. So frustrating to be constantly weaving at that stage of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Waterford half in early December.

Perfect conditions for this regularly weather wise
    Was a spectator and it was great to see the running highs among people as well as some very good running
    The top lads in half and full hit a good bit of traffic second lap and last two in marathon , i wonder should they rejig route and use both sides Grattan road for e g
    Runs like clockwork other than that

• Advertisement

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Waterford half in early December.

was actually looking at this, followed the thread on here too. Little bit far for me though, im living in Mayo. Originally from limerick so could stop over there in my parents night before and break the journey for myself. Course still waiting to be approved, wonder is it flat.

Advertisement