Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Killinick/Rosslare area Wexford

Options
  • 06-07-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi all I'm just looking for what will hopefully be a solution to my long standing broadband issue.
    See we got rid of Eircom a couple years ago because we didn't need the phone line and only wanted internet.
    Cue us joining Carnsore Broadband (satellite service for those unaware) and to be honest it was very good. A relatively fast and consistent service, but at the time the company was quite new.
    Fast forward to now, with a connection that drops ten times a day. Sometimes we spend hours unable to load even the most basic of sites. It's unusable and terribly frustrating.

So if anyone had any idea of better providers (more consistency is key) or maybe even a better modem/router set up that might improve the situation (I can detail current set up if needed)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭the block

Hi all I'm just looking for what will hopefully be a solution to my long standing broadband issue.
    See we got rid of Eircom a couple years ago because we didn't need the phone line and only wanted internet.
    Cue us joining Carnsore Broadband (satellite service for those unaware) and to be honest it was very good. A relatively fast and consistent service, but at the time the company was quite new.
    Fast forward to now, with a connection that drops ten times a day. Sometimes we spend hours unable to load even the most basic of sites. It's unusable and terribly frustrating.

So if anyone had any idea of better providers (more consistency is key) or maybe even a better modem/router set up that might improve the situation (I can detail current set up if needed)

Thanks

I jus got eircom broadband only package.25 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

Do you have to pay line rental on top of that though, because if so that's not an option currently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Unfortunately you don't have a big choice:
    1. Eircom via DSL
    2. Carnsore Broadband
    3. Rocketbroadband - not recommending at all.
    4. Permanet - Reliable but slow.

Yeah we'd go with Eircom today if we didn't have to pay line rental because we can't really afford that.

So I guess is there any solid satellite compatible modem/routers we can buy to replace our rubbish tp link one? Would it be possible also to set up both a 2.4GHz and 5GHz with our signal to combat the sheer amount of devices we have (4 laptops, desktop PC is only wired connection and then also phones and tablets etc)

Thanks Trompele anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

MagicHumanDoll. Carnsore broadband is not satellite based (they use satellite like looking dish), they use unlicensed 5 GHz band to connect your "dish" to a nearby mast. Tplinks are generally good devices (for the price) but if your house is big enough, you might look to either move your modem the middle of the house or buy wireless extender. It could be also that your modem is faulty and might need replacement but it's to difficult to guess from information provided.

• Advertisement

Oh that's really interesting, I'm completely useless with internet systems so I'm trying to learn to at least improve consistency.
    The issue of moving the modem to the centre is something I don't understand why we haven't done yet (I'm 18, not my house haha) we have an extender that works quite well but only when the broadband itself is having a rare 'good day'. It drops completely about 10 times a day for maybe 5 minutes then pops back up. Speedtests, jitter tests etc online all show a ridiculously undulating graph with huge spikes. I just want a connection that stays relatively smooth without the spikes to be honest. Thanks again really appreciate you helping!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

If you can get eircom dsl at your address then you can get Vodafone broadband via eircom phone line.

It's €38 a month total price including line rental.

Advertisement