Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leadership of Irish Muslims

• 06-07-2015 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭

Reading an article in yesterday's Sunday Independent on the disagreement between Ali Selim and Umar al-Qadri, it led me to ponder how Islam in Ireland governs and regulates itself. Is it like the Christian denominations, with a national hierarchy that makes pronouncements, and members reach their positions by virtue of climbing the stages through education and experience? With two rival groupings of clerics seemingly emerging, what checks and balances exist to ensure neither organisation strays from moderation? And are ordinary Muslims bound by the edicts of their leaders, or are they free to interpret religion according to their own personal viewpoint?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Sunni Islam has no leadership per se, and there are multiple Sunni Islam organization in Ireland and the UK (and the world over), and its pretty much up to an individual which one they agree with.

I am unsure of Shia's, as I do know some Shia's have a leader in the Aga Khan (basically a Pope for Ismaili Shia's), and others would follow various Imam's.

Advertisement