Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Dublin Swim

• 06-07-2015 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Anyone on here doing it ?
    All signed up myself, looking forward to it:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Grand Dublin Swim....well that's what it's meant to be called. Some copyright thing... Will miss it myself but know the lads who are organising it and they will do a good job.

Enjoy Stevo....

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Plan to sign up tomorrow, just can't decide between 750 and 1500. Anyone who did it last year, is it with or against current/flow or a mixture of both? I'd swim 1500 in a pool comfortably enough but I haven't swam in open water at all this year.

mickmc7 wrote: »
    Plan to sign up tomorrow, just can't decide between 750 and 1500. Anyone who did it last year, is it with or against current/flow or a mixture of both? I'd swim 1500 in a pool comfortably enough but I haven't swam in open water at all this year.

If I were you Id just go for a swim in sea to acclimatize to water and a feel for it before this swim. Some say when they did the 750, it was over so quick that they regretted not doing the 1500, but only you know your ability.

Hightide on that day is close to 2pm so the tide will be on its way in, depending on course you may find it hard going up one side and fly back the other way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Definitely do the 1500, the 750 is a waste of money apart from anything else. If you can do 1500 in the pool you will fly 1500 in the more buoyant sea water stretch of the Liffey this is held on. Flow was fine last year, was run on an ebbing tide so the outbound 750 to the mouth of the river was fast, and the trip back upriver to the famine ship was brisk enough because everyone moved to the side and out of the tidal flow area.

Cracking day for it last year, definitely recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Anyone having any bother from them regarding confirming emails ?
    I've sent information over three times now and this bloke Fabio keeps asking me to send it again.
    If I turn up Saturday and there's any issues Fabio will be going for a dip.

• Advertisement

Stevo1983 wrote: »
    Anyone having any bother from them regarding confirming emails ?
    I've sent information over three times now and this bloke Fabio keeps asking me to send it again.
    If I turn up Saturday and there's any issues Fabio will be going for a dip.
    Yeah, I got an email today from the main man!
    "Thanks for signing up for the J.F.Dunne Insurances GDS 2015.

Your REF. number:

In order to proceed with your registration, we require some additional information:

*Please confirm your open water experience:

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
    Fabio"

You can reg on the day if you're having issues don't worry.

Lads just been talking to one of the organisers.

There is 3 x waves of 1500 metres

1pm wave is elite swimmers
    2pm wave is intermediate swimmer's
    3pm wave is novice swimmer's

I was told there is 50 goodie bags left for whoever registers online.

mad m wrote: »
    Lads just been talking to one of the organisers.

There is 3 x waves of 1500 metres

1pm wave is elite swimmers
    2pm wave is intermediate swimmer's
    3pm wave is novice swimmer's

I was told there is 50 goodie bags left for whoever registers online.

I'm pretty sure those wave times were the opposite when I was registering online, ie elite were going off last. I could be mistaken.

I'm pretty sure those wave times were the opposite when I was registering online, ie elite were going off last. I could be mistaken.

You were right, so much for getting it from horses mouth:rolleyes:

Wave Check –in time
    12:00 AM Fun/Children’s 250 metre 10:00 – 11:15 AM
    12:00 AM Novice 750 metre 1000 10:00 – 11:15 AM
    13:00 PM Intermediate 1600 metre 11:15 – 12:15 AM
    14:00 PM Advanced 1600 metre 12:15 – 13:15 PM
    15:00 PM Elite 1600 metre 13:15 – 14:15 PM

Teddy Bear Picnic
    There will be a children’s Teddy Bear Picnic taking place at the chill zone with entertainer and some games. This will take place between 11:30 and 15:30.
    Presentation
    The presentation of medals and trophies will take place at 16:30 at the chill area as outlined on the map.
    After Party
    There will be a post swim celebration at Café en Seine on Saturday Night. There will a shuttle bus at 21:30 from Jury’s Hotel Custom House Quay going to Café en Seine kindly provided by Dublin Mini Coaches

• Advertisement

I registered in the 1pm wave just to be away as quickly as possible on the day. May not be much drafting on offer but should be a decent event regardless. I'll be in the minority in a wetsuit I guess but good luck to anyone using this as a qualifier for the Liffey swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 mojitojoe

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I registered in the 1pm wave just to be away as quickly as possible on the day. May not be much drafting on offer but should be a decent event regardless. I'll be in the minority in a wetsuit I guess but good luck to anyone using this as a qualifier for the Liffey swim.

I thought i'd be in the minority in skins. I hope your right.
    Enjoy the race

Well how did you all get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Went well. First open water swim in over a month. Done the 750m swim.
    Think I came second. Bloke at the dock told me so but true to form and being the empty head I am I left my wrist chip in my kit bag only noticing before I jumped in. Couldn't catch the bloke ahead of me, he kicked off 100m from the end.
    Good day out to set me up for the 2k swim in Bray next weekend.

I signed up for the 1500m (intermediate 1pm wave) after some encouraging words on here and so glad I did. I absolutely loved it, what a buzz! I remember watching the 750m guys go off and thinking to myself I've made a terrible mistake, the 750 looked so long. And as I started off the 1500 I'd look ahead while taking a breadth and it just seemed miles away to the turn! But I just settled down into my stroke and took it one buoy at a time. It was over in no time. I heard somebody say afterwards he measured it as 1.9k on his watch, suppose that might just be the lines he took. Haven't seen any times yet, think I was around the 35 minute mark. Well done to all involved, it ran very smoothly, everyone in great form. The baggage area was a bit of a free for all but that's just me being picky. 10/10 for me. Great event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

By the time the 3 o'clock race was going it was a mammoth swim for the second half back upstream. Some dodgy slip streaming going on too. ;-)

Freddio wrote: »
    By the time the 3 o'clock race was going it was a mammoth swim for the second half back upstream. Some dodgy slip streaming going on too. ;-)

You did well...25mins....

Times are available now. Was surprised to see my time as 38 minutes, it didn't feel like a slow or difficult swim. As said already I wouldn't be that used to open water swimming but I didn't think I'd be 8-10 minutes slower than the pool, especially in the wetsuit. I'm not complaining, it is what it is! I've certainly got a taste for it now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

I signed up for the 1500m (intermediate 1pm wave) ... I heard somebody say afterwards he measured it as 1.9k on his watch, suppose that might just be the lines he took.
    Times are available now. Was surprised to see my time as 38 minutes, it didn't feel like a slow or difficult swim. As said already I wouldn't be that used to open water swimming but I didn't think I'd be 8-10 minutes slower than the pool, especially in the wetsuit. I'm not complaining, it is what it is! I've certainly got a taste for it now though.

I'd love to see a link to a Garmin map of the race if anyone has one to see what the actual distance was, perhaps if you don't want to publish it you could pm a link.

I was also a good bit slower than expected and felt I was swimming uphill on the return but the main issue was probably that my sighting was terrible and I could well have swam a few hundred meters extra.

It was definitely longer than 1.6K. The timing chip last year was in front of the nose of the Jeanie Johnston by 50m and this year behind the JJ by 150m at the entry gangway. Turn buoy was in the same place as last year as far as I could tell from the shoreline. Swam pretty straight the whole way and clocked 1.91K, mind you my 910XT also under-read by 65s compared to the chip time too so I don't know what's going on! :)

• Advertisement

It was definitely longer than 1.6K. The timing chip last year was in front of the nose of the Jeanie Johnston by 50m and this year behind the JJ by 150m at the entry gangway. Turn buoy was in the same place as last year as far as I could tell from the shoreline. Swam pretty straight the whole way and clocked 1.91K, mind you my 910XT also under-read by 65s compared to the chip time too so I don't know what's going on! :)

It measures 1600 m on google earth. Don't forget if you swim at 2 miles an hour against a 1 mile an hour current, your only going at 1 mile an hour

Yep understand that, but when I pressed stop at the timing wires my time was 65 seconds faster than the official time accorded in the results. Never had a problem with the 910XT before but maybe it was losing signal or during some of that heavy current stretch the speed was so slow the watch started auto-pausing thinking I was resting :)

Yep understand that, but when I pressed stop at the timing wires my time was 65 seconds faster than the official time accorded in the results. Never had a problem with the 910XT before but maybe it was losing signal or during some of that heavy current stretch the speed was so slow the watch started auto-pausing thinking I was resting :)
    Apologies, I was just carrying on with the distance theme, my mobile is putting all your post in mine

Well done yourself btw - solid swim. Great to see some serious swimmers out this year, can anyone stop the indomitable duo Conor and Shani? :)

Clever move by ILDSA to open the doors to Triathlon Ireland members - although I'm not sure all the swimmers will agree ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

had similar issue recently with (different make) GPS watch .... but when I added up the splits they matched the chip time rather than the total elapsed time :rolleyes:

am in contact with manufacturer's technical support about it

I was thinking some more about this and if my watch had auto-paused because I was going so slowly :) then the distance would not have kept chugging away, and as I mentioned earlier it over-read on distance too, almost 300m - so it doesn't make sense to me.

Then I realised that the 13:00 wave didn't actually get underway at 13:00 at all but actually at 13:01 plus change maybe the chip timing was hard-wired to the race clock at the gangway, which is why Stephen was screaming at everyone to get into the water quickly :)

The NAC race, they had a matt we walked/ran over before we jumped in. As soon as we walked over the matt your time started. So it was in your best interests to get into water quickly.

That might explain it, definitely took more than a minute to get everyone and over to the buoy before the hooter went, the race clock had already passed 13:00

Otherwise my rather expensive Garmin watch is useless, don't want to contemplate that :)

Advertisement