Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setup a vpn on my home network?

Options
  • 06-07-2015 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

i have upc broadband. i want to create a vpn to my home network when i'm out and about.

i dont want to mess too much with the upc setup (horizon box). id like to just add my own device to the network that will allow me create a vpn that i can connect to remotely from my phone or my laptop when im in public wifi etc

any suggestions? hope this makes sense?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You can use openVPN to create an encrypted connection. However in order to access your machine from outside of your network you need a public IP address.

I don't know if UPC allocate external IP addresses or if they just give you an internal UPC address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭user99

FSL wrote: »
    You can use openVPN to create an encrypted connection. However in order to access your machine from outside of your network you need a public IP address.

I don't know if UPC allocate external IP addresses or if they just give you an internal UPC address.

I dont want to leave a machine on all the time.

I was hoping i could buy a switch or router type device to connect to network?

If your home network is not on then you can't connect to it whether you are at home or on the other side of the planet.

Your home network has to be connected to the internet in order to access it from outside.

You don't want any Tom, Dick or Harry connecting so that is why you would use an encrypted VPN. You would have the VPN server running on one of the machines on your home network. The only unsolicited incoming traffic you would allow would be the type (TCP or UDP) you specified on the VPN server and the Port you specified for the VPN server. You would then set up your router to accept incoming traffic for the VPN and pass it to the machine on which the VPN server is running.

You can run a vpn server on Raspberry Pi.

Personally I would run VPN clients on all the other machines and only allow connections to them via the VPN similarly I would only allow access to the Raspberry Pi via the VPN

i used to have upc before with just the upc modem. i had my own asus router with it. that asus router supported vpn access. i could connect to my lan remotely without having any machines on. i just had to have the router on with active internet connection.

i want to do the same now, but i just want to sorta put in a basic router or switch which will allow me vpn in remotely.

does that make more sense?

When you say you could connect to your lan with no machines on do you mean you could remotely access your router or you could view a security camera attached to your router, or you could route your browsing through your home connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A decent router will give you IPSEC access. Or you can run OpenVPN on a host behind.

TBH with the style of your posting I suspect OpenVPN may be a little too advanced, it can be a bit of a monster to config. Buy something off the shelf.

i feel like maybe ive over complicated my question here.

previously i had upc modem connected to my own router. my own router supported vpn access and i had this setup using the very simple wizard on the router.

now i dont have upc modem. i have upc horizon box. and i dont control the horizon box myself. im thinking i can just setup the same router on the network, ask that a static lan ip is setup for the router on the network, and setup the vpn again?

(all the above assuming the wan ip is static / known when connecting to my vpn from outside)

i dont know. am i making sense?

As you have the router just turn DHCP and wireless off on the Horizon and connect a lan port on the horizon to to he wan port on your router. Your router should then behave in the same way as it did when connected to the upc modem.

Looking at details of the Horizon box I'm not sure if you can access the necessary settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the horizon junker allows for a DMZ it should work.

Without your own router sitting on the edge of the network you need to allow the required protocol to pass through so you will ALWAYS need to change settings on the horizon or replace it. If its a situation where you have zero access to the horizon then you cant do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement