Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged account fees because my graduate account was terminated early

Options
  • 06-07-2015 8:26pm

Hi,

I graduated with a Masters degree in July 2014. I went into my local Bank of Ireland branch (which, at the time, was a branch in Co. Cork) to get my account switched to a graduate account. I supplied proof of my graduation date to them and was told that this wouldn't be a problem, that the graduate account would last for one year when set up.

However, it turns out that my graduate account was switched to a regular current account on the 3rd of February 2015. And as such I've been charged €26.15 for quarterly fees, which I don't feel I should have been eligible for as I should still have a graduate account until the middle of this month. I am now living and working in Dublin, and as I work 5 days a week I don't exactly have a chance to go back down to my home town and speak to my former home branch. However, when I spoke to a customer service representative at my nearest branch, she said there was nothing she could do for me (other than find out the date my account was switched) and that I would have to go to my "home" branch if I wanted to find out why the account was switched early and to try and get the fees refunded.

It seems kind of strange to me that I would have to go back home; surely the documents I submitted to the branch in my old town could simply be emailed or faxed to my nearest branch? Going back home to try and sort this out would cost more than the fees itself, and even if it didn't I simply don't have the time to do this. 

Any help with this please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

Hi,

I graduated with a Masters degree in July 2014. I went into my local Bank of Ireland branch (which, at the time, was a branch in Co. Cork) to get my account switched to a graduate account. I supplied proof of my graduation date to them and was told that this wouldn't be a problem, that the graduate account would last for one year when set up.

However, it turns out that my graduate account was switched to a regular current account on the 3rd of February 2015. And as such I've been charged €26.15 for quarterly fees, which I don't feel I should have been eligible for as I should still have a graduate account until the middle of this month. I am now living and working in Dublin, and as I work 5 days a week I don't exactly have a chance to go back down to my home town and speak to my former home branch. However, when I spoke to a customer service representative at my nearest branch, she said there was nothing she could do for me (other than find out the date my account was switched) and that I would have to go to my "home" branch if I wanted to find out why the account was switched early and to try and get the fees refunded.

It seems kind of strange to me that I would have to go back home; surely the documents I submitted to the branch in my old town could simply be emailed or faxed to my nearest branch? Going back home to try and sort this out would cost more than the fees itself, and even if it didn't I simply don't have the time to do this. 

Any help with this please?
    Hi Homer J. Fong,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.

We're sorry to hear this. If you would like to send us a private message with your full name, phone number and the local branch that you visited we would be happy to look into this for you.

To send us a private message, please click on the link in my signature below.

Thanks,
    Sharon

Thanks Sharon, will send PM now. :)

Advertisement