Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail Website

Options
  • 06-07-2015 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I'm looking at upgrading my website. I currently have an OS commerce site which is proving very difficult to keep going. The problem is the website I have at the moment doesn't make any money. I have about 2000 products and need a good few extras with it.
    Any advise on building a new website at a low cost. I just want to have some idea what I'm talking about before I go talking to developers. I got my first website done on freelancer and was very green going into to it. don't want to make the same mistake again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Have a good look at improving what you currently have as a redo from the start doesn't necessarily mean an improvement. Some times/too often, a redo brings in a new set of issues which will take time to realise when you might have been better off tackling the issues with the current web presence. Hard to tell without a gander at the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

iamafoodie wrote: »
    The problem is the website I have at the moment doesn't make any money.
    That's the consequence of the problem(s), but not the problem itself.

The real question here is "Why isn't your site making money?".

It is possible that a bad design/execution of the site isn't helping. It's far more likely however that either your products aren't right (low demand), your prices aren't right or your marketing just isn't making people aware of your site (the last one being incredibly common).

I'd suggest reviewing your marketing strategy (and/or your business plan) in advance of building a new site. If you get in touch with business supports in your area there's a fair chance they'd be able to provide you with a mentor able to assist in the task. Even if you do end up rebuilding the site the work you do in those areas would greatly stand to you.

(It might be worth looking at the Online Trading Voucher scheme [link there is for Dublin City, but available in other areas too] currently in effect if you might meet the criteria there. You'd get [hopefully, all depends on the speakers] solid advice on how to improve your entire web presence, from marketing to site execution, along with access to the funding itself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iamafoodie

Thanks for the replies. I will look at the marketing of the website 1st and see if there is scope for improvement on sales that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Deff look into the Online Trading Voucher....did a website for a lady recently who got it.

They also say it can be used along with other things as well which might help you with the marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 niall19922

iamafoodie wrote: »
    I'm looking at upgrading my website. I currently have an OS commerce site which is proving very difficult to keep going. The problem is the website I have at the moment doesn't make any money. I have about 2000 products and need a good few extras with it.
    Any advise on building a new website at a low cost. I just want to have some idea what I'm talking about before I go talking to developers. I got my first website done on freelancer and was very green going into to it. don't want to make the same mistake again.

Hi

Not only does a website need to look good and function correctly. You also need to have very good and strong usability techniques in your website. This is very important, this is all about how easy it is to use your website. I would Suggest wordpress woocomerce theme, a nice clean minimal design appealing to the eye and an easy to use website. Combine this with SEO techniques and your on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The real question here is "Why isn't your site making money?".

+1

OP, before you start ripping anything to pieces or spending any money, check your stats. The obvious first thing to look for is the number of site visitors, if your site is getting no visitors then a new site is not necessarily going to be the solution. Learn what your site visitors are doing, where they're looking, at what point they leave your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bathroomly

You mentioned your site isn't making any sales - as Graham mentioned, look at your stats first. If you aren't getting any traffic, there's no opportunity to sell your products.

Are you currently marketing your site? And if so, how?

While I am a firm believer that how your website is presented visually, will impact your user behavior... Often, if your site is too hard to use, it also won't convert. There are so many factors that result in low or no sales. Do you want to provide a link to it so we can have a look, before you spend money on redeveloping it.

You also mentioned that its 'proving very difficult to keep going' - is this down to the platform, the costs involved or the motivation?
    If it's platform orientated, I'd immediately suggest a rebuild. If it's the latter, there are other alternatives to a design.

Advertisement