Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

State of courts at Wimbledon?

• 06-07-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Am self confessed as one of the Sports loving people who only becomes a Tennis Fan for Wimbledon fortnight.
    Have always wondered why the courts grass isn't in 'pristine' condition pre start of Tournament ...even tonight watching Andersons great battle with Novak on court 1 it was noticeable how worn the baseline was.
    Would the members of Wimbledon be playing there right up to the Championships taking place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

It was in pristine condition up until about last Wednesday. The heat practically baked the court!! It's looking dusty and brown now. I think the members play on some of the courts pre-Wimbledon. Then they're tidied up for the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

even tonight watching Andersons great battle with Novak on court 1 it was noticeable how worn the baseline was.

:confused:

but they've been played on for over a week, its only normal there going to show some wear

its grass not hardcourt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

All the courts are like carpets before the tournament, its only grass afterall its just wear and tear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I watched tennis 24/7 on Monday and Tuesday and the courts were immaculate. Sure they had temps in the mid30's on Wednesday. That's gonna cook any grass surface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Rikand wrote: »
    I watched tennis 24/7 on Monday and Tuesday and the courts were immaculate. Sure they had temps in the mid30's on Wednesday. That's gonna cook any grass surface

Exactly. It's amazing they can keep them as good as they are by the end of the tournament with all the games and all the jumping for serves, twisting and turning etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Did you see the close up of the player's
    shoes on bbc.
    Whatever the sole has on it literally slices the grass away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Floppybits

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Did you see the close up of the player's
    shoes on bbc.
    Whatever the sole has on it literally slices the grass away.

The shoes used at Wimbledon all have dimples or pimples (I forget the phrase) on the sole that helps the players with grip on the grass court. The courts are always worn looking by the second week of Wimbledon. In the days of serve and volleying you would have worn part up the middle of the court and then a worn part at the net as well as the baseline.

I heard Henman talking the other day how they dont use all the courts everyday but rotate them, except for the all the show courts.

Advertisement