Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed

Options
  • 06-07-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

What is considered slow broadband?
    Just done a speedtest and it reads download 0.40Mbps and upload 0.71 Mbps.
    I am paying 40Euro a month with Digiweb and have a satellite installed. I am not happy with the speed lately.
    Is this speed considered bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've peaked at more than 125x faster than that on my phone.

Anything less than 4Mb really isnt broadband. Personally I wouldnt live anywhere with less an 20Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

ED E wrote: »

Anything less than 4Mb really isnt broadband. Personally I wouldnt live anywhere with less an 20Mb.

Nowhere round here that gets those speeds. 2 meg on a good day, 0.9 on a bad day. Eircom is the only choice here - would switch... but to what?

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 44 myrscossie

Adjusting the satellite may help your speed it could be out of ailment
    I think Digiweb is the worst ISP in the country and satellite is not as good as 3G if you can get it at all DSL is the next best then fibre.
    ESB and Vodafone are being out fibre to the door by putting the fibre cables on the over head power lines much faster and cheaper then digging up the roads there's an article here about it click the link at the bottom of the article were it says videos and downloads will bring up a map, will take a year or 2 before its more wide spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

myrscossie wrote: »
    ESB and Vodafone are being out fibre

I wait for Eircom fiber since 2013 when they advertised it in my area. Have 12Mbmp cable at the moment with best ever happen 8Mbps (average 6Mbps with drops to 2-3Mbps in rush hours)...

Advertisement