Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Viral Facebook video speaking out about domestic violence (Read mod note in the OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Folks

The partner is now on the front page of the Evening Herald and has made a statement so is now out in the open.

It seems he admits a push but not a punch. He admits to cheating.

he is ashamed of his actions etc.

as mentioned earlier the focus remains on the physical element of the claims.

Riskymove wrote: »
    Folks

The partner is now on the front page of the Evening Herald and has made a statement so is now out in the open.

It seems he admits a push but not a punch. He admits to cheating.

he is ashamed of his actions etc.

as mentioned earlier the focus remains on the physical element of the claims.

And now his Solicitor has his head in his hands...

I think 9 out of 10 Solicitors would have told him to bite his tongue, or issue the simplest of denials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

wonder if the other woman whos pregnant is considering an abortion yet

This is a reason to stay out of gyms....women looking for attention and guys looking for ass...sorta like a pub but with barbells instead of bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

padz wrote: »

This is a reason to stay out of gyms

I knew there had to be a reason I never liked going to gym, dangerous places alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The two of them seem like a pair of clowns if I'm honest. From listening to her on Adrian Kennedy (The After Hours of Radio funnily enough) it seems like 'pushing, shoving and getting heavy' was commonplace in the relationship and going both ways.
    Making the video and claiming it was about 'awareness' I don't buy. Awareness... a word that's lost all meaning now, anybody remeber what the ice bucket challenge was to raise awareness for?
    The guy involved in this case also seems like a complete imbecile. Serial cheater and sticking around in a violent relationship and when the dirty laundry is aired and he needed to go to a solicitor he went to the sun and the herald. I can't help but feel these people think in some way that this is a good way to raise their respective public profiles. I can nearly hear somebody saying the words 'damage limitation' to him and 'we can milk this' to her.

Maybe I'm just an old cynic but it seems like there's the two of them in this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

And now his Solicitor has his head in his hands...

I think 9 out of 10 Solicitors would have told him to bite his tongue, or issue the simplest of denials.

Yes I did push her. I pushed her, I didn't punch her. It was just the force.

I have never in all my life seen someone being 'pushed' over and not suffer a few cuts/bruises the face and end up with an eye like that.

Thankfully the gardaí have to act on it now as it is in nearly all media outlets at this stage. It's appauling in this day and age that it takes this amount of coverage for them to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Awareness... a word that's lost all meaning now, anybody remeber what the ice bucket challenge was to raise awareness for?

Cat Aids?

It was ALS :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

I knew there had to be a reason I never liked going to gym, dangerous places alright!

Not at all just peoples motivations, people being people,flirting, txting Facebook, gym instructors are like the new priests, exercise is not a communal thing, for me anyway its something i do alone and from my own motivation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

She should not have posted that video. It was wrong.

I know I am in a minority here, but when questioned on the radio, the woman in question said that they 'both' used to hit one another during arguments. They are 'both' at fault if that is the case, and to completely destroy the man's reputation all over Ireland is completely unjustified.

She claims he 'spilt her head open'. He came out and said that is completely untrue. If what she is claiming is true, then she should be able to provide proof as she would have had to attend a GP at the very least.

I also think showing her kids faces in the background is shocking and she should not have done this.

I do not condone this mans behaviour for one second but the two of them are 'equally' to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I know I am in a minority here, but when questioned on the radio, the woman in question said that they 'both' used to hit one another during arguments. They are 'both' at fault if that is the case,.

The man pretty much always assumes all the blame in these situations.

There was a video on the bbc site or sky news yesterday I think about a college football player in america thats been indefinitely suspended and police are investigating after a video is released of him punching a woman in a bar. So I had a look to see what happened, The video shows a woman at a crowded bar (standing at the bar) and the guys shoves his way up between people to a spot behind her. They start arguing and she gives him a dig in the face . He does the same in retaliation and thus ends the fight. Theres no mention of her hitting him, or that she hit first.The whole thing is about him hitting her and whats happening to him after and in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I turned off the video when she said a man should never put his hands on a woman no matter what. I believe she was giving as good as she got and the two of them are a bunch of nutcases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

who is due to become a father for the third time this week with another woman

Indo sub-editing up to par as usual.

Every single time I read one of their articles I'm almost guaranteed to find at least 5-10 grammar mistakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Just for the record (and possible benefit of someone reading this) there are a number of secure refuges that can take victim of domestic violence and their children in - and look after them.

They aren't worth a mickey TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I'm not sure who to sympathise with, or if either of them deserve any sympathy. She's set a really bad example to future victims of domestic violence by subverting the proper channels. He needs to keep it in his pants; there's enough fatherless children out there without him adding to the pile.

I'm not sure who to sympathise with, or if either of them deserve any sympathy. She's set a really bad example to future victims of domestic violence by subverting the proper channels. He needs to keep it in his pants; there's enough fatherless children out there without him adding to the pile.

What's the proper channels Jack? Go to the police, he gets a night in the cell and comes back harder the next night? There is very little proper channels here. If you have kids anyway you can get them out of the house and make sure he doesn't do it again. Even if that means half the city wants to hurt the guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Dogowner55

steddyeddy wrote: »
    What's the proper channels Jack? Go to the police, he gets a night in the cell and comes back harder the next night? There is very little proper channels here. If you have kids anyway you can get them out of the house and make sure he doesn't do it again. Even if that means half the city wants to hurt the guy.

How does posting a video get him out of the house? It's even less usefull then going to the police as at least the police can do something if they saw merit in her accusation. The video is just a video can't stop him going to his house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

who is due to become a father for the third time this week with another woman

I'm just curious, but how would you have phrased that sentence differently?

Dogowner55 wrote: »
    How does posting a video get him out of the house? It's even less usefull then going to the police as at least the police can do something if they saw merit in her accusation. The video is just a video can't stop him going to his house

Yea in fairness I agree it's not the best course of action but there are very little proper channels here. She also shouldn't have had the kids in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

who is due to become a father for the third time when his new woman gives birth this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

It reads like he became a father with another woman twice already this week. :)

I'd have phrased it something like "A woman with whom he cheated is due to give birth to his child shortly."

I assume the two other children are the children he has with the woman on the video, and not two more children with another woman/other women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

who is due to become a father for the third time when his new woman gives birth this week
    It reads like he became a father with another woman twice already this week. :)

I'd have phrased it something like "A woman with whom he cheated is due to give birth to his child shortly."

I assume the two other children are the children he has with the woman on the video, and not two more children with another woman/other women.

Really? You think phrases like "with whom he cheated" and "his new woman" sound professional?

Good thing you aren't able to give direct advice to a newspaper with a daily circulation of 112,502.

Really? You think phrases like "with whom he cheated" and "his new woman" sound professional?

Good thing you aren't able to give direct advice to a newspaper with a daily circulation of 112,502.
    Well they don't sound as bad as the state of the part being referred to - surely you can see what's wrong with it?

The Indo regularly has terrible editing and errors. Not sure what its circulation has to do with anything. Popular doesn't automatically mean not rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Yea in fairness I agree it's not the best course of action but there are very little proper channels here. She also shouldn't have had the kids in the background.

But she should have had a picture of her abuser in the foreground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

She had already left his house when she posted the video. It may well stop him from going to the house where she is staying, since he can no longer depend on her to keep quiet about his behavior.

She had already left his house when she posted the video. It may well stop him from going to the house where she is staying, since he can no longer depend on her to keep quiet about his behavior.

Going to the guards also shows not keeping quiet and has the same outcome. Only thing posting the video does is rile up the Internet mob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Going to the guards also shows not keeping quiet and has the same outcome. Only thing posting the video does is rile up the Internet mob

That was what she wanted. I'll be interested to see if she's planning on opening a new business anytime soon.

It doesn't necessarily have the same outcome? What would the gaurds do?

Fair trial.We don't know the facts.
    Hogwash

Raw video
    She got a hard belt from someone to produce a shiner like that .
    She didn't "walk into a press door" and if he's so innocent he can sue Facebook for allowing the "slanderous"post and then her to clear his name neither of which will happen .
    Great to hear the campaigns on radio about domestic abuse but this is the trigger for far more debate on the hidden problem and to that end judging by the amount of views it has achieved that .

Well done to her.

Why does anyone give a rats ass about a hotheaded thug who had beaten a woman ?

• Advertisement

Why does anyone give a rats ass about a hotheaded thug who had beaten a woman ?

Cause we don't know that's what happened yet.

It doesn't necessarily have the same outcome? What would the gaurds do?

One doesn't ruin his life and business without a fair trail if she is making stuff up. If she is telling the truth it will be the same outcome once the proper trail has been done

Cause we don't know that's what happened yet.

So could you enlighten us as to what you think happened? A fairy came - gave her the shiner then sprinkled some magic dust that gives her the ability to lie about her partner and put up a video etc etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

So could you enlighten us as to what you think happened? A fairy came - gave her the shiner then sprinkled some magic dust that gives her the ability to lie about her partner and put up a video etc etc...?

Didn't you hear? Per her ex-partner, "she fell".

Perhaps not the most original story ever told by a person like him.

Didn't you hear? Per her ex-partner, "she fell".

Perhaps not the most original story ever told by a person like him.

Ahh silly me! It's mad what damage a 'fall' can do these days :rolleyes:

Very easy to hurt yourself like another poster said about the person they knew breaking her jaw and blaming it on the ex. We need to let the proper authorities investigate to get the real facts no one knows what happened.

With Internet justice it won't be long till sometime like this is not a joke article

clickhole.com/article/justice-last-when-girl-was-cyberbullied-classmate--2219

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

I had a bit of a look through a couple of tabloid newspapers today and I estimate that about 90% of what was published in either of them hadn't yet been to court or will never be the subject of a criminal or civil trial. I'd say that today's newpapers are probably no different to any other day's, so why is it that, this woman in particular shouldn't publish information about what has happen to her before a trial? Why do some people have such a hard time believing a woman who claims to have been a victim of an assult or abuse?

Very easy to hurt yourself like another poster said about the person they knew breaking her jaw and blaming it on the ex.

Wow, I have heard it all now. There are so many men and women in abusive relationships and with people like you, how can you expect them to come out and tell their story? Shut down the very minute they open their mouth.

Wow, I have heard it all now. There are so many men and women in abusive relationships and with people like you, how can you expect them to come out and tell their story? Shut down the very minute they open their mouth.

The FBI estimate that approximatly 2% of rape/sexual assult alligations are false but that less than 40% are reported. The main reason that the other 60% give for not going to the police is fear of not being believed.

• Advertisement

Ahh silly me! It's mad what damage a 'fall' can do these days :rolleyes:

Yes a perfect landing on the eye socket with her hands behind her back.

Maybe had she lost an eye there would be more sympathy for her plight?
    The guy could have 50 wives for all anyone cares as long as he treated them all with respect.
    He is now the poster boy for a woman beater . Tough and all that that is for him he might think twice before he uses his fists against a female .
    Maybe this is his Road to Damascus life changing event .
    It took a lot if courage to do what she did and at last this scourge of domestic violence might be addressed comprehensively .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

A victim of domestic violence deserves no sympathy?? And you would consider feeling sorry for him? Unreal. But then again this is boards, where a man is never wrong and women are never victims.

Yes a perfect landing on the eye socket with her hands behind her back.

The guy could have 50 wives for all anyone cares as long as he treated them all with respect.
    He is now the poster boy for a woman beater . Tough and all that that is for him he might think twice before he uses his fists against a female .
    Maybe this is his Road to Damascus life changing event .
    It took a lot if courage to do what she did and at last this scourge of domestic violence might be addressed comprehensively .

I know people of his culture are sterotyped to be more violent and prone to cheating and leaving children fatherless. But until he is convicted you shouldn't be judging on stereotypes

I know people of his culture are sterotyped to be more violent and prone to cheating and leaving children fatherless. But until he is convicted you shouldn't be judging on stereotypes

It's not stereotyping to judge him on his own behaviour

But until he is convicted you shouldn't be judging on stereotypes

I never for one second judged on his stereotype. You yourself there jumped to that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 1800

Personally I dont feel its fair this is trial by media witch hunt. This man Irish or not, now has had his business and career destroyed by one facebook video where he is potentially innocent. It certainly is not fair on the kids now who have to grow up with this in the media and public because her mother would not deal with it in the proper channels.

Its worrying how accepted this has become, there are many evil women out there who would with glee destroy a mans life with false rape or domestic accusations on facebook just to hurt the other person. If this is acceptable what is the point in a judicial or law system? If a woman posts a video claiming you assaulted her and you didnt, where can you come back from that? This mob rule on social and print media is turning society into anarchy.

Its a complete joke this mans mother has been tracked down by press. The woman involved seems more interested in a media career than her kids or going through the proper channels. I feel sorry for the next man who gets involved with her, but if he has any sense theres enough info online to raise plenty of red flags. She seems to believe its acceptable to hit a man with a mobile phone but if she is touched in response it is akin to a war crime.

• Advertisement

I think it's fair to say that those of the indigenious culture aren't total strangers to domestic abuse or leaving children fatherless.

No not at all, sure she could of fell on something and had her eye out!

It's shocking to think if a man or woman suffering from an abusive relationship are reading what was said here in the thread. It might just knock that little but of built up confidence to come out and tell their story.

100% agreed.

1800 wrote: »
    Personally I dont feel its fair this is trial by media witch hunt. This man Irish or not, now has had his business and career destroyed by one facebook video where he is potentially innocent. It certainly is not fair on the kids now who have to grow up with this in the media and public because her mother would not deal with it in the proper channels.

Its worrying how accepted this has become, there are many evil women out there who would with glee destroy a mans life with false rape or domestic accusations on facebook just to hurt the other person. If this is acceptable what is the point in a judicial or law system? If a woman posts a video claiming you assaulted her and you didnt, where can you come back from that? This mob rule on social and print media is turning society into anarchy.

Its a complete joke this mans mother has been tracked down by press. The woman involved seems more interested in a media career than her kids or going through the proper channels. I feel sorry for the next man who gets involved with her, but if he has any sense theres enough info online to raise plenty of red flags. She seems to believe its acceptable to hit a man with a mobile phone but if she is touched in response it is akin to a war crime.

On what do you base your claim of "many evil women"??

PucaMama wrote: »
    On what do you base your claim of "many evil women"??
    There are, but also many evil men - so the fairer thing would be to say there are many evil people. However this thread is all about having a go at the women dontcha know.

The strong possibility of the woman being assaulted by her partner in this case is of no concern btw. Oh no.

I agree trial by social media is a concern, innocent until proven guilty is a concern... but her being assaulted and him possibly being guilty is a concern too. These shouldn't overshadow each other.

1800 wrote: »
    Personally I dont feel its fair this is trial by media witch hunt.

Victims of slander, also have the protection of the law and access to 'the proper channels'.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement