Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof/Chimney/Gutters cleaning

• 06-07-2015 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi

I need to get a few things done on house exterior and am looking for recommneded trademen.

Roof cleaning - remove moss and paint slate

Chimney cleaning and cowl installation

Clean guttering

Its a two storey terrace in the cc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

The only recommendations I make are:

1. Check their insurance
    2. If they're not using roof ladders while working on the roof, hunt them off your property. They'll do more damage than good. Crack and or loosen slates

3. Do not paint roof slates or tiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Souness

Thanks phog, definitely only want isured workers with proper equiment.

Surprised your advice not to paint the roof, as my neighbour did it and looks well.Can it have a negative impact?I am more concerned with getting the moss sprayed, the roof looks pretty good without touching up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Souness wrote: »
    Thanks phog, definitely only want isured workers with proper equiment.

Surprised your advice not to paint the roof, as my neighbour did it and looks well.Can it have a negative impact?I am more concerned with getting the moss sprayed, the roof looks pretty good without touching up.

The one part of a house that is open to all the elements is the roof, paint will blister, peel, fade, etc and will need redoing every few years. I'd give it a miss if I was you.

The other thing is and I'm not an expert, tiles/slates are overlaid on top of each other. If water gets in under one it can flow/seep out onto the tile underneath. If the roof is painted then there might be a seal at the point where the tiles overlap and the water has no release and could end up leaking into your attic.

BTW, having a roof ladder and using it all the time on the roof are two different matter. I've seen guys use the ladder to get onto the roof but walk on the tiles. I'd caution against allowing a contractor do that on my roof.

I'm sorry that none of this helps you in finding a contractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kevinkmb36

p.m sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Souness

@phog, maybe paint is the wrong term , more like a polish. Thought of it as something similar that is used to refurbish car tyres.AnywaasI saidnot that pushed about that spect. Appreciate the advice on ladder usage.

@Kevin,didnt get the PM

• Advertisement
Advertisement