Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting agency wants us to change appartment

Options
  • 06-07-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just a quick question in case I'm missing anything obvious, don't want to be caught out.

Myself and my Girlfriend have rented an apartment in a large apartment block for the last 5 years. However 5 months ago it went into receivership. It has been given to a letting agency to manage and we pay our rent to them, however its been non-stop intrusion from them.

We know we pay under market rate and this is really grating them...they always bring up what we pay when we deal with them. We have a lease signed up till the end of the year which is also a big issue with them. They are asking are we leaving soon as they know we went for a mortgage. They have now approached us and want us to move to another part of the complex. We would be happy to consider it to keep everyone happy but I'm worried as our lease is for this apartment number...I don't thrust them.

Is there anything I should look out for...Obviously we will insist we get signed confirmation that none of our existing terms change.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

If you are happy with the terms then perhaps ask for a new lease on those terms for the new place?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We would be happy to consider it to keep everyone happy but I'm worried as our lease is for this apartment number...I don't thrust them.
    Unless it benefits you, I wouldn't move. You're there 5 years, so I take it you're happy with the place; christ knows what's wrong with the place they want you to move into. Is there anyone living there now, and if not, why not?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Why would you, no pun intended, accommodate them?

You have a lease so why move? Especially when as you say you don't trust them and there's nothing in it for you.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you were overpaying rent and you asked for a reduction mid-lease how accommodating do you feel they would be? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Tell em take a hike OP. If they want to move you its because they have people wanting your current location, not the other so by default you would have to say its a worse deal for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Tell them no. Sure you might be moving yourself soon so why would you go to the bother of moving twice to suit them?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

If you are happy with the terms then perhaps ask for a new lease on those terms for the new place?

But for a full year, there has to be some sweetener in it for you or else why would you help them and inconvenience yourself. As others mentioned, you don't know what could be wrong with the other apt, neighbours from hell or something like that could await you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I'd tread very carefully on this one. If you intend buying and moving out before the end of your current fixed term lease I'd stay put. Why go to the hassle of moving twice in the next six months ? Do you prefer the apartment they want you to move to over the one you are in now ?

One thing I would be very cautious about would be whether moving to another apartment within the complex would be considered a new tenancy and therefore you could be given notice of termination anytime within the first six months without reason.

Under part 4 tenancy in your current apartment you would be entitled to 112 days notice of termination and only for the grounds set out in the Residential Tenancy Act. If, because of circumstances, you wanted to stay beyond the end of the year you could give the proper notification at least a month before the end of the fixed term lease.

The security provided under a part 4 tenancy is not something I'd meddle with lightly. If I was even inclined to consider the agents request to locate I'd be looking for them to pay for me to get legal advice on the possible implications of moving, without any preconditions or obligation to further consider their request to move.

If, based on this independent legal advice, I was open to moving I'd be looking for the agent to pay my moving costs and some financial compensation for the disturbance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you've three years left of part 4 tenancy. Unless you want to, then don't move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Tell them you want €5000 disturbance money and to not contact you again unless they are calling to agree to your demands. You're not saying no (technically).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

farrerg wrote: »
    But for a full year, there has to be some sweetener in it for you or else why would you help them and inconvenience yourself. As others mentioned, you don't know what could be wrong with the other apt, neighbours from hell or something like that could await you

It doesn't have to be for a year. But as others say, it doesn't smell right, my suggestion was purely is the OP felt that they would like to move except for the issue of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Op Here,

Thanks very much to all that replied...plenty of food for thought.
    Hope to move out soon as we're mortgage approved but still looking at houses.
    I think I'll leave them down gently as I like where I am...I even have a satellite dish mounted outside my balcony as I'm facing the courtyard and got permission from the previous owners to do this.

Their reason in asking us to move is they want to turn this part of the block into all student accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Their reason in asking us to move is they want to turn this part of the block into all student accommodation.

So, they're complaining that you're paying below market rate, yet are apparently wanting to turn what - by their own admission - can earn them much more money into a less profitable venture? Riiiiiiiiight.

Tell them to jog on. Oh, and I've got a great deal on London bridge for sale at the moment if anyone is interested .....

Advertisement