Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford city a hidden gem ?

Options
  • 06-07-2015 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭

live in east cork these days but from kildare originally so pass through waterford city alot in recent years.
    what i cant understand is why was waterford so effected by recession / unemployment compared to say cork or galway ?
    its got a good road to Dublin , its close to Rosslare and its surrounded by good farming land ?

also why is Waterford city so forgotten by plp ? limerick gets alot of bad press but its still on peoples radar and i often hear of plp from cork going there for weekends away but not waterford . it doesnt have Shannon airport , Thomand park or maybeits because limerick has clare , kerry and the west on its doorstep?

i would say that Limerick and Dublin cities are the two most rough and shabby looking cities in the country. despite Waterford city having been badly effected by the recession it doesnt look shabby . i have driven around parts of Ballybeg even and it didnt look to bad ! strange !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Severe lack of FDI which have delivered thousands of jobs in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway in recent years which are usually of high pay.

I'm sure there is lots more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭goochy

Sorry whats Fdi?

Sorry whats Fdi?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

goochy wrote: »
    Sorry whats Fdi?
    Foreign direct investment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Waterford city has suffered badly over the years with poor political representation at national level in other words useless TD’s. On top of that Waterford city is not part of a constituency on its own like other cities. So too often we have government TD’s that don’t give a flip about the city and the east of the county. This leaves us with one hand behind our back when it comes to getting the government support/investment we should be getting.

Also, it seems to be whenever Waterford starts to make progress in something the government person in charge gets moved to Cork. The latest thing is now Waterford is developing in tourism the head of tourism for the southeast has been moved to Cork. There are piles of examples of this kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

and we don't have a corrupt minister in our corner pushing for jobs down here

Every county needs a healy rae ! Just saw docu about tony o reilly tinite v good . Obviousky wd crystal featured wherent the workers there supposed to be getting paid mad money and having mad conditions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

^lots in Waterford Crystal did well over many years till the gravey train stopped .Not much other employment in Waterford City then or now .Its better connected to Dublin now ,so that may help in the future.

Funny how waterford doesnt look down at heel like limerick . Like limerick but it looks very depressed , waterford doesnt though

Advertisement