Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitcoin GPU machine ?

Options
  • 07-07-2015 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi I am looking into the possibility of Bitcoin Mining.
    I'd like some advice on getting a relatively budget friendly GPU based computer built that can run very fast over long periods of time and return a reasonable(Profitable) hash rate vs powers consumption.

Can anyone recommend a good and affordable set up ?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There isnt one.

Even ASICs arent profitable anymore, never mind GPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

missed the boat by about 5 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Slowpoke.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Troll post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Probably not. More likely read some stuff about Bitcoin, and learned about mining and thought it wasn't already nailed down by the Chinese (spoiler warning, it has... ). The cost of running a bitcoin mining (is this even possible anymore? I'm pretty sure the number of bitcoins that can be mined, have been at this stage) and transaction server (this is now where you can make money I think? Processing the heavy blockchain stuff that follows every bitcoin and transaction and ownership) at home, heavily outweighs the monetary gains. The bubble was popped about two/three years ago and now it's relatively stable. I'm no expert though but this is what i've managed to piece together over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Xenoronin wrote: »
    ..... The cost of running a bitcoin mining (is this even possible anymore? I'm pretty sure the number of bitcoins that can be mined, have been at this stage) ....

All bitcoins have not been mined, about 14.5 million of the eventual 21 million have been mined. The economics of mining are not very intuitive, the coins are mined at a steady rate, reducing every 4 years regardless of how many people are mining or how much mining power there is. The rate is currently 25 bitcoins every 10 minutes, due to halve to 12.5 in about a year. It will take over 100 years until all are mined.

Mining by a hobbiest at home is no longer profitable, as you are competing with people who can get the hardware cheaper and have cheaper electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, you're competing with industrial china paying a fraction of what you do for electricity (ESB rates here are pretty poor).

Vice-Article-two.jpg

Advertisement