Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a collection

• 07-07-2015 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Ok, much like I have various items of clothing that are appropriate for different times and occasions I'd like to try and build a nice collection of watches also. I already have a nice Timex weekender that I'm having great fun with as my knocking around the place watch but I'd like to expand my horizons a bit and acquire one example of each of the following styles:

- A flieger
    - A chrono
    - A dive watch
    - A dress watch

I'd probably be acquiring a new piece every 6 months or so and the budget for each would ideally be somewhere between €50 - €300.

I have large wrists but don't like overly large watches so anything under 38mm or over 42mm ish is out. The Armogan chrono I posted about a few weeks ago is out as it seems to wear very large and looks like a saucer on the wrist. Anything with a blue dial is a plus. I would prefer automatics or wind up watches. No quartz if I can help it. I want pieces with soul

I think I'll start with the flieger as I really love the look of them and my inner Walter Mitty is quite partial to the idea of wearing one on a nighttime bombing run circa 1942 :)

Help me spend my money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Series 1966 and 1963 should cover the Flieger and dresser

http://www.livmorris-shop.de/shop-liv-morris/
    (google translator is your friend)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Best advice is to take your time and focus getting watches you like rather than watches you think you need to complete your collection.
    No point in having a good 'range' of watches if you dont like/wear some of them. Keep an eye on the various threads in here, particularly the 'what I am wearing', 'Bargain watches' and 'watches for sale' threads.

You will see watches in there that really jump out at you. Those watches may get loads of 'thanks' from other posters here....or may get none.

But it does not matter. What matters is what you like - so discover that first!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I suggest go vintage for the dress watch. You can buy a swiss watch from the 50's-early 70's for a tenth of a new one from swiss makers today.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Thanks folks, the list above is only a rough outline of what I think I'd like to have. Looking forward to doing my research and narrowing it down.
    peasant wrote: »
    Series 1966 and 1963 should cover the Flieger and dresser

http://www.livmorris-shop.de/shop-liv-morris/
    (google translator is your friend)

That's a real score, thanks! Any idea what the quality of them is like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

lizzyman wrote: »
    That's a real score, thanks! Any idea what the quality of them is like?

I don't have any myself, but by all accounts quality to price ratio is pretty good.
    They're basically re-branded Chinese "Parnis" / "Seagull" watches with added German goods-in quality control and a two year warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Oh dear. I can see this one blowing my budget...

Advertisement