Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I use Taxback.com or go to an agent for my tax return?

• 07-07-2015 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

So I'm on my 2nd year Working Holiday visa. I'm owed back all the tax that I paid in the 14/15 tax year. I work in a gym as a PT and I have to pay them $200 a week for the use of the premises. As far as I know I can claim this back as a work expense, along with all of the equipment I have purchased for work.
    I have receipts for all these things.

I also did my farming and have all my PAYG/ Final Payment summaries which show the total amount of tax witheld.

I should be able to claim a couple of grand back.

Some of my friends have just gone to their local tax agents and paid them around $100 to get their tax return sorted out.

I can do it online via Taxback.com and they promise that they will get you the maximum possible return but apparently they take a percentage of it.

Which is the better option for me? I'd like to try get the cash ASAP but I don't want to get ripped off either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

CM24 wrote: »
    So I'm on my 2nd year Working Holiday visa. I'm owed back all the tax that I paid in the 14/15 tax year. I work in a gym as a PT and I have to pay them $200 a week for the use of the premises. As far as I know I can claim this back as a work expense, along with all of the equipment I have purchased for work.
    I have receipts for all these things.

I also did my farming and have all my PAYG/ Final Payment summaries which show the total amount of tax witheld.

I should be able to claim a couple of grand back.

Some of my friends have just gone to their local tax agents and paid them around $100 to get their tax return sorted out.

I can do it online via Taxback.com and they promise that they will get you the maximum possible return but apparently they take a percentage of it.

Which is the better option for me? I'd like to try get the cash ASAP but I don't want to get ripped off either.

If your tax return is not too complicated you could do it yourself by downloading the etax from the ATO? It's free...

Personally I use HR block, they charge a flat fee around $100-150 but have got me some good returns in the past, I think the tax agents generally get a slightly better return than you would for yourself, it's just that their familiarity with the various options is worth a few hundred dollars straight away I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Forgot to say, the refund comes from the ATO and at this time of year usually takes around 2 weeks unless you get audited.... Randomly chosen to submit all your receipts etc for reconciliation with what you claimed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

If you worked in a gym and paid them, wouldn't you have been a contractor on ABN? And so need to file a business return as well as an employee return?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Batgurl wrote: »
    If you worked in a gym and paid them, wouldn't you have been a contractor on ABN? And so need to file a business return as well as an employee return?

I have no idea! I have my own ABN and am techinically running my own business. I'll go into a tax agent tomorrow and find out.

Advertisement