Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rehoming Criteria

• 07-07-2015 8:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I just have a question for people who might be involved with rescues:

As you know I lost my girls recently and I've decided to get in contact with some rescues on the basis that by the time a suitable dog comes up I'll be ready to take it on, but my schedule seems to be causing a bit of a problem. I work full time so am out of the house 8.5 hours a day, which I know is too long to leave a dog on its own which is why I've pre-emptively arranged with a neighbour to come in at lunch time, let the dog out for a wee, play with it, and give it a kong or puzzle ball; so the dog would never be alone more than 4 hours at a stretch.

A couple of rescues have said that they'd only really rehome two dogs to me because it's too long alone. My issue is that I'd prefer to rehome one dog to start with and add a second in 6-12 months when I have recall, lead walking etc. sorted as, since I live alone, I don't think I could cope with training two dogs simultaneously (when I got Rani and Tegan I was living with a long-term boyfriend and when we split up all that stuff had already been sorted), especially since I'm looking at rehoming something medium-sized and I know how stressful walking two boisterous terriers can be, let alone two boisterous medium-size dogs.

Is my situation unfair to one dog? I'm not against rehoming two, obviously, I'm just wary of getting overwhelmed and not being able to cope.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I've been involved in rescue and from the point of view of the one I was working with as long as you have made concrete plans to break up the day for the dog you are adopting then I don't see how your situation would be unfair to a solo dog.

If I was doing your homecheck though I'd be asking for your neighbour to be present too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Toulouse wrote: »
    I've been involved in rescue and from the point of view of the one I was working with as long as you have made concrete plans to break up the day for the dog you are adopting then I don't see how your situation would be unfair to a solo dog.

If I was doing your homecheck though I'd be asking for your neighbour to be present too.

Same here. I have done homechecks for people/families who work full time and as long as they have plans/help in place for a neighbour or family member or doggy day care then it's not a problem. If you want I can PM you the name of the rescue I'm involved with, it's not in Dublin but we have rehomed there before.

Alternatively of course, you could go to your local pound?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I had one dog who for the first four years of her life (until we got a second dog) was left alone for 4 hours a day, 5 days a week and she was fine (and this was through the puppy stages!). Of course you are not being unfair. I understand where the rescue is coming from but shocked they would actually try convince you. As you said yourself, what happens if you get overwhelmed? Would they prefer if you took one dog now and another dog in 6 months, or take two dogs now and end up having to give them back because two is too much to handle at one go.

I think you should always get dogs separately anyway as it gives you time to bond properly with each dog. And if training is required, its very time consuming to train two dogs separately. So I wouldn't let them try force two dogs on you if you don't want it.

I have had a few experiences with dog rescues and to be honest, they make it very hard for people to adopt. It would nearly put me off going down that route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Totally off topic kylith but just wanted to say i didn't realise you lost your second furry friend in such a short space of time XX I am deeply saddened to hear this... the heartbreak of loosing one is bad enough but two :(

look after yourself and best of luck with your new addition (when he / she comes along) XX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks folks, I didn't think that I was being unreasonable, but I can totally see where the rescue is coming from; they don't want a dog to get lonely, bored, and destructive. I spoke to the homechecker last night so I'll be home checked this week, and at least that'll be out of the way. There'd be no problem with them talking to my neighbour either. I think I made a good impression by not wanting a puppy, at least. No way in hell do I want a pup; I met a cocker puppy out walking a couple of weeks ago and was knackered by trying to deal with him for 5 minutes, I can't imagine having that all day, plus chewing and puddles of wee!

Tranceypoo, I've thought about going to the pound but my problem there would be that the dog would be a totally unknown quantity. A rescue can give me an idea if the dog is good with other dogs, if they're likely to chew everything in sight, and so on. I know some people who've gotten wonderful dogs from the pound, but I'm just cautious of the fact that I'd know nothing about them. I'd be delighted to get in contact with the rescue you've worked with. I think that the more rescues I get in contact with the better chance I have of getting matched with the right dog. I'm looking for something medium-ish in size, not too much shedding, with exercise needs on the high side of medium: I'm used to doing an hour a day at least, and up to 3 hours at weekends. Needs to be good with other dogs as I occasionally mind the neighbour's dog. Female would be best because neighbour's dog was neutered late and can have issues with males; but he knows I brook none of his nonsense and he behaves himself with me.

TBH I'd give my left arm for an Irish Water Spaniel, they're gorgeous dogs, but the breed club site's rehoming email doesn't work, and I fear that it's defunct. I'll have to check the IKC site for details, but I'd say that IWSs for rehoming are like hen's teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

cocker5 wrote: »
    Totally off topic kylith but just wanted to say i didn't realise you lost your second furry friend in such a short space of time XX I am deeply saddened to hear this... the heartbreak of loosing one is bad enough but two :(

look after yourself and best of luck with your new addition (when he / she comes along) XX

Thanks cocker. Rani left me on Saturday at the ripe old age of 16. I felt so sorry for her, the poor thing, her heart was still strong but her kidneys and liver were failing and she couldn't stand on her own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

kylith wrote: »
    Thanks cocker. Rani left me on Saturday at the ripe old age of 16. I felt so sorry for her, the poor thing, her heart was still strong but her kidneys and liver were failing and she couldn't stand on her own.

16 is a great age, my guy is just over 10 now and cant even look at him without welling up lately, i dread the day he leaves me...

I'm sure she lived a brilliant life with you and is now at peace and happy out with her best bud Tegan - stay strong XX

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

Kylith, I'm also really sorry to hear of your loss xxx Im sure it's an awful lot to have to deal with, so I'm sending you virtual hugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Just as a, very anecdotal, observation, when I had the camera set up at our old house to be able to record the dogs daytime activities I found that after their morning walk, for the vast majority of the 7-8 hours a day they were alone, they lazed about in the sun/napped and only really got active in the evenings when we got home and took them out again. These are two seemingly happy hounds who, even when I have nieces/nephews staying, are happy to curl up on the bed upstairs and ignore them until we get home from work. To clarify, they do actually like my nieces and nephew :P

My point is that some dogs seem to require less daytime interaction then others and while I can understand a rescue having a concern regarding leaving a dog (or dogs) for as long daily as say, we leave ours, that seems to be based on the more sensitive end of the animal spectrum than our two were plucked from :P

Advertisement