Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applegreen proposal, Naas

Options
  • 07-07-2015 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Planning in to put a new Applegreen service station, corporate offices and training centre to create 400 jobs at the old cement plant

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

very clever - new HQ + excellent stopping off location on a very busy stretch of motorway especially if its backed up and you want to take a break.

The HQ jobs and the clearance of an eyesore should ensure planning is granted. :)

And it will obviously be their flagship location.

Does anyone remember the first ever Applegreen? - Their test store was where KFC in Newbridge is located. (no fuel)

Here's the planning description

Development Description: (1) Demolition of all existing buildings on the site (9,923sqm). (2) Global Training Hub (office) in 3 storey building with plant over (3,041sqm gfa). (3) Gobal Logistics and Food Research/Production facility (6,000sqm gfa – including first floor mezzanine) with 6 No. loading bays. (4) Off-line Motorway Services Area consisting of Amenity Building (4,356sqm gfa) and 10 No. pump island Fuel Area with canopy over. The Amenity Building is 2 storeys high with part double height at ground floor level. It will contain 1 No. shop (max. 100sqm net floor space, including off-licence), food court at ground and first floor level with restaurant/cafe offerings and communal seating areas, internal and external children’s play area, external garden area, 24hr drivers lounge, quiet zone, toilet facilities, outdoor roof terraces at first floor level, storage, along with back of house area (including storage, waste storage area, unloading etc.). (5) Drive-thru Coffee Facility (160sqm gfa) in single storey building with indoor and outdoor seating. (6) Ancillary development consisting of: 2 No. entrance/exits (one relying on existing entrance off Maudlins roundabout to serve Motorway Service Area – with new slip road added – and one for office and logistics buildings relying on existing entrance off the R445). A total of 434 No. parking spaces (324 No. spaces to service the service area and 110 No. spaces to serve the office and logistics buildings). 2 No. electric charge points are included. Also, 38 No. HCV spaces (including 2 No. ADR spaces), 16 coach spaces, 16 No. motorcycle spaces (all associated with the service area). 2 No. pump island HCV facility with canopy over and Garda Enforcement Area. Provision of picnic area and dedicated area of open space for drivers rest/dog walking to rear of Amenity Building. Ancillary signage on each building and forecourt canopies and 2 No. double sided totem signs. Re-routing of existing foul sewer with provision of 5m wayleave either side. All ancillary site development works including surface water attenuation tank, landscaping, cycle spaces and boundary treatment,

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

delahuntv wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the first ever Applegreen? - Their test store was where KFC in Newbridge is located. (no fuel)

They still have a few Applegreen shop-only sites (Monkstown Farm for one) even. Also a newsagents in Raheny takes their loyalty card so I presume its them...

The firm behind them were an Esso franchiser first, they had the one in Clondalkin as an Esso for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The head of Applegreen was on KFM last week and he said they were looking to build on the old cement factory. The presenter asked about the new flyover past Kilcullen on the M9 and he said that the council done that without any agreement from them to build a service station there. When contacted all the other petrol crowds said they wouldn't be building their either so looks like a €34m white elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The NRA built that, not the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

He said council but I'll take your word for it.

• Advertisement

ken wrote: »
    The head of Applegreen was on KFM last week and he said they were looking to build on the old cement factory. The presenter asked about the new flyover past Kilcullen on the M9 and he said that the council done that without any agreement from them to build a service station there. When contacted all the other petrol crowds said they wouldn't be building their either so looks like a €34m white elephant.

Like all motorway sites, the NRA (zilch to do woith the council) build the road infrastructure and signage and then put the operation of it out to tender.

Three companies submitted tenders for Kilcullen including Topaz and Applegreen and Topaz were announced rencently as the prefferred operator (obviously bid the highest amount) Work on it is due to commence soon once legals are completed.

Applegreen are planning another service area on the Waterford side of Carlow.

As for comment above saying that they were originally a Esso franchise, this possibly explains a planning application for Goffs on the current Esso site. (planning was refused in 2013, but may be reapplied for again)

Electric charge points ? brilliant, will be very useful for me on the way home from work and hopefully easier to access than the fast charger at Tesco.

Let's hope it's a fast charger !!!

So is this part of the N7/M7 Nass upgrade to Newbridge ?

Electric charge points ? brilliant, will be very useful for me on the way home from work and hopefully easier to access than the fast charger at Tesco.

Let's hope it's a fast charger !!!

So is this part of the N7/M7 Nass upgrade to Newbridge ?

Birdhill is fast charge - so I'd assume Naas will be too.

Nothing to do with NRA or upgrade - this is an "off road" service area. But it will be great to see the eysore of a derelict site gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Fantastic - it would be great to transform the eyesore thats there at the moment into something useful! Only worry is it may not help the already heavily congested traffic in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Like all motorway sites, the NRA (zilch to do woith the council) build the road infrastructure and signage and then put the operation of it out to tender.

Three companies submitted tenders for Kilcullen including Topaz and Applegreen and Topaz were announced rencently as the prefferred operator (obviously bid the highest amount) Work on it is due to commence soon once legals are completed.

Applegreen are planning another service area on the Waterford side of Carlow.

As for comment above saying that they were originally a Esso franchise, this possibly explains a planning application for Goffs on the current Esso site. (planning was refused in 2013, but may be reapplied for again)

I think your facts are wrong there

Have you a link by any chance

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    I think your facts are wrong there

Have you a link by any chance

No link, but it was on radio quite recently (prob Newstalk) that Topaz were preferred bidder for both M6 and M9 services and final deal was still to be agreed.
    It was a discussion about the applegreen flotation and motorway services came up.

I suppose things could have changed or issues arisen since as both Topaz and Applegreen seems to be building just off M9 in Carlow (different junctions).

Both have been granted (edn April) but both have been appealed (NRA has appealed against Topaz, but not against the applegreen one.)

My guess is nothing will be decided until this is sorted. (end aug & early sept)

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/244827.htm

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/244762.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

delahuntv wrote:
    I suppose things could have changed or issues arisen since as both Topaz and Applegreen seems to be building just off M9 in Carlow (different junctions).

There's another off-line station at junction 9 on m9 it's after starting heavy machinery in on site 2 weeks ago. No stations on m9 and then they all come along at once

linny wrote: »
    There's another off-line station at junction 9 on m9 it's after starting heavy machinery in on site 2 weeks ago. No stations on m9 and then they all come along at once

Is this at Paulstown ?

D Trent wrote: »
    Is this at Paulstown ?

Exit 9 is after Kilkenny which is 8 - durrow/thomastown I think

Exit 9 is after Kilkenny which is 8 - durrow/thomastown I think

That's why I asked him, I think he means J7 Paulstown where there is construction for definite

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Sorry ya junction 7

Found it

http://planning.kilkennycoco.ie/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=14238&LASiteID=0

Refused, appealed to ABP and granted with conditions.

Shop and cafe will be 200sqm max, so not huge, but decent enough size.

Seems they'll be first to open! - Great to finally soon have somewhere to stop.

Application is in name of Eugene Kealy who has developed homes there, so I suspect he'll lease it out to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sold sign gone up at the old cement plant site

Advertisement