If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless speaker systems...

Options
  • 07-07-2015 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm looking for a wireless speaker system, and I really like the Sonos... but I live in the middle east, so can't access allot of music services.

I'm considering a Google Cast system instead, as it seems to offer more options for getting the music to the speakers...

How does the LG Music Flow system stack up against Sonos? I liked the sound from the Sonos 3, will LG match the quality?

Thanks, BF

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm looking for a wireless speaker system, and I really like the Sonos... but I live in the middle east, so can't access allot of music services.

I'm considering a Google Cast system instead, as it seems to offer more options for getting the music to the speakers...

How does the LG Music Flow system stack up against Sonos? I liked the sound from the Sonos 3, will LG match the quality?

Thanks, BF
    Hi Bluefoam,

If you aren't able to access online music services built into the Sonos App, then certainly the Music Flow system would be something to consider as it supports G/Cast as you say, as well as Bluetooth and NFC, something the Sonos will not do. The beauty of systems like Sonos and HEOS by Denon is in their multi-room compatibility and overall sound quality when used as such. However if it comes down to a single unit and variety of connectivity options, they can't really compete. 

In terms of audio quality, It will really depend on the quality of your source. If you're streaming top quality files on a great connection then you'll really start to see why these units get such good reviews, however, if you're streaming low quality, low bitrate files, then unfortunately you're going to hear it regardless of which system you use. It's important to note here that while the LG System will support Hi-Res files (192/24), the Sonos units will not.

There isn't really much between the units themselves, both get great reviews, Sonos has a 5 Star What Hi-Fi rating and has been super popular for years now, LG's Music Flow system offers the better connectivity and more options, and has a WHICH? Best Buy award. 

As ever, if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask, or if you would like to discuss this further, just drop us a PM and we can get in contact. 

Regards,

Paul   

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hey Paul, 
    Thanks allot, that's a really comprehensive answer, and sorts out allot of what I needed to know. Sounds like the LG might be ideal...

I presume the LG system will be able to get firmware updates in the future,if Google add integration with the chromecast etc...

I'm planning to start with a couple of mid size speakers,but I believe the LG system needs a bridge to link them... I've heard this can be avoided by adding a sound bar, is this true?

If so I'll probably put a soundbar and two speakers in the living room, one speaker in the bedroom and possibly a portable to take onto the balcony... For a one-bedroom apartment....  Built up in stages of course...

Thanks again, your response has been very helpful and gave me more useful info than two days of reading articles online!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

I'm just on the hard upgrade path from my trusty 12 year old Opus multi-room system and over the last year I've listened to lots of the new wave of wireless systems including the Samsung Wams / LG / Sonos and the Denon Heos - I've come down in favour of the Denon Heos - It's not completely perfect but it sounds BY FAR the best of any of the options and it does some interesting things that the others don't and its damn easy to set up and use.

From your point of view the streaming may be a little limited via the Heos - it streams Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, Tunein plus any music on your phone or pad - however for you its USB or NAd flexability may be significant as you can plug in a USB drive into ANY of the Heos units and access that USB drive on any of the connected HEOS speakers or amps - you can even stream multiple different streams from the same USB at the same time!!  Every Heos speaker and Amp also has a 'local input' which can also be accessed anywhere else in the Heos network - if you want a system with multiple options in terms of inputs and bridging ability the Heos system is without peer.

However the Audio Quality of the Heos is what makes it stand out, realistically it only really has Sonos as a competitor and HEOS is head and shoulders above Sonos product by product - I've just replaced an Opus DZM100 with a Heos Amp in one room - the DZM100 was really well known as a superb sounding bit of kit ( it was a 2 * 100 Watt amp) - The Heos Amp wipes the floor with it - the Heos range is expanding and they have just released the Heos 1 which is a really amazing sounding compact speaker - apparently similar to the Sonos Play 1, however the similarities end at the appearance - the Heos sounds amazing, the Heos 1 has USB and local inputs AND the HEOS 1 has an optional battery pack which includes a Bluetooth receiver which makes it a really properly portable speaker as well as a network speaker - you can take it away on picnics, on Hols into the garden -it works anywhere even outside network range and of course it also works in the network as a normal network speaker ( Its also waterproof!) Next they are bring out a Soundbar and Sub - again Sonos have these in their range already - the Heos SOundbar and Sub is approx. the same price as the Sonos Soundbar O N L Y - you essentially get the Sub free! - and again the Heos blows the Playbar out of the water in terms of Audio Quality!

I'm gradually replacing my Opus system with Heos with a mixture of Amps and integrated speakers, to date I'm delighted with the results ( with one or two annoying App issues which I've reported to Denon and they are working on) - do have a look at it, its not as well known as Sonos yet but anyone who we have installed it for is delighted with it!

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201431-1-black.aspx?swapstore=1

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12833-heos-5-black.aspx

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12835-denon-heos-amp.aspx

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/heos

Sorry for the spiel - I know I'm an advocate :o- Keep us posted if we can assist with anything,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hi John,
    Great response. Unfortunately, I just saw it now... However, I dropped into the mall on the way home from work to have a look at the LG system... They had the HS7 on sale, with 4.1 soundbar and subwoofer... as I'm heading to the checkout the sales guy chased me down to tell me he'll throw in a H3 speaker free as they had another promotion starting tomorrow... Great sound out of this thing! Eventually I'll add another H3 to make my living room surround sound and I'll add a H5 in the bedroom.

Another bonus is that I discovered that Deezer works here... What a great day

The HEOS sounds great, I'll find out soon how good the quality of my new system is. LG makes sense for me as options are limited here in Dubai and I'll be able to add to it wherever I end up in the world next... Hopefully back in Ireland.

I've been really impressed with the advice from you guys, thanks. I'll be sure to drop in on my next visit back home....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.