Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleting messages

• 07-07-2015 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

I looked at how much space was left in my iphone 6 last night and apparently i only have about 500mbs. I checked what was hogging so much memory and it seems my text messages are about 2gbs.

So I went to the message settings and changed the keep messages from "forever" to "1 year". I did this at 10.30 last night and kept the phone on all night. But I still not cannot access any messages. Even when I click on the messages icon it takes a good 10-15 seconds to open and even then it just brings me straight to a new message. It also is absolutely eating the battery.

God help me if I changed keep messages to 30 days.

Anyone else done this and experienced similar??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Have you tried rebooting? Hold the power and home button until the apple appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Did you actually delete any message though? Changing the setting might not have actually changed how many were in there.

Go back and delete the threads, and then do a reboot as outlined above. I'd say that'll help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I cannot actually see has anything been deleted. but when you change the setting it tells you it will delete everything older than 1 year.

Ill try as above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

gimmick wrote: »
    I cannot actually see has anything been deleted. but when you change the setting it tells you it will delete everything older than 1 year.

Ill try as above.

It's extraordinary how much space messages use.

Its crazy.

I tried rebooting and all the "work" of the previous 12+ hours undone!!!

Surely there has to be a way to delete messages en masse without it blocking the phone completely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

gimmick wrote: »
    Its crazy.

I tried rebooting and all the "work" of the previous 12+ hours undone!!!

Surely there has to be a way to delete messages en masse without it blocking the phone completely?

Yeah just go into the main message menu, hit "edit" in the top left corner, select conversations to delete and voila.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭djdunny

OP just a heads up that normal SMS really don't take up too much space. What takes up the bulk of the space is the pictures that you may have sent and received via iMessage. I was in your position before but I just went through some of my more frequently messaged contacts and deleted the media from the message thread. It meant I still got to keep the message history but reduced all the clutter that the pictures were taking up.

Just back on this. I was recently away for holidays so I used the opportunity to change the setting to delete everything over 30 days.

It took 9 days!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

perhaps the reason why the 1 year option didn't work was because the iPhone 6 is really only 1 year and 1 week old.

When I got the 6 last year it brought over all the messages from years gone by as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement