Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant & Wedding

Options
  • 07-07-2015 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I found out Im pregnant over the weekend, only a couple of weeks gone. My fiance and I first had unprotected sex about 3 to 4 weeks ago (I had been on the pill but went off that a couple of months ago, had been using condoms since then) so it must have happened pretty much first or second time. We didnt think it would happen so quickly given we are both on the wrong side of 35, we are just very fortunate I guess.

The only issue is that we are getting married in less than a week!

Obviously I know the dangers of drinking while pregnant but we aren't telling anyone aside from my best friend who I confided in. The problem with the wedding is that obviously I cant not drink as such because thats an instant give away.

What Im looking for is tips or advice about how to give the appearance of drinking without actually drinking or, consuming the bare minimum.

My friend suggested just walking around holding the same glass or bottle for as long as possible which is a good one, or drinking a glass of beer with loads of ice in it and keep it topped up with ice.

Any other tips? Im not too worried about after the meal as most of the time will be spent on the dance floor, walking around chatting etc so it should be relatively easy to pretend Im drinking as normal, its just when we are in close quarters with people.

Thanks a million.

Flustered Bride to Be.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Congratulations!

A sip or two during the day should be absolutely fine. Talk to your GP though for advice.

Barmen often see a woman ordering a drink that needs to look alcoholic so what I'd suggest is get a few bottles of non-alcoholic fizz to put behind the bar and tell the barmen to serve that for you, if your bridesmaids ask for it. They do it all the time. ;) Have a few glasses dotted around that you can discreetly swap over to a non-alco version. A job for your bridesmaids methinks!

In the early days my partner stepped up to the plate when I was bought a beer. He'd come down from the bar with a holsten in a glass, swap and pour the beer into his own pint.

Few people really notice the bride not drinking, and lots of brides just decide to pace themselves. My sister said she wasn't drinking until after the first dance, just because she wanted to pace herself through a long day, and I know a few other brides who said similar and nobody batted an eye so you could say that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Congrats! I had barely anything to drink at my wedding and I made the decision beforehand not to drink too much as I wanted to remember the day. Holding a glass of something in your hand all the time won't raise any suspicions and you'll be so busy trying to talk to everyone and on such a high you won't even notice yourself. Just don't drink the wine at dinner, no one will notice what you're doing at that stage anyway. Then say you're staying on the water for the dancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

My advice is talk to your venue, you don't have to tell them why you aren't drinking but tell them you need their help. most will be glad to

i'm not a drinker at all (i am completely off it for personal reasons) but my family would be very pushy when it comes to forcing a drink on me, so i spoke to my reception venue and told them my dilemma, they were fantastic about it, they asked what was my favorite drink, i said red bull and when we arrived and my "champagne" flute was handed to me it had red bull in it, they kept topping it up behind the scenes and walking around with a champagne flute with a bubbly liquid which almost matched the other glasses colouring.

i would suggest 7up or cidona or whatever you like, even later on when sambucha shots were done mine was water in a shot glass (the bar staff were told about the no alcohol and were so very good about it)

also speak to your husband to be and have him prepared so if someone buys you a drink thank them and keep it in hand until you excuse yourself as you "have to talk to my new husband" and get him to drink it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

lazygal wrote: »
    Congrats! I had barely anything to drink at my wedding and I made the decision beforehand not to drink too much as I wanted to remember the day. Holding a glass of something in your hand all the time won't raise any suspicions and you'll be so busy trying to talk to everyone and on such a high you won't even notice yourself. Just don't drink the wine at dinner, no one will notice what you're doing at that stage anyway. Then say you're staying on the water for the dancing.

I got married a month ago and was the same, barely had a drink at my wedding too. I was too busy talking to people and having a great time. Even the ones I had I didn't finish.

Brief the hotel to hand you a non-alcoholic bubbly something instead of prosecco when you arrive. (M&S do some I think). You could probably even get them to keep pouring that through dinner and no one will be any the wiser. Then switch to soft drinks later. No one will question it, they'll just assume you have vodka in it.

If they're buying you a drink, just say you want to take it easy and just get the coke this round.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies ladies.

Heard from my doctor today, defo pregnant anyway, 3 to 4 weeks gone, eeep!

I think I will have to tell my two bridesmaids so they will be able to help with the shielding!

We are renting a house the night before as Im not staying in my parents so they will have to know so they dont keep trying to ply me with drinks the night before and the morning of. We are also having a party the day after in our local, that kicks off around 4, its going to be a long day!

When I get my head around it I will register here properly as Im sure I will be back for lots of advice.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I barely drank at all and no-one noticed! You'll be flitting around all day, even if someone puts a glass in your hand it'll be easy to set it down again somewhere else. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats! I barely drank at my wedding and I usually love a few drinks. I was so busy running around talking to everyone. People bought me drinks but I'd put them down on the table and someone else would come over to talk to me and no one noticed. I remember asking for sparkling water and still no one commented. I wasn't pregnant but I was parched with the thirst from running around. I'd say ask for an alcoholic drink of someone wants to buy you one and then get the next person to buy you a tonic or whatever and drink that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Being honest even if you wanted to drink at your wedding you'd find it difficult! Between photos, talking to people and dancing I'd say I had two drinks all day. The night before and the morning of the wedding if people are toasting you you could always have a mouthful of bubbly then say you don't want any more as you want a clear head etc. In early pregnancy the placenta hasn't formed yet so the embryo isn't exposed to alcohol in the same way as it would be later on so don't stress out over a mouthful here or there too if there's no getting round it

Advertisement