Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT vs NCI vs DBS for computer science HDip ICT conversion

Options
  • 07-07-2015 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can shed any insight as to if there are any negatives for the above colleges / courses?

Seems the DIT option is pretty solid (still awaiting springboard verdict), I haven't heard much about NCI (offered for evening course is about to expire) or DBS (possibly will be offered a place).

I get the impression NCI is good overall, but maybe not ideal for computers? Also get the impression DBS would be of lower quality/recognition.

The NCI course is offered as an evening course however, which i don't know if there is a downside to.

Any advice welcomed. I've been offered the DIT Hdip or masters qualifier as paid option, same for Maynooth. Both pushing €5000, but the DIT comes with a placement.

I guess Tallaght IT and Grittith are also options, but I feel they may be ranked lower than above options?

..my goal is software programming, but i am just starting off so that is not a goal set in stone, just looking to get a well rounded base to work off with future study/work!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

In terms of qualification level, all of them should be the same on the National Qualifications Framework.

In terms of reputation, however, I would rate DIT highest, followed by NCI and DBS.

Don't underestimate the value of a work placement.

There's no downside, really, to an evening course - it's usually the same course as delivered to full - time students. I have known of institutions that have the evening students take the same exam, at the same time, as the full-time students.

From simply knowing the calibre of lecturers in NCI, I reckon they run a good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    In terms of qualification level, all of them should be the same on the National Qualifications Framework.

In terms of reputation, however, I would rate DIT highest, followed by NCI and DBS.

Don't underestimate the value of a work placement.

There's no downside, really, to an evening course - it's usually the same course as delivered to full - time students. I have known of institutions that have the evening students take the same exam, at the same time, as the full-time students.

From simply knowing the calibre of lecturers in NCI, I reckon they run a good show.

That is great, thanks for confirming what i had a feeling of!

Where/what did you study? All of the options mentioned provide a work placement. I will have to dig a little deeper regarding how good their placements are / student support (i know NCI has a cheaper gym tho :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My background is in IT and let's just say I am on the academic side of the house now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    My background is in IT and let's just say I am on the academic side of the house now. ;)

Hmmm, not sure if you can say or not... but i'd hazard a guess you teach in NCI?

Advertisement