Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sherlock Holmes.

• 07-07-2015 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently picked up the complete stories of Sherlock Holmes. What I'm wondering is if the books live up to the character as we know him now?

Sherlock Holmes seems to have taken on a whole range of guises and personalities. Does the original work hold up?

I'm looking forward to getting started, and I just wondered what everyone thought.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I love the original Sherlock Holmes stories and think they stand up remarkably well to the modern reader. Far better than Agatha Christie's work for instance. Doyle was ahead of his times and it shows.

I can't really compare to the modern BBC version as I haven't watched it. I think House is a great re-interpretation of the character which succeeds by taking the essence of the character but not being afraid to do its own thing. The Guy Rithchie films are tat.

I think you'll enjoy reading the originals either way especially the short fiction who you get to it and latterly The Hound of the Baskervilles. I don't recommend anything after Reichenbach. Finally, I think you should read the work in order; it's not essential to but I think it enriches the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I love the original Sherlock Holmes stories and think they stand up remarkably well to the modern reader. Far better than Agatha Christie's work for instance. Doyle was ahead of his times and it shows.

I can't really compare to the modern BBC version as I haven't watched it. I think House is a great re-interpretation of the character which succeeds by taking the essence of the character but not being afraid to do its own thing. The Guy Rithchie films are tat.

I think you'll enjoy reading the originals either way especially the short fiction who you get to it and latterly The Hound of the Baskervilles. I don't recommend anything after Reichenbach. Finally, I think you should read the work in order; it's not essential to but I think it enriches the experience.

Thanks for the reply. I'm ashamed to say that I could never find the proper chronology. Interest and necessity led me to buying the full collection :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

They were popular Victoriana fiction. Very easy to read and really enjoyable too. They tempt you to keep reading, suspensful text urges readers on.

Thanks for the reply. I'm ashamed to say that I could never find the proper chronology. Interest and necessity led me to buying the full collection :D
    It's a bit more complex than it needs to be alright. Best reading them in order of publication I think, as per the top answer here:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091003132759AALqEGs

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

This is great, guys. Hopefully it restarts my reading habit. I've gone through a dry spell lately :/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

This is great, guys. Hopefully it restarts my reading habit. I've gone through a dry spell lately :/

Good books to get back into it. Very easy to fly through them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I was a little surprised by the character in the books. He's far more neurotic and immature than modern interpretations tend to show. They're very easy to read though, as said. Very rare instances of word use that makes little sense to a modern reader.

He uses "singular" a lot, essentially to mean "unique/fascinating", which you don't hear much in modern language. My favourite, by far however, is that he now and then uses a certain verb to mean "spoke suddenly".

Typical example: "You can't be serious!" Watson ejaculated.

Won't find that in modern English...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Earthhorse wrote: »

Please don't listen to this - the "Return of Sherlock Holmes" series is well worth reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I came to reading Sherlock Holmes after watching Elementary and I can hear Johnny Lee Miller's voice when I'm reading. I love that!

The books are really great and easy to get through. You'll enjoy them!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Any particular book you'd recommend to start off with or does it really matter?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

I really do think it's worth following the chronology I posted above but the short stories tend to be the best and The Adventures are where it really kicks off. Still worth reading the other two books before it though ultimately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Hound of the Baskervilles is brilliant, one of my all time favourite books.Really atmospheric book.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Jinonatron

I picked up "The adventures of Sherlock Holmes" in Taiwan last week. It was one of the only books they had in English and it was only about 2€. Read it on the flight back. Incredibly well written, atmospheric and a page turner. I love a good short story. Can't believe I've not read this before.

Just found out nearly everything is available on the iTunes store for free. Except for that last one. Happy times.

Advertisement