Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dawn of War III incoming?

• 07-07-2015 12:19pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Seems theres a good chance that Dawn of War III will be announced soon.

Sega have re-registered the www.dawnofwar3.com domain that was orginally registered back in 2011, the registrants e-mail address belong to Relic Studio's I.T. department.

Link below
    http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-domain-registered/

I'd expect we will here an offically annoucement shortly.

Enjoyed the original Dawn of War multplayer and its first expansion back in the day, playing it with friends over a lan. The second game was pretty divisive, I thought it was good, but too close to Company of Heroes in gameplay albiet with hero units, but COH was simply a better game and DOW 2 couldn't hold my interest. Singple player was abit flat in both games but I heard the co-op in 2 was good fun.

Wonder what direction they will go with this one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah, spotted this yesterday on pcgamer

Hopefully they go something similar to COH2's ardennes assault with company xp, and the awesome "Dune" dynamic map system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oooooooh my god oh my god.

As much as I enjoy Soulstorm, it's time for something new.

And no DOW2 doesn't count. Single player was fun but the multiplayer is nothing like/not a patch on DOW1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I enjoyed the single player in DOW2 but the multiplayer was a major step backwards from Dawn of War and Company of Heroes. They tried to radically change something that didn't need changing and I don't think the result went down particularly well. I wanted to like it so badly but I just couldn't. I know that about 6 of my friends own Dawn of War and most of its expansions and we still play occassionally - but I'm the only one with DOW2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I felt like 2 brought in a degree of tactical gameplay and general difficulty that lacked from the versions of DOW1 that I played (I can't get the vanilla version to run on windows 8.1 but Dark Crusade was class).

What I'd love to see is a compromise version for single player.

I'd love slightly bigger squads (if only because a total of 11 marines looks a little disappointing), a small degree of base building, even if it's more like XCom than building in individual missions, but a retention of the rpg elements, general gear system and ability-based combat.

But DOW2's multiplayer/skirmish mode was seriously ****. Absolutely just an afterthought.
    It'd need to either go back to basics and have proper base-building, or go full tactical and objective based gameplay with no unit production at all and focus entirely on micro, tactics and so on.

DOW2 was neither one nor the other.

Also, I'd love a Dark Crusade-style "world domination mode" sort of thing. They're always good.
    I even remember one of the Command and Conquer games had one (3 I think) and it was great as well - mixed turn based on a global scale, building up armies in individual locations, followed by RTS gameplay for individual battles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They need to go back to what worked which was DoW 1; DoW 2 was a complete fiasco by comparison and rather than shrink the game they should increase it with more and larger units, maps etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Its one thing not to like the direction the game play took in the sequel. But I fail to see how it can be labelled as a fiasco.

As far as I'm aware the game reviewed well, didn't flop commercially and was technically sound with no game breaking bugs.

Be fair to say fans of the original game where divided on it though.

Gbear wrote: »
    even if it's more like XCom than building in individual missions

Huh...that's actually a fantastic idea. You play someone that ends up in charge of a newly minted/salvaged Strike Cruiser during the middle of a campaign and you have to run around trying to get it up to full strength and readiness over the course of the game, while deploying different forces to threats as they appear within your zone of operation.

Hell, someone could do it as a mod to Xcom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not getting my hopes up as this may just be a case of not allowing the IP copyright to be lost.

Personally, I'd love to see a 100% unit accurate 40K game in the style of DOW2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If they loop back towards DOW1 Ill be all over this, if its more DOW2 then I cant say I was a fan.

So many 40K based games are huge let downs that I cant say Im that hopeful.

I liked both of them, I was initially disappointed by DoW2 but it's a squad based RTS, and it's a good one at that. The only major gripe i had with it after i'd realised what kind of game it was is that it had GFWL in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

DoWII was technically sound with lots of potential but it had no soul, it was just a tedious trudge from one end of a level to another, such a disappointment, I took 2 days holidays for its release aswell.

DoW Dark Crusade was the absolute pinnacle of the series and RTS games in general for me, they completely nailed the desperate Warhammer feeling of throwing units into the breach to buy time especially when trying to hold back the Necrons or a Chaos army, sweaty armpits fighting them especially in their home sectors, proper hard fighting to pick up vital perks, upgrading your commander, then doing it all again as the Tau and Necron armies, I absolutely love that game, must have gotten a couple of hundred hours of gameplay out of it and it would run on a potato pc, hope they do it all again with ultra graphics/deformable terrain etc, proper set pieces/40k plot, space battles, improved RPG elements maybe applied to all squads not just the commander (upgrading your squads with relics in II was pretty fun).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Amen to that, one of best bits was we could LAN it on old 2008 laptops no problem, really well coded.

I got 75% off vouchers for DoW 1 and 2 on Steam today. Already have both games so it's an odd thing to do, but still...most curious. Getting people playing the older games would be a wise move in the run up to announcing the new game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Zillah wrote: »
    I got 75% off vouchers for DoW 1 and 2 on Steam today. Already have both games so it's an odd thing to do, but still...most curious. Getting people playing the older games would be a wise move in the run up to announcing the new game.

They also just added Steam Cards to DoW2 after all these years. Plus the DoW bundles went on Steam sale too. It all certainly reeks of marketing begining the ramp up for DoW3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Hopefully if this does happen the dev team will be a bit less Eldar biased :pac:

Zillah wrote: »

i got one of those for DoWII last night aswell, works out as around 3.75 for the game, if anyone wants it, let me know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Angron wrote: »
    Hopefully if this does happen the dev team will be a bit less Eldar biased :pac:

The whole franchise is imperium biased :P you go to a tournament its 20 marine flavors, 5 chaos, and 5 assorted xenos players :rolleyes:.

Angron wrote: »

Having played about a billion games of DoW + expansions I can confirm that the Eldar are overpowered. They are vulnerable in a few different ways, at specific times, but overall they are broken. They can spam walkers like no one's business; the Seer Council is virtually indestructible; the Warp Spiders are as tough as Terminators despite being more lethal, having a larger squad and a fucking teleport power; Khaine is the best relic unit; even the rangers are a morale-shattering super-squad.

Oddly enough I discovered that Necrons can take them by spamming Heavy Destroyers, which breaks the back of the Eldar vehicles, which ruins their end game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

To be honest, my main gripes with Eldar were FoF, and the Avatar of Khaine increasing the pop caps for the army while decreasing build times across the board.

Poor Chaos got shafted for relic units, Bloodthirster constantly losing health when it wasn't in combat was a pain in the arse.

Advertisement