Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weight lifting for over weight lady

• 07-07-2015 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi

Just wondering would weight lifting help me lose weight faster than cardio, I enjoy weight lifting a lot more as I feel I'm good at it a lot more than cardio.
    Just asking because I'm very over weight at the moment (19 stone) and just making sure it'd be the right road to go.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

Hi Catherine,

For the most part weight loss will really be down to diet more than the type of exercise you do - it's all about calories in Vs calories out and it's usually easier to eat fewer calories than to burn off more. But that said, while you may burn more calories during an intense cardio session, you'll usually continue to burn calories for longer after weight lifting so this is an advantage. You'll probably "tone up" (i.e. build more muscle) more than you would with cardio alone so your body shape could change more favourably. (As a side note, I'm sure you've heard that muscle burns more than fat but the difference is actually pretty negligible.)

I think it's really down to what you enjoy. If you like a particular type of exercise you'll be more likely to stick to it in the long term which is the important thing. And exercising can help you to make healthier food choices and thus help your weight loss efforts indirectly.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Catherine86

helliwen wrote: »
    Hi Catherine,

For the most part weight loss will really be down to diet more than the type of exercise you do - it's all about calories in Vs calories out and it's usually easier to eat fewer calories than to burn off more. But that said, while you may burn more calories during an intense cardio session, you'll usually continue to burn calories for longer after weight lifting so this is an advantage. You'll probably "tone up" (i.e. build more muscle) more than you would with cardio alone so your body shape could change mroe favourably. (As a side note, I'm sure you've heard that muscle burns more than fat but the difference is actually pretty negligible.)

I think it's really down to what you enjoy. If you like a particular type of exercise you'll be more likely to stick to it in the long term which is the important thing. And exercising can help you to make healthier food choices and thus help your weight loss efforts indirectly.

Good luck!

Thanks Helliwen, I love your positive attitude, great advice :)

Advertisement