Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo Traveller to New York in August

Options
  • 07-07-2015 12:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

I'm looking to go to New York for 7 days in August, I have been to America before but never to New York City so I need to some advice

I am a lad in my mid 30s traveling alone so bearing that in mind I would appreciate an itinerary of must things to see/do

Is 7 days too long?

Thinking of booking the Pennsylvania Hotel, heard it isn't great but it cheap and central

Would just like some general advice on a plan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Hi. What's your budget for a hotel?

Is it just general sightseeing and 'touristy' stuff you want to do? 7 days isn't too long. NY in August can be pretty humid though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

The max is 200 a night but I can get the Pennsylvania for 836 for the 7 days, I wouldnt mind the saving if that hotel isnt totally ****e

SoulTrader wrote: »
    Hi. What's your budget for a hotel?

Is it just general sightseeing and 'touristy' stuff you want to do? 7 days isn't too long. NY in August can be pretty humid though.

Yes that and going to a few bars and restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Haven't stayed at the Pennsylvania myself but I would be wary of it because of the reviews. It is probably that cheap for a reason. If you stay there, make sure you read up on recent reviews.

The only hotel I've stayed at around the $200 mark is The Wolcott which isn't amazing but was definitely clean and comfortable and in a reasonable location (not far from the Penn in fact).

It will be worth getting a metro card for the subway when you're there. I was there 2 weeks ago and it was $32 for a weekly pass.

For sightseeing, I think the 'Top of the Rock' at the Rockefeller Centre is worth a visit. Best view of NY in my opinion as you get to look downtown and see the NY skyline with the Empire State Building (and now the Freedom Tower) in full view. Going up the Empire State Building is not as good as you don't get to see the Empire State Building's position in the skyline when you're standing right on top of it.

The Statue of Liberty is another big attraction. Going to see it can often entail long queues for the ferry. I did it that way about 15 years ago. I saw it recently when I went with my wife but we just took the (free) Staten Island ferry to Staten Island from Whitehall terminal. You don't get too close but close enough to see it as you pass by.

I haven't gone to bars / clubs in NY in ages so I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice about that.

For restaurants, Balthazar in Soho is pretty good (better for breakfast / brunch than dinner). I've not been to Gramercy Tavern but have heard great reviews and am going in a couple of weeks time and their Tavern has a no reservations policy, so just walk in. Both should be pretty good choices for a solo traveller. If you want to go more upscale I really like Marea or either of the Nobu restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Take a look here for hotel deals -

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60763-New_York_City_New_York-Hotels.html

Don't forget that there are taxes added to these rates (unless it says all taxes included, which it usually doesn't). Plan on adding an extra 14.375% to your room rate to get the real total.

http://taxes.answers.com/business-taxes/the-new-york-city-hotel-tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Call in to the White Horse Tavern, Bridge Street, owned by Mike Gleeson from Tipp. They will feed you and give you plenty of advice re what to do during your stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

I'm looking to go to New York for 7 days in August, I have been to America before but never to New York City so I need to some advice
    Have you booked your ticket yet?

If not, try and fly in to EWR and not JFK. Never, ever, fly in to LGA.

Traffic from JFK is nightmarish at best. I would bet that you could get to anywhere up/mid town from EWR faster and cheaper than JFK.

United goes to EWR and Aer Lingus to JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

FISMA. wrote: »

Yup. I'm a big fan of Newark too.

There's an excellent shuttle into nyc. About half an hour max to port authority bus terminal. Then it stops at Bryant park and grand central.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

FISMA. wrote: »

Traffic from JFK is nightmarish at best. I would bet that you could get to anywhere up/mid town from EWR faster and cheaper than JFK.

United goes to EWR and Aer Lingus to JFK.

Only if you drive or take a taxi from JFK! Newark is in general much more expensive due to United's stranglehold on the market. If you do end up going to JFK, just take the Airtrain to Jamaica Station, then hop on ANY LIRR train that comes through. You'll be in NYC in 20 minutes non-stop for $8.

I think the hotel would be OK. I can't think of anything else that would be that cheap in August. The only other option would be Airbnb. A quick search showed a wide range of properties available for August for under $200.

Thanks guys , what's the absolute minimum amount of time I should spend in New York , I'm also considering another city. Any advice ? I'm considering Orlando , I've been to Dallas , Vegas , new orloeons and Miami before . I'm thinking about Orlando but opening to suggestions , New York for 3 days followed by another city for 3 days . Would you do New York first or second ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Dont pay too much attention to the hotel reviews, the Penn is fine. (We stayed in Hotel Carter a few years ago, its has a rep as the worst hotel in the states but it was fine if you're happy to have a bed and shower and be central).

For NY be prepared to go hell for leather to get it all in in 3 days. Do Empire State by night, Top of Rock by day, bike central park, tour Madison Sq garden, definitely do the Circle Line Harbour Lights cruise, walk Brooklyn Bridge, get a three day open top bus ticket from the street vendors and thats really useful transport. Go to Times Square at night and soak it in. Intrepid Air, Sea, Space museum is great too. Skyride is like a cheap helicopter ride.
    Orlando, stay on International Drive, Rosen Inn at Pointe is good value. Do the daytrip to NASA with the included airboat ride if you can, awesome day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Thanks guys , what's the absolute minimum amount of time I should spend in New York , I'm also considering another city. Any advice ? I'm considering Orlando , I've been to Dallas , Vegas , new orloeons and Miami before . I'm thinking about Orlando but opening to suggestions , New York for 3 days followed by another city for 3 days . Would you do New York first or second ?

It really depends what you're into. If you're into museums and the sites, then 7 days is a nice stretch of time, as it takes a while to get places. You also get to sit back and soak it all in instead of rushing from one place to another.

3 days is imho too short, as it takes a couple of days to get over the jetlag and feel remotely normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm thinking about Orlando but opening to suggestions , New York for 3 days followed by another city for 3 days . Would you do New York first or second ?

Orlandos only for the theme parks right? Not much else there is there?

What about San Fransisco or LA or Seattle?

I think i'd do NY second. Its so unlike anywhere else in the US, its a good "bridge" to going back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The rooms in the Hotel Pennsylvania are awful but it is handy for somewhere to put your head down. Very central and if you do fly in to La Guardia the train brings you to Penn station straight across the road.
    In summary as a single man it is a perfect place to put your head down but if you do pull go back to her place!

Think of booking fitzpatricks hotel , anyone here ever stay there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Think of booking fitzpatricks hotel , anyone here ever stay there

Which one? Stayed in the one on Lexington avenue, it was fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Stayed in Fitzpatrick Grand Central 2 weeks ago for a week. Great location, near the subway, near restaurants and cafes, walking distance to Times Square if feeling energetic or else 2 minutes by subway. Hotel is fine, safe provided in the room, decent size bathroom.

Does it matter which one I stay in? Also with regards getting around should I use taxis or would you recommend a different mode of transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Does it matter which one I stay in? Also with regards getting around should I use taxis or would you recommend a different mode of transport?

They're different hotels, no two hotels in a chain are the same. The one at Grand Central is better located if you plan to use the subway, which I would if I were you. I would also walk, Manhattan is easy to navigate. I would very rarely use a taxi in New York, the subway is cheap and relatively reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

There are crap loads of taxis, you won't have any problems using them. Uber is probably a bit cheaper, but in reality - not by much.

The subway is great - whenever I'm in NY i just use that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

Definitely use the subway, $31 for a weekly ticket, you'd spend that on two taxis, download the subway map app to your phone and you can't go wrong.

Where would a good place to watch United games in NYC? Ill probably be over there for the 2nd leg of the champions league qualifier play off?

Where would a good place to watch United games in NYC? Ill probably be over there for the 2nd leg of the champions league qualifier play off?

Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Anyone ?

Hi Paddy Dreadful,
    If you didn't get sorted it will be shown here:
    http://thepressboxnyc.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kcampbell116

If you want to watch an united game if suggest Legends on 33rd street and fifth! They show must football games and there is always a great atmosphere in there on match days!!

Advertisement