Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus 7/59/111 Changes

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Tbh I thought running the 63 on a very short stretch of the n11 was a very wise idea instead I would have realigned it so that the 84 would run down the n11 as far as Clonkeen road and the 63 would run via Cabinteely Village. It would mean the the 63 and the 84 could both go straight on without so much twisting only problem being it would make two bus shelters redundant.

I see your point about traffic but really the stop does need to be there for the Community School and obivously since isint much place to put it on lower Johnstown Road it was the only place to put it.

I believe it could have been put in on Johnstown rd. But sure that would make sense for some reason that never comes into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,589 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I get it if its done right and nothing on the n11 is as every junction is designed and lay out differently.

Find a concept that works and put that across the board.

It won't make more cycle because one junction is changed and honestly 63 won't make more use cars less.

It will, and other junctions are getting upgraded next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I believe it could have been put in on Johnstown rd. But sure that would make sense for some reason that never comes into it.

I reckon it would **** up even more on Johnstown road at least on the N11 it has a pull in area and is on a bus lane Johnstown road is bottleneck at peak times. Is the cycle not goingoing around the back of the bus stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ted1 wrote: »
    More people will cycle now that the facilities are being put in.

Cyclists are inside the bus stop so there's no issue with them being on the outside.
    the new cycle track on the cabinteely village side is pretty good -there are no kerbs trying to divide the pedestrians walking to the bus stop from the cyclists. Its a bit of a free for all, people are blindly walking to the busstop without even realising bikes are about, but there is loads of room so cyclists can very easily avoid them. When it gets to busier times of year it might be a bit of a mess and people will be wandering around with headphones in.

The other side of the road is terrible though, cyclists will certainly be on the outside in the way of buses as they will not use it. They are not legally obliged to use the cycletracks, on that stretch at the moment most cyclists do, as it is (sorry was) a pretty good lane. It is now very dangerous, and it is not even in use as a busstop yet! I fear they are going to put another one of those stupid bus shelters in with a break in the back where morons like to wander out onto the cycle track.

People get up really high speeds on that stretch. They have put up this ridiculously high wooden hoarding which creates a complete blind spot. Many idiots cycle the wrong way on that stretch, so you will have lads hitting 50km/hr down that stretch coming around the blind corner slowing down just a bit, and I guarantee there will be serious crashes. Immediately around the blind corner is a lamppost so the lane is further reduced, and I think there are manhole covers which people on road bikes avoid like the plague. I have witnessed a few crashes on that stretch already, fools doing this "commuter racing" stuff, 2 a breast, really close passing.

People on road bikes cannot jump down off the kerb as safely so I reckon people on road bikes will not begin cycling in the bus lane from the stretch from the dunnes flyover down to cabinteely, then back onto the cycle track.

People already cycle on the road at foxrock church as it is so dangerous, you have these utter morons standing on the cycletrack at the bus stop, thinking they are cool as fcuk or something, so rather than hope they will not be so stupid as to further step in front of you many resort to cycle on the road for safety -if they are that stupid to be doing that in the first place who knows what they are capable of. I have had to hop off the kerb to avoid these goons, and have shouted at them to let them know exactly what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,589 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rubadub wrote: »
    the new cycle track on the cabinteely village side is pretty good -there are no kerbs trying to divide the pedestrians walking to the bus stop from the cyclists. Its a bit of a free for all, people are blindly walking to the busstop without even realising bikes are about, but there is loads of room so cyclists can very easily avoid them. When it gets to busier times of year it might be a bit of a mess and people will be wandering around with headphones in.

The other side of the road is terrible though, cyclists will certainly be on the outside in the way of buses as they will not use it. They are not legally obliged to use the cycletracks, on that stretch at the moment most cyclists do, as it is (sorry was) a pretty good lane. It is now very dangerous, and it is not even in use as a busstop yet! I fear they are going to put another one of those stupid bus shelters in with a break in the back where morons like to wander out onto the cycle track.

People get up really high speeds on that stretch. They have put up this ridiculously high wooden hoarding which creates a complete blind spot. Many idiots cycle the wrong way on that stretch, so you will have lads hitting 50km/hr down that stretch coming around the blind corner slowing down just a bit, and I guarantee there will be serious crashes. Immediately around the blind corner is a lamppost so the lane is further reduced, and I think there are manhole covers which people on road bikes avoid like the plague. I have witnessed a few crashes on that stretch already, fools doing this "commuter racing" stuff, 2 a breast, really close passing.

People on road bikes cannot jump down off the kerb as safely so I reckon people on road bikes will not begin cycling in the bus lane from the stretch from the dunnes flyover down to cabinteely, then back onto the cycle track.

People already cycle on the road at foxrock church as it is so dangerous, you have these utter morons standing on the cycletrack at the bus stop, thinking they are cool as fcuk or something, so rather than hope they will not be so stupid as to further step in front of you many resort to cycle on the road for safety -if they are that stupid to be doing that in the first place who knows what they are capable of. I have had to hop off the kerb to avoid these goons, and have shouted at them to let them know exactly what they are.

I've actually lodged a complaint to them about that llamp post, and question why they put two metal man holes on the bend as oppose to the footpath where they are not as much of a skip hazard.

I think people will use the lane as oppose to going through the bus stop.

The wooden boards are actually sound barriers for the houses.

Don't get me started on the fox rock part , it's a check over your shoulder and in to the bus lane. Far to many bumps that could through you and then when it narrows is just crazy.

• Advertisement

Coming to think about it is the new 111 well used it looks like a complete random tour of the the Dun Laoghaire. I don't see there needs to be a half hourly bus between Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire when the Dart runs every 15 minutes between the the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Coming to think about it is the new 111 well used it looks like a complete random tour of the the Dun Laoghaire. I don't see there needs to be a half hourly bus between Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire when the Dart runs every 15 minutes between the the two.

Considering the fact that the beginning of Breffni Road from the Dalkey end is a good half to 3/4 of a mile from the nearest DART Station makes it and the 59 a fair compromise. Also, there is Our Lady's Manor which is just a bit up from the end of Breffni Road making it a vital service for those visiting Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey.

Now, having said all of that, the routing for the 111 to Brides Glen is ridiculous with the amount of meandering that it takes between both ends. On that basis, I detect something of a Machiavellian attempt at crippling it's viability. I say that because no one will want to ditch the car for the 111 if the journey to the Luas alone is taking 40 minutes or more.

Given that Castlepark, St. Catherine's and Albert Roads are essentially being bypassed with the new 59 routing, I am surprised that new bus stops adjacent to Barnhill Stores or at least near Proby Park or Saval Park Road haven't been erected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Considering the fact that the beginning of Breffni Road from the Dalkey end is a good half to 3/4 of a mile from the nearest DART Station makes it and the 59 a fair compromise. Also, there is Our Lady's Manor which is just a bit up from the end of Breffni Road making it a vital service for those visiting Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey.

Now, having said all of that, the routing for the 111 to Brides Glen is ridiculous with the amount of meandering that it takes between both ends. On that basis, I detect something of a Machiavellian attempt at crippling it's viability. I say that because no one will want to ditch the car for the 111 if the journey to the Luas alone is taking 40 minutes or more.

Given that Castlepark, St. Catherine's and Albert Roads are essentially being bypassed with the new 59 routing, I am surprised that new bus stops adjacent to Barnhill Stores or at least near Proby Park or Saval Park Road haven't been erected.

the 111 doesn't run on a Sunday either.

If the 111 was to be a decent usable service, it would be circular and instead of stopping in Dalkey, would go up Barnhill Road and up to Brides Glen.

But that would mean an actual bus link up between the dart and the Luas, which is unthinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

the timings of the 111 and the 59 heading from DL towards Dalkey appear run with 10 minutes between them. So 2 buses an hour, just at 10 past and 20 past (or whatever) rather than half hourly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I've seen similar bunching with the 7 and 7A, given the total journey time being longer for the 7A inbound.

• Advertisement

I see the 63 is having a diversion through cabinteely village next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ted1 wrote: »
    I've actually lodged a complaint to them about that llamp post, and question why they put two metal man holes on the bend as oppose to the footpath where they are not as much of a skip hazard.

I think people will use the lane as oppose to going through the bus stop.
    This section is finishing up now. The light sequencing onto the N11 has changed. What looked like regular road workers (rather than council traffic guys) appear to be monitoring traffic flow there. However on 3 occassions I saw "guys in high viz" assisting the traffic. e.g. there was no blockage of view of traffic lights but they were notifiying cars that they had a green light and waving them on. A guy this morning (illegally jaywalking) ran out onto the junction to wave a car on which was stranded in the middle, who did not know who was going to get a green light next.

I have no real issue with sensible, albeit illegal, stuff like this, I am more concerned that they are seemingly monitoring traffic flow and it might result in everything appearing just fine, but when these "helpers" are gone the junction might be far worse.

I saw my first near miss at that "blind wooden corner". Some idiot was cycling the wrong way on the track, as is always going to happen. However I think it is more likely to happen now. I think he came out of the maple manor estate around the corner, now that there is such a wide track people are more likely to stick on that track if lights are otherwise red. This "safe" guy remembered his helmet, his high viz but left his cop on at home. The bus stop section is very wide at the moment, he could have cycled onto it to see if bikes were coming but didn't bother at all.

He had a near miss with a second moron running on the track with the intended flow of cyclists (also ironically Mr.Safe with his high viz vest). The cycle lane is temporaily narrowed at this dangerous section at the moment, it should be fully closed off IMO.

Advertisement