Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocket League

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Does this support Couch Play (Co-Op, Competitive)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Cormac... wrote: »
    Does this support Couch Play (Co-Op, Competitive)?

Yes, you can play split-screen co-op or you can go up against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Free Portal DLC coming tomorrow apparently.

A few free cosmetic items. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Just confirmed for XB1, out February. Comes with Gears of War Armadillo & Halo Hogsticker:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I've only started playing this in the last few days, am absolutely dreadful but it seems like fun and as I'm not miked up (and won't be), hopefully I'd avoid anyone cursing me out for my ineptitude!

I'm guessing this isn't really a game for tips & tricks, rather something you only get the hang of by playing? How do you handbrake turn on PC using an Xbox controller?

• Advertisement

ionapaul wrote: »
    I've only started playing this in the last few days, am absolutely dreadful but it seems like fun and as I'm not miked up (and won't be), hopefully I'd avoid anyone cursing me out for my ineptitude!

I'm guessing this isn't really a game for tips & tricks, rather something you only get the hang of by playing? How do you handbrake turn on PC using an Xbox controller?

Text chat will see you won't escape :D

"Teammate sucks"
    "Nooooob"
    "Please uninstall game"

Kids are so angry these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

All that would possibly do would make me intentionally play poorly! Why would anyone waste the effort to slag off a poor player, it makes no sense...

Definitely seems like a really fun, totally frantic game (have only played three games, all 3-v-3). Probably should do the training first I suppose. Is there a single player 'campaign' separate from the training?

All that would possibly do would make me intentionally play poorly! Why would anyone waste the effort to slag off a poor player, it makes no sense...

Definitely seems like a really fun, totally frantic game (have only played three games, all 3-v-3). Probably should do the training first I suppose. Is there a single player 'campaign' separate from the training?

You can play exhibition matches offline against bots. I wouldn't waste too much time on that though, just play in the unranked online matches until you get the hang of it.

I know what you mean about the futility of slagging off teammates. Yesterday I was asked how the hell I was at master level. I got the ball and blasted it past him into our own net. That's how you d1ck.

Training is pretty important too to grasp some of the nuanced movements like flying etc

Cormac... wrote: »
    Training is pretty important too to grasp some of the nuanced movements like flying etc

Yeah, I was just saying I wouldn't waste too much time playing offline after training. The AI are just too predictable and easy, it won't stand to you all that much when playing actual human players.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was just saying I wouldn't waste too much time playing offline after training. The AI are just too predictable and easy, it won't stand to you all that much when playing actual human players.

Yeah, the AI are awful when I played it at release, you'd get more goals from the opposition than you would your own AI buddy :pac:

The text chat insults are usually just vile little kids looking to blame anybody but themselves. I tend to find the worst offenders are usually the worst players.

One did make me laugh though.
    "Stop trying to fly, you are bad at it" :)
    It was just so cutting and to the point, the other guy just quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Handbrake turn using the drift key, by default assigned to 'X'.

#1 Everyone is dreadful at this game. Missing the ball is to be expected. Don't be discouraged by missing a ball on your own goalline. A missed ball in attack is generally just a missed hit. A missed ball in defence is a goal, which leads to morons spamming "what a save". The most important thing is that you were in position there in the first place to attempt the save. Positioning is actually everything in this game.

#2 SLOW DOWN! Flying full speed into everything is pointless and silly. Positioning and anticipation is everything in this game. (Repeated for emphasis) Don't just chase the ball wily nily, try to read where it will be. Read your opponents car speeds and angle of approach those will tell the potential hits on the ball. For example, if someone has a long run up to a slightly bouncing ball, drop back towards your own goal as they can easily hit a looping lob shot that can be very tricky to save driving backwards towards your own goal. If the ball is rolling away from someone, their shot is going to be weak, so you can press further forward just make sure the angle of opportunity they have for scoring is minimal.

#3 If there's two players ahead of you - and you want to win - stay back. This doesn't mean you have to park in your net. Doing so actually offers the opposition space for easy clears. Keep the pressure in their half. If you're last line of defence don't go for a blockable shot. Instead, recycle the ball towards the opposition corners, keep them pinned back and where possible steal their boost forcing them to have venture further to get some.

#4 The best goalie is the one that prevents a save from being made in first place. When facing a counter attack close down their angles on the net, buy time for your teammates to get back. There's no game points for this, but believe me it's vital!

As a general rule defence should work something like this.
    Furthest player [A] foward out of the immediate play grabs boost canister and rotates back.
    Middle player forward closest to ball applies direct pressure on opposition. Denying them an easy shot, if possible, tipping the ball lightly to side to slow down the opposing teams momentum and making any shot execution as difficult as possible.
    Furthest player [C] back covers worst case scenario. Expect the goalscoring shot on goal.

Here's one way this might play out when opponents are launching a counter attack.
    applies direct pressure and forces the opponents down to defending corner. At this point [C] has to attempt to shut down the immediate cross/center. (There's a real danger that B might just center on his own goal) Any ball that get's directly over your own cross bar is incredibly hard to defend. By the time C is charging to block the cross, A should be back in goal with a good amount of boost to attempt an aerial over the net clear should the cross fail to be blocked. If A can't fly, then all he can do is wait and pray. His plentiful supply of boost at least allows the option of a fast counter. If A does fly, B should have rotated back around to cover any rebounding shots. Either way B, should do his best to close off the easiest scoring angles. Guess where they're going to shoot it, hope and pray. Generally speaking at lower levels people cannot shoot the ball low near the net. So jump and tilt you car to the vertical and just hope you get enough of a touch on it that it bounces out away from your goal.

#5 A missed shot is often better than a shot leading to an easy save. There's a wall directly over the goal's cross bar. Bounces off that wall are a nightmare for any defending goalie. If you're in goals and can't hit the direct wall rebound, your best option here is to try to seal off as many easy angles between the ball bounce outwards, yourself and net - and pray. If you're striking, reading the back bounce can be tricky but if you keep getting in position often enough you'll learn how to read them. Learning to score them is a whole other matter. When the ball is going back towards you at speed you want to either lightly tip it. Or, get a really smooth centre cue hit on it so you don't give it any height. The latter is far easier said than done. In the beginning if you just focus on light tips, you'll likely score most times until you reach more advanced opposition. Once you get comfortable with those you can concentrate on hitting the ball with venom.

#6 Trust your teammates. I know there's a guide on youtube that states not to do this, but that guy [Gibbs] could dribble and control the ball at his ease with first touch. Most players of the skill level he was playing against couldn't do that. You don't want to pick up bad habits. Unless there's a danger of conceding a goal, always trust your teammates. Yes, sometimes, you'll be given ones that will be toxic. A lot of them though will want to work with you, but will only try it if you show you're working with them. So yeah, trust them until it's pretty clear that you can't. Even still, I would recommend trusting them. Other than for saves, two teammates or more people going for the same ball is an absolute no no in my eyes. As you're basically counting on everyone to miss, bar you. Best to wait, and see where the ball will go and go for the contest you can win. If you miss the ball, so what?

#7 1.5 seconds. You have 1.5 seconds between your first jump button press and a repeat press for double jump or flip/dodge. This is how people get ridiculous power on aerial hits without being supersonic. More for the relevance of early game is that this 1.5 seconds can make your saves in goal that little bit easier if you lose control of your flight, just flip in the direction towards it, who knows you might still hit it.

#8 Supersonic is max speed.
    You cannot go faster than supersonic. This is when there's a purple trail under the wheel of your cars. You also hear a sonic boom at the moment you reach super sonic. Unless you need to turn, which will you slow you down a bit, don't use boost. You're only wasting it.
    Supersonic also allows you demolish other cars taking them out of the play for 3 seconds. A common mistake people make when attempting a demo is to turn tightly towards the target car without boosting. If you're going for a demo, might be a good idea to keep boosting if you anticipate having to change direction rapidly, if you don't hit the target while supersonic they won't explode. If you see (or hear) someone coming towards you at full speed: jump!

#9 Play the player when you can.
    Whenever it's safe to do so and you have the opportunity always bump the opposition car. If you can kill it, even better!:) Although there are situations where a bump is preferable to a kill that respawns them in their own corner.

#10 The face off. People spawned on the diagonals are closest to the ball. If you spawn in net, stay in net for the initial play at least. The face off contestant should always try to get the last touch on the ball. The game awards point for the first touch but really this is pointless unless you know how direct it. The ball will go forward off who touches it last. The difficulty here is that if you arrive too late the ball will fly past you. So get there quickly, but just not as quick as the other guy.

#10.1 In 1v1s a common tactic is to park on net and not contest. Easiest way to check if your opponent is doing it to use the right analog stick to tilt your camera. If they're stationary in their goal and you don't know how to shoot. Cancel your flip. Stop your boost and the hit ball towards a side corner. As a general rule though, don't park in the goal for the face off. If they can shoot you're kind of at their mercy. A bad habit to pick up imo. Because what happens is you'll progress without really practicing your face offs and then when you face opponents who know how to shoot, you won't be able to contest the face off with them either.

On the flipside, if they park in net and if you're leading the game or it's level. Cancel your flip, cancel your boost, keep your eye on the opponent. Stop just halfway between the last and second last boost pad in front of the ball and wait. They actually won't be able to see your car. Worse still, if they go out to hit the ball you'll always get there first. (As long as you saved enough boost!) And better yet, if you have a car like Octane or Breakout you'll hit a nice dinky lob right over them! Takes a little bit of experimenting but believe me it's worth it. You can waste a full 30 or so seconds doing this. :D

#11 Mute!
    Toxic player on your team or the opposition? Just open the pause menu and mute them! This game doesn't really require that much communication anyway.

Finally have fun. This game is about fun first and foremost. So laugh at the saves you screw up. Savour the ones that you pull off. Admire the moments that made you look like a rocket league god. If the game makes you get angry or frustrated, just take a break. It's a wickedly fun game to be enjoyed. This post was ridiculously long and I hope you find it helpful.

I can't get over how angry people get playing this game. I've been playing for the last hour or so and its just wall to wall cretinous little sh1ts.
    If I turn chat off do the commands like "Defending" "Take the shot" etc. still function?

I can't get over how angry people get playing this game. I've been playing for the last hour or so and its just wall to wall cretinous little sh1ts.
    If I turn chat off do the commands like "Defending" "Take the shot" etc. still function?

No they don't but odds are the cretins are going to ignore that stuff that anyway. Whoever's being toxic just mute their name and keep chat open to the others. Solo standard in particular you'll get one dipsht every now and again. Mute him but keep the lines of communications open with your other teammates.

If you want to mute mic stuff you can select to have in game mic audio muted in the game audio settings.. That's not going to stop vile text appearing tho.

Turtwig wrote: »
    No they don't but odds are the cretins are going to ignore that stuff that anyway. Whoever's being toxic just mute their name and keep chat open to the others. Solo standard in particular you'll get one dipsht every now and again. Mute him but keep the lines of communications open with your other teammates.

If you want to mute mic stuff you can select to have in game mic audio muted in the game audio settings.. That's not going to stop vile text appearing tho.

Most of it hasn't been directed at me, just sick of every game turning into a bitch fest.

Just had one guy totally mess up a clearance and pass it straight to opposition who scores, it was virtually impossible to save, passed me before I knew what was happening but I get "what a save" "fùcking master?"
    He set the guy up!!!
    Just after that he scores an OG and pretends he meant it, "3 v 1 now"
    Absolute bellend :rolleyes:

Really fed up with people blaming everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It could be just me but the most toxic players always seem to be french or spanish or the ones with mics at least. Havent had a toxic english speaking or german speaking in a game with me that i can remember.

Some people get really really pissed when I demo them. Apparently if you score in 1 v1s after demoing it's "cheating". :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

quite possibly a silly question, but what is demo'ing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Demolition. Crashing into an opponent at the height of a boost and destroying them.

• Advertisement

You don't need to be boosting. You just need to be at supersonic speed. 3 forward dodges/flips and you'll be supersonic too. In fact, there's nothing sweeter than being sub-supersonic and then flipping into your opponent and demoing them because that flip made you go supersonic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Is their any teams on here for this?

I'd prefer that then playing with randoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Is love a few team games. I had asked for a boards league but it got nowhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

RossieMan wrote: »
    Is love a few team games. I had asked for a boards league but it got nowhere.

Lots of us playing. Some of us are part of the Boards.ie Steam group and so see each other when we're on-line (PC only? no idea...)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Ponster wrote: »
    Lots of us playing. Some of us are part of the Boards.ie Steam group and so see each other when we're on-line (PC only? no idea...)

I'm on PS4 so that won't work sadly.

The ice hockey is good craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Started playing on PS4 and it's great fun!
    It's also one of the few multiplayer games were i get decent ping :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Burkie7 wrote: »
    I'm on PS4 so that won't work sadly.

Is it not cross platform with Steam?

The ice hockey is good craic :)

It is, I'd love it though if cars had less friction on the ice and slid around the place.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    It is, I'd love it though if cars had less friction on the ice and slid around the place.

Yep, would make it even better. It doesn't look right being able to stop so suddenly.
    I played it for a couple of hours and enjoyed it but it took me a while to get used to regular old 2v2 afterwards. I was all over the place for a while.

Advertisement