Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSA: Watch out for WhatsApp Scams and Phishing

• 07-07-2015 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭

It would appear that scammers and spammers have upped the ante and are using WhatsApp for dodgy links, get-rich websites, and other nefarious activities. I've spoken to four people today, two of which aren't in my address book and haven't my number, who have received group messages.

It works like this: obviously a robot or automated programme is either (a) sourcing numbers, or, (b) guessing them (most likely), adding them to group chats, and then removing them instantaneously. Therefore, a message is sent to the user and they see it straight away. The texts are being sent from a Chinese number. This is either because it looks like an Irish '086' number, or because it is by sheer coincidence.

Here's an example of the text that I just received.
    I've hidden some numbers as they relate to myself and possibly other Irish users.

WlQu9r6l.png

Now, there's no way to block or report group messages as Spam on WhatsApp (unlike contacts), so this can't be blocked, as such. There's not even an option within the app of receiving messages only from contacts. Essentially, you're stuck.

While I've been writing this, I searched @replies on Twitter, and I can see that others are having the same issue, including in the UK. The messages vary, but they are all unwanted and have undesirable links. Mostly for 'how to make money at home'. Unless you're looking for career advice, this is an unwanted message.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%40whatsapp&src=typd&vertical=default&f=tweets

This is just a warning not to visit any websites or links, and to delete the group message straight away. With WhatsApp messaging being without cost, it is no wonder why scammers are starting to use it. Without a doubt, delete it. And sadly, I'm sure that this won't go away for a while. Let's see if Facebook and WhatsApp get on the ball and fix this ASAP.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah I received one of those group messages this morning. I just deleted it straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thanks for sharing your feedback on this. Naturally, most people would delete it or are techy-savvy (otherwise they wouldn't necessarily be on this forum), but it is something that people should inform others about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

One of those group messages was on my Viber app this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WebDude

The texts are being sent from a Chinese number.
    I'm in the UK. The first few of these all had USA +1 (xxx) xxx xxxx numbers as the sender (and based on time, it would be sometime about 04:00 there) but did show +86 xxxx numbers, so maybe mine was randomly added to a list of numbers in China.

I suppose there's a chance that there's a virus which allows someone to put a script on a PC in USA which is using the web.whatsapp.com browser facility, so they can channel messages to hundreds of victims from a zombie PC - the person who actually owns the number from which the message purports (or actually) comes. Might be gangs in China buying numbers / hacking USA databases, too.
    This is just a warning not to visit any websites or links, and to delete the group message straight away. ...

And sadly, I'm sure that this won't go away for a while. Let's see if Facebook and WhatsApp get on the ball and fix this ASAP.

While I can understand your suggestion to delete the message straight away, I'd actually suggest people get a screenshot first, so they have proof of this abuse.

Then I'd suggest people go to their app store (I'm using Android, so it has a voting option) and submit a vote of 1 - Hate it! - and explain that they were added without their knowledge or approval to then receive SPAM. In the case of Google Play Store, App developers are expected to check feedback within a few days.

It should be a relatively easy task for FB/WhatsApp to add a control which lets the user (recipient) control whether they can be added to Groups. Just needs a simple 'radio button' interface:

Can you be added to a Group
    o Yes
    o only by contacts I know
    o ask me first
    * No - Block all requests <= default should be Block !

In other words, users could either block all attempts without being asked, allow friends/ existing contacts (and only get spam if they get a virus, perhaps), or be asked every time (almost as annoying as the spam) or allow all requests without asking (more fool you!)

If we start to downvote WhatsApp en masse, then unless they acknowledge problem and offer a fix, boycott it in a month or two, because they're possibly considering advertisers, and ignoring spammers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

This has been going on for months seems to come and go

• Advertisement
Advertisement