Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best commuting overshoes (big feet...)

Options
  • 07-07-2015 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

I've had a pair of these for around a year:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/bbb-water-flex-overshoes-bws03/rp-prod45050

And they have essentially fallen to absolute pieces by this stage. And are not longer water proof. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to keep the price down if at all possible. And waterproof is the only factor I'm concerned with.

I think a contributing factor is the shoes/size. I am currently wearing a pair of shimano mtb cycling boots, which are a size 48. I feel that even though I ordered the largest size overshoe, that the large size caused them to rip and tear prematurely. So an x-large size is a must really!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I use the Endura MT500 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-mt500-overshoes-ss15/rp-prod80217 They are specifically designed for SPD's but work fine with standard road cleats. Not the prettiest but they are the best I've tried yet. Like all overshoes, water will eventually get in if, like me, you don't use front mudguards and are being regularly splashed by passing traffic. I use XL with a 46 shoe so they may be fairly snug on a 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I use North Wave Husky overshoes

Can get them on chain reaction cycles also.

Great for a 20-30 minute commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I use the Endura MT500 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-mt500-overshoes-ss15/rp-prod80217 They are specifically designed for SPD's but work fine with standard road cleats. Not the prettiest but they are the best I've tried yet. Like all overshoes, water will eventually get in if, like me, you don't use front mudguards and are being regularly splashed by passing traffic. I use XL with a 46 shoe so they may be fairly snug on a 48.

Cheers WA, I had been looking at them alright and they are on top of my list, but sizing might be a concern! I'm not at all concerned with looks, I'm definitely not a pretty sight in my commuting gear, it makes it all the better in commuter racing though! :p

For me at least, the main thing is to try and keep the inside of the shoe as dry as possible, its a complete pain trying to dry them after the fact!

These are the shoes:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-mt53-mtb-spd-shoe-2014/rp-prod91463

Which are just large in every way. I might give the mt500 a go, not a huge loss of cash to be fair!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also have these BBB neoprene overshoes, also falling to bits after one winter. Specific points of failure are down to crank rub, and the toe section wearing out after having to walk for a bit on a rather muddy canal jaunt. Will give the Endura MT500 a go next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

For winter riding or even commuting in wet weather winter boots are great. Less time wasted with overshoes and if you get them in sales(like now) 3/4 pairs of overshoes is cost.

I've used them on audax to in May and didn't feel too hot in them.

Northwave, Gaerne among others do them. Bike discount or Rose would probably be best price. Think I paid 110ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..., the main thing is to try and keep the inside of the shoe as dry as possible, its a complete pain trying to dry them after the fact!..
    Do you stuff them with newspaper? It's great for drawing out the moisture. I always have a stack at work to use from.

Another tip is to use wollen socks as your feet will remain warm even when wet (probably not an issue on commutes but great if you're out all day). I get them in the camping/treking shops usually when they have a sale as you'll get them for half price (they're normally about €25 at full price). Look for the ones with 60% or 80% merino wool. I only wear them if using overshoes and fold them down to make them shorter. (They don't look right without overshoes!)
    smacl wrote: »
    ... and the toe section wearing out after having to walk for a bit on a rather muddy canal jaunt. Will give the Endura MT500 a go next time.
    I should have added that the Endura MT500 have a reinforced front almost like a wellington boot. My current pair show no sign of wear at the front after a year or so (just some wear on the underside of the left one from stopping at lights/junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

smacl wrote: »
    Also have these BBB neoprene overshoes, also falling to bits after one winter. Specific points of failure are down to crank rub, and the toe section wearing out after having to walk for a bit on a rather muddy canal jaunt. Will give the Endura MT500 a go next time.

Cheers for the heads up, was considering them too, but I'll knock them off my list now!

M500 is what I'll go with, i'll just wait for the larger size, as they come in XXL, chainreaction just dont have stock at the minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Cheers for the heads up, was considering them too, but I'll knock them off my list now!

M500 is what I'll go with, i'll just wait for the larger size, as they come in XXL, chainreaction just dont have stock at the minute!

You'll probably find the xxl never comes into stock,

Advertisement