Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Care degree...what now??

• 07-07-2015 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all, I've just completed my social care degree (Level 7) and have the option of an add on 4th year level 8. Most of the jobs at the moment seem to be all with residential young people, which I did my placement in and hated it. My query is this, firstly, is the 4th year really necessary or is it just a stepping stone towards a masters or whatever? Secondly, my area of preference is with the homeless / addiction area, so does anyone know if there are any courses that I could take in addiction studies, to advance my career. I am a mature student (45) so don't really want to spend 3 more years in college. I suppose what I want to know is, can I do a honours degree in addiction studies straight from level 7, or do I have to start at the bottom again? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 back2school

Hey there, I know you posted this AGES ago, but I am wondering what you did in the end? I am a mature student also and wondering the exact same thing!
    Totalelf wrote: »
    Hi all, I've just completed my social care degree (Level 7) and have the option of an add on 4th year level 8. Most of the jobs at the moment seem to be all with residential young people, which I did my placement in and hated it. My query is this, firstly, is the 4th year really necessary or is it just a stepping stone towards a masters or whatever? Secondly, my area of preference is with the homeless / addiction area, so does anyone know if there are any courses that I could take in addiction studies, to advance my career. I am a mature student (45) so don't really want to spend 3 more years in college. I suppose what I want to know is, can I do a honours degree in addiction studies straight from level 7, or do I have to start at the bottom again? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Blackbeauty66

Hiya.
    I am in the same position as you. I was wondering what what you did in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

https://www.ucc.ie/en/ace-hdfids/
    Faciliation of social inclusion disability.
    Apart from magement course fetac leve 6 from the open college there does not seem to much out there.

Advertisement