If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for current Sound System Philips HTS3020

Options
  • 07-07-2015 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

I am considering upgrading my sound system and have read some of your threads, always give great advice and customer care so hopefully you have a solution for me and we can do some business!!

I will give you an idea what I currently have, the restrictions I am having with it and what I am looking for

This is what I currently have as a surround sound system

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/HTS3020_05/5.1-home-theatre

There is great sound out of it but connectivity has fallen behind advances in technology

I have this TV:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue55h6400-review

I also have a PS4 and a titan 8 Android TV box, both of which I use as media players hooked up to the TV via HDMI, I do not have any other sky box or anything like that.

Because the Philips HTS3020 sound system is a bit old, there is no connectivity via HDMI, only SCART

I use the following adapter to get the surround sound working on PS4 and android box, however I have to plug one in and one out every time I switch

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KBHX072?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

In short, here are a list of shortfalls of my system

TV only works on surround sound via TV setting only (Saorview). None of the smart functions will work on surround sound

Have to unplug HDMI cables every time I want to change input device

Dog partly ate the remote which is on its last legs anyway and there is no functionality on the HTS3020 so when that remote gives up, I will have to replace that anyway

So, what I am looking for is an "always on" sound system, that will pick up all my devices automatically as I use them without unplugging/replugging etc, I don't mind changing source etc on a remote but climbing behind cabinet doing wiring is what I want to get away from

I like the idea of a surround system more than a sound bar (but maybe thats because rightly or wrongly I have no experience of them and love the sound my current system gives) but would be open to a sound bar if it can give the same sound experience, perhaps with a bluetooth subwoofer away from the sound bar closer to couch to give the big bass feeling

So, could you provide a couple of options for me, perhaps a sound bar, a newer 5.1 system (as wireless as possible!)

Sound quality and power would need to be at least on a par with current system (probably not very difficult now as my system is a bit old!)

Thanks for reading long post but just want to get this right, look forward to hearing from you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Sorry, meant to say I want to keep the budget below £200 as I am only upgrading from a relatively decent system, not starting from scratch so I do not want to spend a huge amount. Thanks again

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

bmwguy wrote: »
    Sorry, meant to say I want to keep the budget below £200 as I am only upgrading from a relatively decent system, not starting from scratch so I do not want to spend a huge amount. Thanks again
    Hi Bmwguy.

Best option if you could stretch the budget would be the Pioneer HTPS072 5.1 pack priced at £249.95 / 369.99 Euro (Full 5.1 speaker pack and AV receiver)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12347-htp072.aspx

I think the speaker that the philips have run only little connections? In theroy if you want to try and use these you could cut the ends off for the amplifier and use the bare copper strands to connect them. However I would say the sub you have also runs on speaker cable and has on power supply, so this would need replaced as AV receivers run an active sub rather than a passive.

If you wanted to try and use your own speakers you could look at the Yamaha RXV377 priced at £169.00 / 259.99 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200458-rxv377.aspx

Or the NEW Denon AVRX520 coming in at top of budget priced at £199.95 / 279.99 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201463-avrx520bt.aspx

On the wireless side of things, to really something we do when it comes to wireless homecinema speakers unfortunately.

To get a soundbar with enough HDMI's you would be over the £200 budget as most up to £400 - £500 run optical or only have one HDMI input which would mean still having to disconnect cables to switch sources.
    I saying that you screen will have an optical out so you could connect al sources to the screen and run optical to a soundbar. You would lose out on HD audio this way.

Let me know what you think.

Any questions just ask :)

Hi Bmwguy.

Best option if you could stretch the budget would be the Pioneer HTPS072 5.1 pack priced at £249.95 / 369.99 Euro (Full 5.1 speaker pack and AV receiver)

I think the speaker that the philips have run only little connections? In theroy if you want to try and use these you could cut the ends off for the amplifier and use the bare copper strands to connect them. However I would say the sub you have also runs on speaker cable and has on power supply, so this would need replaced as AV receivers run an active sub rather than a passive.

If you wanted to try and use your own speakers you could look at the Yamaha RXV377 priced at £169.00 / 259.99 Euro

Or the NEW Denon AVRX520 coming in at top of budget priced at £199.95 / 279.99 Euro

On the wireless side of things, to really something we do when it comes to wireless homecinema speakers unfortunately.

To get a soundbar with enough HDMI's you would be over the £200 budget as most up to £400 - £500 run optical or only have one HDMI input which would mean still having to disconnect cables to switch sources.
    I saying that you screen will have an optical out so you could connect al sources to the screen and run optical to a soundbar. You would lose out on HD audio this way.

Thanks, plenty to think about there, some of those look good, particularly interested in the Yamaha which looks excellent value.

My current speakers and sub are all on speaker cable and are powered from the HTS3020, there are no seperate power supplies. 
    The cables are colour coded corresponding to ports on the back of the HTS3020, Front centre, front left, back right etc...

Could the current speakers be used in this unit?

I do like the positioning of my speakers at the moment as the cables are running under floors, down walls, behind skirting etc. and really fit and fill the room with sound. It was done when the house was a bare shell but would not fancy undoing it or tring to do it again to be honest!

OK, just a couple more questions but I am definitely interested

1) How would I connect my current 5:1 speaker set to this unit? I can cut the ends of the speakers but how would I reconnect?

2) No matter what is playing on the TV, will this unit take control of the sound? i.e replace the sound on the TV. This is where my current unit falls short. The sources I would need sound from are the TV itself (both on saorview aerial and smart hub apps, i.e. Netflix), Android box and PS4. Can I just have these machines connected to the TV and the sound will work ?

3) Do I have to connect every device to both the TV and the Yamaha system or just every device to the TV?

Hi Bmwguy.

Thanks, plenty to think about there, some of those look good, particularly interested in the Yamaha which looks excellent value.

My current speakers and sub are all on speaker cable and are powered from the HTS3020, there are no seperate power supplies. 
    The cables are colour coded corresponding to ports on the back of the HTS3020, Front centre, front left, back right etc...

Could the current speakers be used in this unit?

I do like the positioning of my speakers at the moment as the cables are running under floors, down walls, behind skirting etc. and really fit and fill the room with sound. It was done when the house was a bare shell but would not fancy undoing it or tring to do it again to be honest!

OK, just a couple more questions but I am definitely interested

1) How would I connect my current 5:1 speaker set to this unit? I can cut the ends of the speakers but how would I reconnect?

2) No matter what is playing on the TV, will this unit take control of the sound? i.e replace the sound on the TV. This is where my current unit falls short. The sources I would need sound from are the TV itself (both on saorview aerial and smart hub apps, i.e. Netflix), Android box and PS4. Can I just have these machines connected to the TV and the sound will work ?

3) Do I have to connect every device to both the TV and the Yamaha system or just every device to the TV?
    Hi Bmwguy.

You could cut the ends off the speakers and strip back the sleeve and use the copper wiring as normal.
    Keep the ends at the speaker the same. (Always keep the other ends you have cut off, you never know when they may be needed again)!.
    The subwoofer will not 100% work as the Yamaha (Plus all other A/V Receivers that we sell) run on an active sub and connects via a single phono cable rather than speaker cable.
    In saying that you can connect your sub to front left or right along with that speaker and this will product the same bass in the sub as the front speakers. Not ideal but could do until you upgraded the subwoofer.

There are two ways you could go about connecting things up.
    1. connect everything to the TV and then use the ARC function on your screens HDMI input. This will carry the sound and audio to the receiver.

2. Connect all your sources to the receiver and one HDMI to the TV. Again if you use the ARC connections between amp and screen you will be able to send your audio from your Saorview on the TV to the receiver also. This is the way I would wire it up to get the best from the system.

Either way you do this you will only have HDMI between screen and receiver. You will be able to turn the volume on the TV to 0 and use the amp remote for all audio.

I hope this helps a little.

Any questions please let me know.

Thanks Kenny, yes I was thinking the second option for connecting alright it makes more sense to me. I am close to making a purchase here, one last question, I am new to this! When I remove the connections from the end of the speaker cables, they will obviously just have cut end on them where they normally had connectors to plug into my current Philips HTS unit. I will then need some sort of connection to the Yamaha unit. How do I achieve this? If I get a good answer here my next questions will be do you take credit cards and how quickly can you get it delivered to Dublin!

• Advertisement

Thanks Kenny, yes I was thinking the second option for connecting alright it makes more sense to me. I am close to making a purchase here, one last question, I am new to this! When I remove the connections from the end of the speaker cables, they will obviously just have cut end on them where they normally had connectors to plug into my current Philips HTS unit. I will then need some sort of connection to the Yamaha unit. How do I achieve this? If I get a  good answer here my next questions will be do you take credit cards and how quickly can you get it delivered to Dublin!
    Hi bmwguy, the rear of the Yamaha looks something like this

The center and rear speaker connections are spring clip connectors, you simply press then and insert the cable.  The fronts are binding posts these unscrew you pass the cable threw the hole that is reveled then tighten the post down again.  No extra connectors,  doohickeys, thingamajigs or whatchamacallit's required

Regards Stephen

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.