Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coole Park - Destruction of Trees

Options
  • 07-07-2015 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

I was in Coole Park (outside Gort) last week - first time in about 12 months. Dismayed to see the large scale slaughter of trees, in much of the park.

Anybody know what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

The trees were cut down a few months back. They were riddled with disease and had to be felled in order to stop the spread of disease to other trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Sofa King wrote: »
    The trees were cut down a few months back. They were riddled with disease and had to be felled in order to stop the spread of disease to other trees.

Really hope they can get on top of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I noticed this too. The huge trees that formed a fabulous shaded avenue near the toilet building are all gone too. They must have been hundreds of years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

They were also felling large parts if not all of the pine tree plantations. This is to allow for replanting of native woodland and bring back better habitats for wildlife etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I go for a walk there almost every day and even though the trees gone makes it look bare in parts the place is already starting to take shape again with the foliage starting to take over or cover the large areas that has been chopped down and tree stumps etc. It's something that had to be done but it's still a lovely place to go for a walk. Actually the nicest part or section of it to walk hasn't been touched at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

I will be doing a bit of a hike around galway and clare. is it possible to camp in coole park? (ps im a responsible camper)

Advertisement