Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krakow - Recommended places

• 07-07-2015 4:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi, I would like to recommend you a few nice places close to Krakow. You can google them if you want to know more. Everyone can find something interesting.

1. Wieliczka, old salt mine, 20km from Krakow.

Wikipedia - "The mine's attractions include dozens of statues and four chapels that have been carved out of the rock salt by the miners. The oldest sculptures are augmented by the new carvings by contemporary artists. About 1.2 million people visit the Wieliczka Salt Mine annually.The mine features an underground lake; and the new exhibits on the history of salt mining, as well as a 3.5 kilometres (2.2 mi) touring route (less than 2% of the length of the mine's passages) that includes historic statues and mythical figures carved out of rock salt in distant past. More recent sculptures have been fashioned by contemporary artists."

2. Auschwitz, Nazi concentration camp 40km from Krakow

Wikipedia - At least 1.1 million prisoners died at Auschwitz, around 90 percent of them Jewish; approximately 1 in 6 Jews killed in the Holocaust died at the camp.[1][2] Others deported to Auschwitz included 150,000 Poles, 23,000 Romani and Sinti, 15,000 Soviet prisoners of war, 400 Jehovah's Witnesses, homosexuals, and tens of thousands of people of diverse nationalities. Many of those not killed in the gas chambers died of starvation, forced labor, infectious diseases, individual executions, and medical experiments.

3. Zakopane, town in montains 80km from Krakow

Wikipedia - Zakopane is a center of Góral (highlanders) culture and is known informally as "the winter capital of Poland". It is a popular destination for mountaineering, skiing, and qualified tourism.

4. Energylandia, Lunapark 30km from Krakow

Their webside - EnergyLandia is the first full-fledged Amusement Park, which offers its Clients world class, highest quality services for all ages: children, teenagers and adults. Our Park is a place where parents do not need to watch their kids. Instead, they can enjoy their time playing together and spend it on a journey to the land of fairy tales and fantasy—the world of magical and incredible experiences.

This is just a few places. I'll post more soon, also feel free to add your favorites places.

Regards

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

School groups I brought over enjoyed Park Wodny - a couple of kms to the north east of the city.

By all reports, Lost Souls Alley on Florianska is a 'different' activity.

Other things worth a visit:
    Stary Kleparz market (north of the Barbican)
    Galeria Krakowska, if only just to window shop.
    Schindler's Factory
    Wedel's Chocolate Lounge

If you're any sort of a foodie, there is great value in the tasting menus in some of the high end hotels. In terms of what you get for fifty euro or so, you'd be paying hundreds in Dublin.
    My own favourite is Restauracja Pod Roza in the Hotel Pod Roza on Florianska.

So many nice things in Krakow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭newstyle

My favorite restaurant there is "Pod Wawelem" near Wawel Castle. Very good and not to expensive food and great climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭amber2

Going to zakopane in December would be great to hear of any recommendations anyone may have for things to see or do while we are there. Stayed briefly last December, loved it so much we are going back this year. Thanks for the thread BTW!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭newstyle

If you didn't see "Morskie oko - Eye of the Sea" lake between mountains, you should see it

morskie_oko.jpeg

I like restaurant "Bąkowa Zohylina - Wyźnio"

restauracja-zakopane-bakowa-2.jpg

I love their buildings, for those who don't know Zakopane posting few pics

8151333_zakopane.jpg

imageforzakopane11.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_zakopane%20manor%202.jpg

1574885_zakopane-restauracja-.jpg

134-zakopane-restauracjadw-r-lebody.jpg

zima_e9ecbcb6f2b02dd1341b98a7cf5d5663.jpg

Advertisement