Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ESB Connection

Options
  • 07-07-2015 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭

When making a new esb connection what works fall under the remit of the esb?

To try and explain what I am asking is basically what do i need to do?

I have the esb box in place and hockey stick etc. Whose responsibility is it to put the channel in place from the esb box to the pole (very short distance actually less than 20 metres)?

What is the order of works etc?

Any guidance appreciated.

I am making the application this week and just want to know what to expect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

You need to install the 50mm red duct from the pole to meter box and rope it. Next make your application and pay money. You now need to select your supplier and register with them. At this stage your mprn no. is valid. Give this number to your electrical contractor who can issue cert when he has the house tested. Confirm with ESB Networks that all ducts are in and rope installed. Allow 10 days for connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭893bet

beanie10 wrote: »
    You need to install the 50mm red duct from the pole to meter box and rope it. Next make your application and pay money. You now need to select your supplier and register with them. At this stage your mprn no. is valid. Give this number to your electrical contractor who can issue cert when he has the house tested. Confirm with ESB Networks that all ducts are in and rope installed. Allow 10 days for connection.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭086lavey

893bet wrote: »
    Thanks!

Any thing up to 12 weeks for connection ,

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

beanie10 wrote: »

I'm at this point myself.

Even with the pole being 20m I wouldn't have thought it automatically meant it was the one to connect to. If you are looking for enhanced supply for the likes of a geo heat pump, you need to be within a certain distance of a transformer I believe. There might be a transformer feeding a different line close by, but not necessarily the pole nearest you.

If the pole is not close by, the diameter of the ducting required can change to 100mm. This to allow less restriction when pulling the elec cable over a longer distance.

When I applied I was left with a clear understanding that even though I wanted to connect to a pole at the edge of my site, that they'd have to survey and see if it was appropriate.
    BTW; I'm 58m from pole and was told 50mm ducting would be fine.

EDIT:
    See this: http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/single_house.jsp
    Step 6 is when they inform you re. appropriate ducting etc...which comes after your application is submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭893bet

Thanks all! Should have sent the form off months ago!

• Advertisement
Advertisement