Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Technician

Options
  • 07-07-2015 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there
    I am just considering doing the online programme with ATI year one. I would like to do all four modules so to qualify ASAP. However I did not do accounting for the leaving cert and do not work in an accounting environment and worry that I will be lost. I've been at home ten years raising my kids and so this is kind of out of my comfort zone but I feel I'm ready to get back out there. I am not hugely numbers orientated (was more into English and history at school) but am thinking practically and what will lead to a job.
    Any info would be so appreciated before I take the plunge! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

Bump, also interested in feedback about this course and people who completed it, how they found getting work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I completed the course a few years ago tbh if you don't work in the industry is it is a waste of money.

You need to get work experience in a parts of the course to qualify. I work in finance but am unable to get experience in most of the required areas and if I was to leave my current role and move into a trainee accounting technician role, I would be taking approx. 20k paycut

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

John Mason wrote: »
    I completed the course a few years ago tbh if you don't work in the industry is it is a waste of money.

You need to get work experience in a parts of the course to qualify. I work in finance but am unable to get experience in most of the required areas and if I was to leave my current role and move into a trainee accounting technician role, I would be taking approx. 20k paycut

Hi John,
    Thanks for your reply. Is the work experience required after year 1. I got a detailed email about the course today and there was no mention of work experience for the 1 year Cert.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Foxylocks

I've just finished year 1. There is no work experience until year 2. Its a very demanding course but I've enjoyed year 1. I work full time and I don't the course part time in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4Marie

It's a money making scam for a course if your going to do it be sure to stay on top of everything. You register with professional body which costs and then keep having to fork out for seminars and exams you have to get more than 50% to pass an exam.
    The accounting and tax exams are really hard . If you don't stay on top of things the course runs away with out you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Foxylocks

4Marie wrote: »
    It's a money making scam for a course if your going to do it be sure to stay on top of everything. You register with professional body which costs and then keep having to fork out for seminars and exams you have to get more than 50% to pass an exam.
    The accounting and tax exams are really hard . If you don't stay on top of things the course runs away with out you

100% agree with this and I don't think its worth it. The books are good but a lot of lecturers use their own slides and rarely refer to the book, total waste of money for them.
    Recently found out that when you've completed your work experience assessment, you've to pay another €150 on top of everything else you paid just to have your assessment accessed!?! the mind boggles.
    If I new then what I knew now, most likely I wouldn't have done it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 t....d

Hi, did you do the course online. I am considering doing it, I am meeting up with the online manager from ATI this week to go through things.

NikkiMc wrote: »
    Hi there
    I am just considering doing the online programme with ATI year one. I would like to do all four modules so to qualify ASAP. However I did not do accounting for the leaving cert and do not work in an accounting environment and worry that I will be lost. I've been at home ten years raising my kids and so this is kind of out of my comfort zone but I feel I'm ready to get back out there. I am not hugely numbers orientated (was more into English and history at school) but am thinking practically and what will lead to a job.
    Any info would be so appreciated before I take the plunge! :)

Hi, did you do the course online. I am considering doing it, I am meeting up with the online manager from ATI this week to go through things.

Advertisement