Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to fit it all in.....

Options
  • 07-07-2015 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Continuation of my previous log, From Cardio to Weights. Had my 5th child on the 9th June. Had extreme vomiting throughout the pregnancy, was extremely tough mentally and physically. But had a fabulous drug free birth, gave birth to a 9lber and recovery has been great since. Read up a lot on when it was safe to return to exercise, and the general consensus was to listen to your body and do what's right for you. With that in mind, I returned Camogie training last Thursday evening, 2nd July. Went great, didn't push myself too hard and I sat out of any drills that involved sprinting.

My weight before I got pregnant was 65kg, weight now is 75kg. Would like to be 65kg again around Christmas.

Monday 6th July
    1st night back at the gym. Had no plan in mind. Just wanted to see what I was in the humour of.

Warm-Up Deadlifts
    50kg x 5 sets of 8

Deadlifts
    70kg x 3 sets of 5

20metre Prowler Pushes

30kg
    60kg
    90kg
    120kg
    120kg
    90kg
    60kg
    30kg

Then 4 more 60kg Prowler Push superset with 30metre farmers walk with
    10kg sandbags.

Didn't push myself time wise for any of the exercises, took long breaks when I needed them and just enjoyed being back. Going to have to come up with some plan of action for the next couple months. Might look back at my old programs and just repeat some of the earlier ones. Finding time to fit in the 3 sessions will be tough, as well as Camogie twice a week.

Comments

Yay congrats :D glad you're back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If I'd a log title like that, it'd be about a trip to Aussie BBQ....

4 weeks after a baby as well. Some woman for one woman

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Thursday 9th July

Camogie Training.

Friday 10th July

Conditioning

20metre Prowler Push
    30kg, 60, 90, 120, 120, 90, 60, 30.

Superset with 30 metres farmers walks w/15kg sandbags and 30 metre runs.

Strength
    Again, had no plan going over. Just knew I was going to tackle the bench.
    Lay on bench, picked up bar...forgot how frickin' heavy the bar on its own was :)
    Bar x 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.

There was no 1.25 or 2.5 plates available, and there was no way I was going to start on 30kg. So stayed with the bar and just really concentrated on form and breathing. Bench is the one area I really want to improve on so going to go back to Hanleys program 1 day a week for bench.

Pulley Cable Row
    25kg x 5 sets 10

Lat Pulldown
    30kg x 5 sets 10.

Going to try get over and squat tomorrow. Bit nervous about it as my knee has been fine as I wasn't playing Camogie the past 8 months and was only doing box squats while pregnant. Will wear my knee sleeves and keep it light to begin with.

Also read this good article:
    http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/my-post-pregnancy-crossfit-comeback

Going to try keep it in mind for the next 6 months cause I am definitely one of those fools who thinks I can come back at the same level I was at before I got pregnant. But if I can get back to where I was by next Summer, I'll be happy. Have to remind myself that I'm no spring chicken either.

Monday 13th July

Conditioning (Will add to conditioning after my 6 week checkup with box jumps)

20metre Prowler Push
    30kg, 60, 90, 120, 120, 90, 60, 30.

Superset with 30 metres farmers walks w/15kg sandbags and 30 metre runs.

Strength
    Squats

First time squatting with no box in over 9 months.

Bar x 10
    25kg x 8
    27.5kg x 6
    30kg x 6
    35kg x 5 sets 5

Even though I was in front of a mirror, I couldn't say for definite how my form was. Knees were definitely behind my toes, and managed to keep both knees out, which used to be a problem. But felt I was leaning too far forward so didn't want to up the weight. Might have to record it and get an opinion. Felt all these pangs of "something" that I was only doing 35kg. Disappointment probably. But I'm prepared to have mixed emotions about what I can and can't do, so I'm over it now :)

Was going to superset the squats with glute bridges, did one set of 10 and my pelvic region said No more. Will do good mornings next time.

Went to a nutrition seminar last week with Danny Lennon, Sigma Nutrition.
    Found it really helpful. Would love to "clean" up the nutrition side of things. Wouldnt be into tracking macros or anything but I have a good idea of what I need to do. Lack of sleep will be my biggest obstacle here. Even taking the new baby out of the equation, I've averaged between 4-6 hours sleep a night for the last 3 years. And when I'm tired and slumpy during the day, I make terrible food choices. But I'll give it a try. That's tonight's essay concluded.....

Suffering lamb of Jaysus, all the DOMS, all the struggling upstairs, downstairs, walking, sitting down, standing up etc etc.

Wednesday 15th

Conditioning

Prowler

20metre push.

Warmup
    30, 60, 90kg

Then 120kg x 8
    Superset with 15m run, 30m Farmers Walks, 15m run.

(Last 4 pushes were 180kg on the push back on the high bars)
    Delighted with that. Salt n Pepa told me to Push It so I did.

Strength

Deadlifts

50kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 4
    80kg x 3 sets 3

No time for anything else. Had an hour, did what I could.

• Advertisement

Friday 17th

Conditioning

Prowler Push 20m
    30kg
    60kg
    90kg
    120kg x 8

Superset with
    15m run
    30m Farmers Walk w/15kg sandbags
    15m run
    Step Ups onto high box w/15 kg sandbag on shoulders 5 each leg.

Prowler Push 10m High Bars

150kg x 2
    180kg x 6
    200kg x 2

Strength

Squats (Should have been bench, and squats next Monday. But have Camogie training on Tuesday so had to switch them around)

Bar x 10
    22.5 x 8
    25 x 6
    27.5 x 6
    30 x 6
    32.5 x 6
    35 x 3
    37.5 x 3
    40 x 3
    42.5 x 3
    45 x 3
    47.5 x 3

Trying to post a video of last set, hopefully someone can assess my form. Keep getting error messages, will try again later.

No accessory work done again because of time constraints. Think this is how it's going to be til September, so will just wing it til then.

Monday 20th So feckin' tired going over, and it showed. Not to worry, Wednesday will be better.

Conditioning

Prowler Push 20m
    30kg
    60kg
    90kg
    120kg x 4

Superset with
    15m run
    15m run

150kg x 2
    180kg x 2
    200kg x 1

Strength

Bench
    Bar x 10
    22.5 x 8
    25 x 6
    27.5 x 5 sets 8

Single-Arm Row
    10kg DB x 12 e/s x 3 sets

Skulls
    12.5kg x 12 x 3 sets

Close Grip Bench
    22.5kg x 8, 8 and a shocking 5...all the sadness. Couldn't even rack the fifth!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Savage work, Nina - and congrats on sprog #5 ya horny mare.... quick question though - is there a reason you do your Conditioning work before your Strength work? I had always thought it was recommended to do your strength work first...

I'm quite sure it's meant to be strength work before the conditioning, but I find if I do the strength first I'm just wrecked and my muscles are fatigued. Wheras when I do the conditioning first, it gets my heart rate up and adrenalin pumping and I feel better able to do the strength stuff. When I get back down to my target weight I might swap it around, but for now the weight-loss is as important as regaining strength. Add in the fact if I do the conditioning before I come home I've all that adrenaline racing around.....baby 6 could be a possibility ha, ha.

ninamc wrote: »
    I'm quite sure it's meant to be strength work before the conditioning, but I find if I do the strength first I'm just wrecked and my muscles are fatigued. Wheras when I do the conditioning first, it gets my heart rate up and adrenalin pumping and I feel better able to do the strength stuff. When I get back down to my target weight I might swap it around, but for now the weight-loss is as important as regaining strength.

I can actually completely relate there. I'm fond of an odd spinning class before a weights session which, in theory should fatigue me and sap some strength, but oftentimes I feel it gets the blood flowing and leads to a great Strength session...
    Add in the fact if I do the conditioning before I come home I've all that adrenaline racing around...... baby 6 could be a possibility ha, ha

Jesus wept... :D

I'm reminded of Phoebe's brother Frank in Friends when he finds out his wife is pregant with triplets... "I FINALLY HAVE MY BAND!!"

• Advertisement

Wednesday 22nd

Conditioning

Prowler Push 20m
    30kg
    60kg
    90kg
    120kg x 3

First 3 rounds were superset with
    15m run
    15m run
    Step-ups with 15kg Sandbag 5 each leg
    Renegade Rows 8kg DB 8 each arm

150kg x 3
    180kg x 2
    200kg x 1

Strength

Deadlift

40kg x 10
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 4
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 1+1+1
    100kg x 1+1

Just wanted to see where the strength lay on the deadlifts. Seems as the bench and squat are miserable as sin. Wills stick at a 100 until I can do a comfortable 3x3. Was a good evening overall.

Thursday 23rd

Camogie cancelled this evening, so got the squats done as want to take my teenager out for dinner tomorrow night. So worked out well.

Conditioning

Prowler Push 20m
    30kg
    60kg
    90kg
    120kg x 4

First 3 Superset with
    15m run
    15m run
    5 step-ups each leg w/15kg sandbag

150kg x 2
    180kg x 2
    200kg x 1

Squats

Bar x 10
    30kg x 10
    40kg x 8
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 3 sets 5

No accessory work done again :( Was lucky they didn't lock me in.

Normally I don't notice who does what in the gym, too busy trying to get my stuff done. BUT tonight, there was a fella doing mad, mad stuff. Handstands against a wall but only on 2 fingertips. Then these strange looking hops on the astro balancing on his toes. Im sure my face was a mixture of admiration and confusion. Mad bananas altogether.

Monday 27th

Conditioning

Prowler Push 20m
    30kg
    60kg
    90kg
    120kg x 2

Superset with
    15m run
    15m run

150kg x 2
    180kg x 2

Strength

Bench
    Bar x 10
    22.5 x 8
    25 x 6
    27.5 x 4
    30 x 5 sets 6

*Noticed on the bench, my hip flexors are in a jocker. When I try put my feet back as far as possible get awful pain in the 2 sides. Primarily the right, but the two of them need work. Will check out some You Tube videos, see what I can do. Surprised it never came up on squats or deads, bench was the last thing I was expecting it to hurt.

Single-Arm Row
    12.5kg DB x 12 e/s x 3 sets

Skulls
    12.5kg x 12 x 3 sets.

In and out in hour. Miss the days where I had the luxury of a steam and a jacuzzi :)

Monday 27th

Conditioning

Prowler Push 20m
    30kg
    60kg
    90kg
    120kg x 2

Superset with
    15m run
    15m run

150kg x 2
    180kg x 2

Strength

Bench
    Bar x 10
    22.5 x 8
    25 x 6
    27.5 x 4
    30 x 5 sets 6

*Noticed on the bench, my hip flexors are in a jocker. When I try put my feet back as far as possible get awful pain in the 2 sides. Primarily the right, but the two of them need work. Will check out some You Tube videos, see what I can do. Surprised it never came up on squats or deads, bench was the last thing I was expecting it to hurt.

Single-Arm Row
    12.5kg DB x 12 e/s x 3 sets

Skulls
    12.5kg x 12 x 3 sets.

In and out in hour. Miss the days where I had the luxury of a steam and a jacuzzi :)

... back when ye only had the four kids like :D :pac::p

Wednesday 29th

Conditioning

Prowler Push 20m
    60kg
    90kg
    120kg x 4

Superset with
    15m run
    15m run

150kg x 1
    180kg x 1
    200kg x 2

Strength

Deadlifts
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 4
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 1 x 7
    100kg x 2
    *Wanted to get 100 x 9 one way or another. Think I'll be another 4 weeks or so before I'll be able for 3x3.

Feel a bit like a rudderless ship without a program, but there's no point in starting something when I only like to leave the baby for an hour at a time, and We'll be on holidays for 2 weeks in August. Hopefully in September, things will have settled and I can progress a bit.

Went to fill my water bottle at the fountain, guy in front of me farted and left. He must be on a 500gm a day protein diet. It was vile. Of course 2 guys joined the queue behind me and I can only presume they thought it was me. Didn't kniw whether to protest my innocence or just leg it. So me and my red face just legged it. Gym dilemmas :)

Thursday 30th

Camogie training. First time doing sprints in months. Lungs collapsed at one stage I think. Was a great session.

Was meant to go the gym on Friday night for squats. Brought the kids swimming in the afternoon, and after 20 laps of the lazy river in the squat position with a 4 year old clinging to my neck and dragging the 6 year old round by the arm...it just wasn't gonna happen.

Sunday 2nd August

Knew I would have to get squats and bench done this morn as not a hope of me getting over tomorrow.

Conditioning as normal

Strength

Bench
    Bar x 10
    22.5 x 10
    25 x 8
    27.5 x 6
    30 x 5 sets 5 (This should have been 32.5, didnt realise til I got home)

Squats
    Bar x 10
    25 x 10
    30 x 5
    35 x 5
    40 x 3
    45 x 3
    50 x 3 sets 5 (Should have gone up to 55)

Still pissed off that everything feels so frickin' heavy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Wednesday 29th

150kg x 1
    180kg x 1
    200kg x 2

:eek: pushing 200kg.... damn

JJayoo wrote: »
    :eek: pushing 200kg.... damn

Thanks, its about the only thing that has remained the same weight-wise since I had the baby. Everything else is a fierce struggle :)

Tuesday 4th August

Camogie training. Baby was 8 weeks yesterday so went full throttle in training. By Jaysis did I feel it today. Different kind of pain to weight training DOMs, its like an overall body weariness/fatigue. Absolutely draining. Had to really dig deep and convince meself to hit the gym tonight which is definitely not like me. Back playing matches in 2 weeks, half dreading it.

Wednesday 5th August

Conditioning - as normal

Strength

Deadlifts
    40 x 10
    50 x 8
    60 x 6
    70 x 3
    80 x 3
    90 x 3
    100 x 1
    100 x 2
    100 x 2
    100 x 2
    100 x 3 :) Delighted with that. On course for 100 x 3 x 3 at the end of the month. Lifted my ****ty mood completely. Amazing what a barbell, some chalk and some headphones can do...

Brought the kids away for a week, at the time it was a good idea to book all inclusive. Now we're home and I'm actually 3kgs heavier, it wasnt such a good idea :) Not to worry, no better day than a Monday to get the proverbial together. Went the gym on Saturday, caught up with bench and squats.

Saturday 15th

Conditioning as normal, but went up to 210kg on the high bars. Just for one 10m push, but still. Think I'll be able for 225 by Christmas.

Bench

Bar x 10
    22.5 x 8
    25 x 6
    27.5 x 3
    30 x 3
    32.5 x 5 sets 4

Squats

Bar x 10
    25 x 8
    30 x 6
    35 x 3
    40 x 3
    45 x 3
    50 x 3
    55 x 5 sets 5

Will go over this evening for deadlifts and hopefully fit in a bit of accessory work. Going down the country from Wednesday to Sunday, so will miss another session or 2. Bought a 10kg Kettlebell, so will bring that with me and try to fit in a few metcons. Been looking at Transforms FB page and got some good ideas from that. Need to start focusing more on weight-loss now. Ugh, the thoughts of it...

Monday 17th August

Conditioning - as normal

Deadlifts

50kg x 10
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 2
    100kg x 2
    100kg x 1

And seriously just couldn't lift any more, thought of stepping back to do 3x3 at 90kg but decided to come home and have cuddles with my baby instead. Tomorrow is a new day :)

• Advertisement

Just had an essay typed out and lost the whole damn thing. In short, was sick all week, didn't do a tap of exercise. Joining a Crossfit box next week, as have no training partner in the gym anymore (she moved away) and reckon I only have one season left playing Camogie. Looking forward to it, but dreading the gymnastic element of it.

Wednesday 26th August

Prowler
    60kg x 20m
    90kg x 20m
    120kg x 20m

120kg x 10m
    150kg x 10m - high bars

120kg x 10m
    180kg x 10m

120kg x 10m
    210kg x 10m

120kg x 10m
    220kg x 10m - happy out.

All above super set with
    15m Farmer Walk w/15kg sandbags
    30m sprint
    15m Farmer Walk w/15kg sandbags

5 rounds of
    24' Box Jump x 5
    superset with 50kg Deadlift x 5 (used these as warmup for DL)

Deadlift
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    90kg x 3

all superset with
    Step-ups onto 24' box with 15kg sandbag on shoulders. 5 each leg.

Great session over all considering I hadn't done a thing all week. Also had no music with me, what complete drivel they play over the inhouse speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Just had an essay typed out and lost the whole damn thing. In short, was sick all week, didn't do a tap of exercise. Joining a Crossfit box next week, as have no training partner in the gym anymore (she moved away) and reckon I only have one season left playing Camogie. Looking forward to it, but dreading the gymnastic element of it.

Best of luck with the crossfit. I have to admit I am loving it at the moment. :) Don't stress about the gymnastics side of it. It will take time but its very enjoyable.

Thursday 27th August

Camogie Training. Was really expecting my sprints to start improving by now. Baby is 12 weeks this week. Feel like I have lost every iota of speed I ever had. One thing I always had going for me was my ability to run fast over short distances. Even at 40-odd I would have been able to hold my own against anybody I played, but I am seriously dreading this match next week.

Monday 31st August
    First Crossfit session.
    Really enjoyed it. I think the coach thinks I am underestimating my ability to take technical instruction. We were doing a power snatch, he was only short of drawing me a diagram. I think the coach has his work cut out for him :)

Squatted up to 75kg. Heaviest I've gone since having the baby.

3 rounds
    Deadlifts 50kg x 10
    TRX Rows x 10
    Ball Slams x 10
    Think this took about 3.20 Felt easy.

KB Swings x 8
    Box Jumps x 8
    8 minute AMRAP
    Did 5 rounds, this knocked the stuffing out of me completely. Haven't done any timed sort of exercises in years. Looking forward to doing it again in a month and hopefully seeing improvements.

Tuesday 1st Sept
    Camogie Training.
    Mostly skills work, and was wrapped up in an hour. Rang home, 3 little ones asleep, 2 big ones watching a movie so headed the gym for another hour.

Conditioning as normal. Up to 210kg x 2 on the high bar.

Bench
    Bar x 10
    25 x 8
    30 x 5
    32.5 x 3
    35 x 3 sets 3.

Downloaded "my fitness pal" and start logging food today. Met my protein goals which is good.

Thursday 27th August

Camogie Training. Was really expecting my sprints to start improving by now. Baby is 12 weeks this week. Feel like I have lost every iota of speed I ever had. One thing I always had going for me was my ability to run fast over short distances. Even at 40-odd I would have been able to hold my own against anybody I played, but I am seriously dreading this match next week.

Think you're being really hard on yourself here Nina... 12 weeks is a long time if you're getting over a bout of flu... it's not so long when you're talking about having squeezed a person out of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Crossfit swords or Crossfit DSC?

Great to see another laydee weightlifting!! I shall be following with interest :)

Crossfit DSC. My brother is in Crossfit 15, but that's just too far out for me. My 6 y/o son is in Crossfit Kids in DSC and I thought the lads were sound. I know you do classes in your place, are they only for people who want to compete and stuff? Or could it suit somebody just looking to improve technique and stuff for a short-term?

gymfreak wrote: »
    Crossfit swords or Crossfit DSC?

Great to see another laydee weightlifting!! I shall be following with interest :)

I know, still sucks ba**s though :( Maybe if I had loads more seasons left in me it wouldn't bother me too much. But think I'm deffo going to call it quits after next year. I would end it this year but would like to play a few matches with my eldest daughter next year. She'll be eligible to play up next year. I think it would be cool, she will probably change clubs rather than play with me :)
    WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Think you're being really hard on yourself here Nina... 12 weeks is a long time if you're getting over a bout of flu... it's not so long when you're talking about having squeezed a person out of you!

I know, still sucks ba**s though :( Maybe if I had loads more seasons left in me it wouldn't bother me too much. But think I'm deffo going to call it quits after next year. I would end it this year but would like to play a few matches with my eldest daughter next year. She'll be eligible to play up next year. I think it would be cool, she will probably change clubs rather than play with me :)

:D:D:D

My daughter has just tonight gone training with the Adult Ladies football team for the first time. My big dream is for us to play in the club's Stephens Day charity game together! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    :D:D:D

My daughter has just tonight gone training with the Adult Ladies football team for the first time. My big dream is for us to play in the club's Stephens Day charity game together! :D

Playing against her would be a nightmare when she takes you to the cleaners :D

• Advertisement

Playing against her would be a nightmare when she takes you to the cleaners :D

Thankfully we're both forwards, she inherited her father's aversion to tackling as well as his general stroll-around-picking-out-the-odd-fancy-pass demeanour :cool:

Advertisement