Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to fit it all in.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

"I had a baby but it didn't take too much out of me so I went camogie training. Yawn. So I went to the gym and did everything #standard"

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Tried to set the video to public, don't know if it worked. But just to put the "crazy" in context...Its actually my home life that's crazy. Controlled crazy, but crazy nonetheless. My 7 and 4 year old sons came to live with me when they were 3 & 1. Due to the bad start they had, they're kind of paying the price now with endless appts. Play therapy, speech therapy, regular trips to Crumlin for severe anaemia, trips to Temple St for absent epilepsy and ADHD related psychology appts. I seem to spend half my life in the feckin' car. And then when we are in the house, we've stuff to work on re the therapy appts. The 7 y/o ADHD is the most lovable child you could imagine, but needs to hit the playground or a forest walk daily or he literally would be banging into walls at home. He'd walk out of the room to go the toilet and come back in playing a tin whistle, without having gone the toilet :) The 4 y/o has major attachment issues with me, and still follows me room to room. So between that and all the activities, (the 14 y/o plays Camogie and basketball, the 11 y/o does guitar, Red Cross and gymnastics, the 7 y/o does hurling and scouts)...I'm quite busy. So training is where I go to un-busy myself and claim a bit of me time. I'm lucky I have the husband I have who appreciates that I need the couple hours every evening. Probably posted more than I intended, but there you go.

ninamc wrote: »
    Tried to set the video to public, don't know if it worked. But just to put the "crazy" in context...Its actually my home life that's crazy. Controlled crazy, but crazy nonetheless. My 7 and 4 year old sons came to live with me when they were 3 & 1. Due to the bad start they had, they're kind of paying the price now with endless appts. Play therapy, speech therapy, regular trips to Crumlin for severe anaemia, trips to Temple St for absent epilepsy and ADHD related psychology appts. I seem to spend half my life in the feckin' car. And then when we are in the house, we've stuff to work on re the therapy appts. The 7 y/o ADHD is the most lovable child you could imagine, but needs to hit the playground or a forest walk daily or he literally would be banging into walls at home. He'd walk out of the room to go the toilet and come back in playing a tin whistle, without having gone the toilet :) The 4 y/o has major attachment issues with me, and still follows me room to room. So between that and all the activities, (the 14 y/o plays Camogie and basketball, the 11 y/o does guitar, Red Cross and gymnastics, the 7 y/o does hurling and scouts)...I'm quite busy. So training is where I go to un-busy myself and claim a bit of me time. I'm lucky I have the husband I have who appreciates that I need the couple hours every evening. Probably posted more than I intended, but there you go.

I think it's just people are ridiculously impressed that you manage to eke out a few hours and then manage to fill those hours with solid work!

I know I am.

Oh, thought it might have been more a case of "She's never home, her poor husband and kids". So, impressed you say? :)

i was going from the impressed route!!!

I'm way too lazy for any of that conditioning

• Advertisement

Misplaced phone for a few days, so have a bit of logging to catch up on.

Thursday 22nd October

Camogie Training. Great session.

Friday 23rd

3km Run. Had to stop twice. Getting better.

Sunday 25th

Camogie Match. Comprehensive win. 9-12 to 2-0. Delighted with how I played. Left arm took a fair hiding all the same. Would imagine I ran off 3000 cals. Brought the kids out for dinner that evening, would imagine I ate in the region of 5000 calories :)

Tuesday 27th

Camogie put off until tonight. Was hoping to make a Crossfit session at 7, but husband had to work late. Went gym 8.30 to 10 and did a fairly solid shift.

Same conditioning circuit as last week.

60/60 low bar/high bar prowler push
    50kg Deadlift x 5
    30metre farmers walk w/25kg sandbag each hand
    5 box jumps

90/90 low bar/high bar prowler push
    50kg Deadlift x 5
    5 box jumps

120/150 low bar/high bar prowler push
    50kg Deadlift x 5
    5 box jumps

120/180 low bar/high bar prowler push
    50kg Deadlift x 5
    5 box jumps

120/210 low bar/high bar prowler push
    50kg Deadlift x 5
    5 box jumps.

Upstairs for Deadlifts

Used all the 50kgs downstairs as warmup sets.

70kg x 1
    80kg x 1
    90kg x 1
    100kg x 3 sets 3
    110kg x 1
    120kg x 1
    125kg x 1

Camogie training this evening and another match tomorrow.

Wednesday 28th

Camogie Training.

Thursday 29th

Camogie Match. Another good win. Into the final of the Shield now Sunday morning. It's only a Shield, but considering our disastrous run in the league, to reach any final is a huge achievement. We played Lucan Sarsfields. The girl I was marking was 19 and apparently the second eldest on the team :eek:
    3 matches in 7 days is definitely going to take it out of me. Don't know if I should give Crossfit a miss tomorrow night. Will see tomorrow how I feel.

Friday 30th Crossfit

Split Jerk 5RM - 32.5kg. Probably could have gone to 35kg, but technique would have been compromised. Still finding all this overhead pressing tough and tiring.
    Did 3 sets of 5 @90%.

Did 4 rounds of push press with 25kg.

Worked on handstands, can hold myself against a wall for 30 secs or more now.

Just about to start the WOD and husband called to say baby was crying for a half hour. That was a first for him, he practically never crys. The dreaded teething has begun. WOD looked particularly tough so wasn't that upset about missing it.

Sunday 1st November Camogie Final

Nasty, physical game. We won by a point. 3rd game in 7 days, legs were like concrete. But got through it, and went out for celebration drinks after. Hence the no training yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

That's only three of your sprogs... where's the other seven??

Ha, ha :) Only 2 missing. One was training and the other was at a sleepover.
    WHIP IT! wrote: »
    That's only three of your sprogs... where's the other seven??

Tuesday 3rd November Crossfit

Worked on power cleans and split jerk from back of the neck. Think I got 37.5 on the clean, and a 3RM of 27.5 on the other.

The WOD included thrusters, double unders and pull ups. Good to get it done.

*quite like this photo :)

• Advertisement

Sunday 1st November Camogie Final

Nasty, physical game. We won by a point. 3rd game in 7 days, legs were like concrete. But got through it, and went out for celebration drinks after. Hence the no training yesterday :)

Ah great pic! :)

Great to come out the right side of matches like that!

Ah great pic! :)

Great to come out the right side of matches like that!

Most definitely! We've lost to that crowd too many times previously. They're a division above us now but dropped for Champo. They resorted to play that was beneath them to be honest, off the ball fouling, high hurls etc. Made the win even sweeter.

Great week of training.

Thursday 5th Nov

Baby was unsettled with his teeth, didn't want to leave him so missed my Crossfit at 7. He was asleep by 8.30 so went up to Sportslink gym for the first time. (My Ben Dunne membership expired 31st Oct)

Was a bit out of my comfort zone, trying to get used to the place. Only had 45 mins before closing so just decided to work on squats. I'm going on the premise it was a 20kg bar cause it felt like it.

Bar x 10
    30kg x 8
    40kg x 6
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5 sets 5

Job done.

Friday 6th Nov

Crossfit

5RM Bench Press - did 35kg for 5 handy. Could only do 37.5kg for 4. Should have tried 36 in hindsight.

Back Off Sets
    3 x 5 @ 90%

Lots of handstand practise, touch and go push press, and got my FIRST ROPE CLIMB :)

The WODS included a lot of powercleans, banded pull-ups, double unders and Burpees. I literally collapsed in a sweaty bundle when I was done.

Saturday 7th Nov

Weightlifting Class
    Worked on clean and jerk. Lots of movements, haven't a clue what they are called. But I ended with a 40kg clean and jerk that I was quite happy with.

Stayed on and did some double under practise, and then did some deadlifts.
    The Monday class I missed was a 5RM Deadlift so worked up to that.

40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 5RM

Then the back off sets were 3 x 5 @ 90kg. This killed me :(

Overall a tough few days but feel like I'm getting the groove back.

Monday 9th November
    5RM Front Squats 40kg - lot of euro needed on these.
    Back off sets
    3 x 5 @ 90%

Split Squats & Banded Good Mornings

4 rounds of
    4 Squat Clean Thrusters 25kg
    8 Burpee Box Jumps
    12 Wall Balls 6kg

Wednesday 11th November

Open Gym

Back Squats
    Bar x 10
    25kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    60kg x 3 sets 5 (ass on fire today)

Worked on Double Unders. Still can't get 2 consecutive ones, but am getting much better.

Prowler Pushes
    Don't know how long the strip is in the gym, but pushed up to 150kg. The phrase there are no more weights came to mind cause it's a different prowler. Never thought I'd get to say that. It only has 1 central bar to put plates on, unlike the one in Northwood. So 6 x 25kg plates and its full. Will have to adapt it somehow :)

Thursday 12th November

Did some work on squat cleans.

Deficit Deadlift
    5 x 3 @ 80kg. Felt quite handy.

Front Squats Paused
    Worked out at 16 reps, working up to 42.5.kg.

L-Sit holds 3 x 30 sec hold

3 rounds @ 25kg
    12 Powercleans
    12 Front Squats
    12 Reverse Lunges

Great few days again. Definitely getting some shape back in the arms and shoulders. Still carrying a lot of weight around the middle. Have to sort nutrition out. Still eating the wrong things at the wrong times. But overall feeling happy with how things are progressing.

Friday 13th November

Did a 5RM Klokov Press. WTF???

Worked on rope climbs and handstands.

Can't remember the WOD specifics but included a couple of 200m runs, push press, burpees and skipping.

Monday 16th November

Everybody was doing OH Squats, I spent 20 minutes doing rehab on my shoulder :(

Bulgarian Split Squats 3 x 15 each leg
    Banded Good mornings 3 x 30

The WOD was 8 sets

For 30 secs
    5 Hang Power Cleans + AMRAP Front Squats 25kg

Rest 30 secs

For 30 secs
    AMRAP Burpee Box Jumps
    Score = Total Front squats + Total Burpees

Front Squats went 8,8,7,7,6,6,6,5
    Burpee Box Jumps were 5 for all 8 sets.

Loved that WOD.

Wednesday 18th

Open Gym

Realised I didn't really have a 1RM Front Squat to work off, so went about getting myself one. Got up to 65kg which I really wasn't expecting. Was on a high, so decided to test my back squat while I was at it. Got a new PB of 82.5kg, absolutely chuffed. That's up 7.5kg post pregnancy. Would love to get 85 before the New Year. Got one of the lads to check I was breaking parallel, he said there was no doubt. Happy days :)

Did some prowler work and box jumps for 10 minutes to finish.

Thursday 19th

15mins to Establish a 1RM Squat Clean
    Got 47.5kg. Happy out. I'm still not getting the momentum off my thighs/hips. Will have to do lots of work on that so I can go heavier. I'm just powering it up really.

Did some deficit deadlifts, paused front squats and L-Sits.

The WOD was
    14min AMRAP
    50 Wall Balls, couldn't do these so did KB Swings instead.
    200 Single Unders

Was 5 skips short of 3 full rounds.

Will train again tomorrow.

Sunday 5th December

Wow nearly 2 weeks since I last posted. Have been training hard and logging my notes on my phone. Then I log into Boards and read other people's logs cause I love to see how everybody is doing, and then all of a sudden I'm too damn tired/lazy to do my own entry. So today the 5 year old just deleted about 2 weeks worth of diary entries on me on the frickin' notes app. They're prob backed up on my cloud, but just too much effort. In short, my bench pb went up a kg to 43.5kg. My deadlift also went up to 127.5kg. Coach was convinced I had 130 there but maybe in a few more weeks :) Séimí will be 6 months in 4 days so to better my squat, deadlift and bench within those first 6 months makes me incredibly happy. Looking forward to see what I can in the next 6.

Getting much better at the metcons too. Can feel my overall fitness improving by leaps and bounds. Still can't string 2 consecutive double unders together though. And shoulder still not 100% so still afraid to get into snatches, OH squats etc. Hopefully another couple of weeks and I'll be good to go.

127.5 wow brilliant!! well done!! :D

Ah shucks, thanks :o Think I was more delighted with the bench improvement tbh. It's definitely my Achilles heel. Thing I love about the deadlifts in Crossfit is when they're in a WOD and its high reps at a lower weight, 60-70kg I can seem to rep them out with relative ease. Can prob manage 10 to 15 touch and go. Gives me a bit of an advantage for time. But then the second part of it could be double unders and any bit of advantage is gone down the toilet ha, ha.

Just proves the whole childbirth being so hard is a myth :)

Great work, great numbers!

Ooh, also got a pair of Adipowers as an anniversary present. Looking forward to breaking them in next week.

• Advertisement

If that involved no prompting, that's exceptional

If that involved no prompting, that's exceptional

Prompting??? The only thing he had to do with the purchase was hand me his card :)

Got a back squat pb of 87.5kg tonight. Delighted with life all the same, and me new shoes...

https://youtu.be/hKoUxGFoA_Q

Sorry video is so long, should have edited it first. I was just so excited :D

ahhhh that's amazing good JOB!!!

Prompting??? The only thing he had to do with the purchase was hand me his card :)

Got a back squat pb of 87.5kg tonight. Delighted with life all the same, and me new shoes...

Still rosemantic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Brilliant stuff, Nina - and looked like there was more in the tank...

Your video made me think about something and I wonder if other people are like this... you have the pins set on the outside of the Squat Rack and you perform your Squat 'out in the open' so to speak... am I the only one who is only really comfortable squatting 'in' the rack?? I don't know what it is, there's something secure about being in the rack/cage itself - even though it's really no different whatsoever... I actually think the straight lines and right angles of the rack help with my balance - does that sound like it makes any sense??

So after a little hiatus, not a training one - just a logging one. Had a horrendous month in December - immediate family member and illness that just knocked me for six emotionally and consumed a lot of my time, thoughts and energy. But on the flip side, also gives a bit of perspective. I had lost 8kg of the 10 that I wanted to lose, and then put 7kg back on through emotional binge-eating. Fuc*%ng ridiculous coping strategy. However, a new dawn..a new day and all that as auld Nina Simone would say. Achievements in December included a 90kg squat PB and a 130kg Deadlift. So strength training going well thankfully. I'm still concentrating on those 2 lifts outside of the Crossfit. Non-achievements include still not being able to do a double-under or a pull-up :)

Sat 2nd January

Training on my own.

Did a 50 minute Metcon that I really enjoyed, but by Jesus it killed me.
    Was a pyramid ladder. 10, 9, 8, 7 etc

Exercises were 70kg Deadlifts, Kettlebell swings, box jumps, lateral burpees and skipping x 30. So was 300 skips first round, 270 the second round etc. If I could do double-unders it would have been 100, 90, 80 etc. I thought a ratio of 3:1 was a bit harsh to be honest :) Am thinking this might be a good one to do once a month and see if I can knock time off as my base fitness levels improve.

Monday 4th January
    Did some work on Snatch and Overhead Squat. Both of which are shockingly bad. My shoulder feels 90% better, so hoping to attack these in the New Year.

Front Squat 6 sets x 2 reps @ 55kg.

The WOD was
    5 Rounds for Total Reps
    60 sec max reps Power Clean @ 35kg
    3min Rest between each round.
    I managed 71 which was pretty good. (Tougher than it looks on paper)

Tuesday 5th January
    Did some work on Negative Pull-Ups and Horizontal Ring Rows

Numerous sets Of Strict Press and Push Press and a gansy load of banded pull-ups.

The WOD was
    10 Burpees
    100 Double Unders/200 Singles
    20 Burpees
    75 Double Unders/150 Singles
    30 Burpees
    50 Double Unders/100 Singles

So some pretty intensive sessions to kick off the New Year.

And WhipIt, don't know about the squat. I much prefer to be out in the open. If I think I'm gonna fail a rep I just roll the bar off backwards. So far so good!

Wednesday 6th

Trained on my own.

Back squats
    25kg x 10
    35kg x 8
    45kg x 5
    55kg x 3
    65kg x 8
    65kg x 4 sets 5

Hmmm....was going to try do Hanleys program with the squats. First week calls for 5 sets of 8 @ 70% which was 65kg. First set, I got done but it was a struggle. Knew there wasn't a hope of me doing the last 4 sets. So just did sets of 5. Going to have to rethink....

Did a quick 15, 9, 6, 3 Metcon.

15 Deadlifts @ 70kg
    15 Box Jumps
    150 skips etc. etc.

Got new Bluetooth wireless headphones. They are the frickin' business.

Saturday 9th Training on my own. Literally had 30mins.

35kg Bar x 4 Rounds
    3 Hang Squat Cleans
    2 Front Squats
    1 Thruster
    5 Lateral Burpees

Still using 35kg Bar x 5 rounds
    10 off the floor back squats
    150 single skips

Worked up a sweat, solved a problem or 2 in my head, job done.

Monday 11th

Crossfit.

Possibly one of the hardest workouts I've done in my entire life.

Some snatch work. Hang pull, above the knee and off the floor. Still only using the bar here, but technique definitely improving.

4 sets 6 backsquats. 45kg, 50kg, 55kg, and 60kg.

3 rounds of
    10 Thrusters @ 25kg
    10 Bar Facing Burgees
    I go/you go partner work.

5 rounds of 1 min work/3 min rest
    7 Power Cleans @ 40kg and AMRAP

Felt like vomiting, but didn't. Win.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 13th

OLY Lifting Class, Snatch. Still pathetic but will prevail :)

Then stayed for an hour and trained on my own.

Deadlift
    50kg x 10
    60kg x 8
    65kg x 8
    70kg x 8
    75kg x 5 sets 8

Green Band Pull-ups
    5 sets 5

5 rounds
    Box Jumps x 10
    Single Skips x 100

Couldn't train Thursday or Friday as baby is teething.

Saturday 16th
    Did a 40 minute MobilityWOD. Worked on quads and hip flexors. I actually screamed in agony at one stage. Bit embarrassing.

Stayed on and trained on my own.

5 Rounds
    Front Squats 45kg x 10 (5 re-rack, then the 2nd 5)
    Hanging Knee Raises x 10

3 Rounds
    Burpee Box Jumps x 30
    Clean and Jerk x 15 (25kg)

Died a little.

Advertisement