Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Short tour in Ireland

• 07-07-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of doing a couple of days on the bike, probably out west later in july and august.

Anyone know any good resources or links for stuff like good long routes that'll take up a day or two, biker-friendly hostels/hotels/b&bs/campsites, that kinda thing? Probably not camping it this time, but might do a practice run for some longer trips maybe.

No plans as yet, stuff like westport/sky road/clifden, ring of kerry, going up the coast, fairly relaxed with a bunch of stops and hanging around. There are a few reasonable guides to routes but any have tips for doing this kind of trip without getting a pain in your hole and taking the 2-3 hours to go home in the middle would be great :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ring of Kerry gets my vote m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Ring of Kerry gets my vote m8

Anywhere in particular good to stay around there or is it all much of a much as long as there's secure parking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Ring of Kerry:
    Stay in Bantry\Kenmare\Killoglin and you have a choice of loops each day - Mizen Head\Beara\ROK\Dingle. At the end of a penninsula can mean retracing your route each evening.

Big hotels often do deals on two or three night stays half board. Look in the back pages of the Times or Examiner.

Westport.
    Lovely town. I stayed there for first time last week.
    Again choice of excellent routes north to Mayo or south to Connemara Nat. Park. Louisburg\Leenane\Lough Inagh is a great moto route.

If you choose ROK let me know when. Maybe I can visit and give you a guided tour. Not that a guide is necessary; map reading is a cinch; just follow the coast. Having said that: the road through the centre of ROK penninsula is great - Ballachabeama Pass to Molls Gap .

Ring of Kerry:
    Stay in Bantry\Kenmare\Killoglin and you have a choice of loops each day - Mizen Head\Beara\ROK\Dingle. At the end of a penninsula can mean retracing your route each evening.

Big hotels often do deals on two or three night stays half board. Look in the back pages of the Times or Examiner.

Westport.
    Lovely town. I stayed there for first time last week.
    Again choice of excellent routes north to Mayo or south to Connemara Nat. Park. Louisburg\Leenane\Lough Inagh is a great moto route.

If you choose ROK let me know when. Maybe I can visit and give you a guided tour. Not that a guide is necessary; map reading is a cinch; just follow the coast. Having said that: the road through the centre of ROK penninsula is great - Ballachabeama Pass to Molls Gap .

Might also take you up on that offer group of us heading down in august hopefully

Might also take you up on that offer group of us heading down in august hopefully

Sure, happy to oblige - if I'm not away. August might be my last chance to make it to France\Spain. Feels like the Summer is passing!

• Advertisement

Sure, happy to oblige - if I'm not away. August might be my last chance to make it to France\Spain. Feels like the Summer is passing!

True, Id say it will be the 1st week if any......sure I can pick your brains if I dont get to meet you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

Done a few short spins around Ireland myself over the last few years, plenty of places to go but the trip through Donegal was one of the more memorable days. Also the N67 from Ballyvaughen down to kilkee is a great peice of road. Kerry is great too but can be full of tourist coaches at this time of year.
    Just to add, stayed in a b&b in Moville called Barr's, highly recommended.

Did you make it to Kerry? I'm planning my weekend.. well, a day-trip anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I'll be doing the ring next, just came back from the Antrim coast which is magical, too wet to pitch the tent and ended up coming back(dublin). Larne to Portrush is the road you want, if you're ever up that way

I'll be doing the ring next, just came back from the Antrim coast which is magical, too wet to pitch the tent and ended up coming back(dublin). Larne to Portrush is the road you want, if you're ever up that way

Antrim coast is on my wish list but it's a trek and there's still lots I have to see on the west coast too.

I was in Co Clare a few weeks ago - Fanore to Ballyvaughan along the coast. Stunning! Just amazing scenery. It was under blue skies.
    And I finally got to see Slea Head and Blaskets in the sunshine - third time lucky. The following day normal service resumed.

• Advertisement

Just back from ring of Kerry m8, best days riding of my life bar none, better then my trip in Germany last year.

Biking Mecca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kerry is amazing, been there on the photo rally a few times. Hard to plan a route, once you get there it takes ages to go short distances because the roads are twisty and you can get stuck behind a caravan. It rained a lot every time I was there too. If you get good weather there's few better places. North Antrim coast is probably my favourite route in the country, although any time I did it, the weather was great, so that might influence my opinion

Cant give Kerry high enough praise, really need the weather. Not even sun but dry days the roads are very dangerous TBH, but the scenery just is amazing. I have the 3-4 best routes off the top of my head at this stage.

Ring of Beara & Healy Pass
    Ring of Kerry over to Valentia Island @Portmagee via small bridge off again via ferry.
    Skellig Ring (runs inside Ring Kerry)
    Gap of Dunloe (really need to experience the carry on down that on a motorbike!!!)
    Dingle Peninsula Run & Conor Pass .
    N71 from Kilarney to Kenmare I did 3 times its that good (its like a small child drew the road with crayons its that twisty)

Advertisement