Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Discussion - YT/Twitch etc

Options
  • 07-07-2015 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just thought we might benefit from a general chat thread, to discuss general things generally speaking in general terms of general content creation on general sites like YouTube and Twitch etc.....:o

Anyway, seems there be gold in them there hills! PewDiePie in 2014 earned a whopping $7 Million :eek: Wow, that's insane. Personally I dislike his stuff, I'm not a fan of loud shouty lets plays really, but $7 Million!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33425411

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Blue Neptune

Just a warning - it's against YouTubes policy to discuss in public how much revenue you earn via your channels. Silly policy I know but they enforce it...

I'll show you mine if you show me yours Ropedrink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

So whats the deal with this new Youtube Gaming thing? Are they trying to rival twitch a bit more or is it just that they are putting a heavier focus on gaming due to its popularity on youtube? Also Ropedrink why do you hate twitch? :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think it's usually in your partner agreement rather than YouTube themselves, no?

I know it was in my contract.

What don't you like about twitch Ropey? It fills a different, needed gap to YT imo. I'll never "go pro" on Twitch because I only use it for live events, but it's great to build an audience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

kevovek wrote: »
    So whats the deal with this new Youtube Gaming thing? Are they trying to rival twitch a bit more or is it just that they are putting a heavier focus on gaming due to its popularity on youtube?

Little bit of both, really. YouTube has always had a great powerful livestreaming service (very reliable, multi-camera, quality transcoding options available to all, stream DVR, auto-record etc.), but pretty much no-one used it because it was a pain to get yourself set up to actually stream on it.

Now though, assuming the launch goes successfully, YouTube gamers will have a lot of areas to find both streams and videos of whatever game they fancy on the same site.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Little bit of both, really. YouTube has always had a great powerful livestreaming service (very reliable, multi-camera, quality transcoding options available to all, stream DVR, auto-record etc.), but pretty much no-one used it because it was a pain to get yourself set up to actually stream on it.

Now though, assuming the launch goes successfully, YouTube gamers will have a lot of areas to find both streams and videos of whatever game they fancy on the same site.

I'd say quite a bit of its success will come down to OBS and Xsplit adopting it, which I assume wouldn't be a problem if YT are willing to throw some cash at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'd say quite a bit of its success will come down to OBS and Xsplit adopting it, which I assume wouldn't be a problem if YT are willing to throw some cash at them.

Do you mean more of an integration of the live streams into the OBS or XSplit program itself with viewer reports etc., or just not having to change the stream name and server every time? Because if it's the latter, that's already in place if you have a relatively new ingestion created.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Do you mean more of an integration of the live streams into the OBS or XSplit program itself with viewer reports etc., or just not having to change the stream name and server every time? Because if it's the latter, that's already in place if you have a relatively new ingestion created.

Yeah I meant the latter. I would rarely stop to check- all my user base are on twitch, and I have a whole bunch of stream keys for different accounts there. Been a while since I even went into those options :D

Advertisement