Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Open 2015 - St Andrews - July 16th-19th *mod warning #201*

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iancairns wrote: »
    Anyone know what time golf is on the telly today?

About 1pm I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slave1 wrote: »
    Just simply means they were on form and good enough over the 4 days, it's not as if he's the best Am out there, he's 80th in the rankings but just clicking for him on a course that suits him these past few days...

yea but the amateur rankings seem to fluctuate a lot more than the pro.

he was ranked 15 maybe 6 weeks ago.

PARlance wrote: »
    There wont be a Merc washed in Greystones this weekend at this rate :)

Dream start

Jeysus my car is still manky, mind you, I think it is going to get an almighty Valet after the day is over :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Any idea how I get this on the phone lads? Can you download BBC iPlayer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Should definitely be an interesting one today. Would love to see Dunne and Harrington battle it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Tobyglen wrote: »
    If Dunne gets a top 3 finish or something would that give him a card for next year?

As he wouldn't win any prize money, I think he would need to win the Open in order to get a card. However, I think he would probably get quite a few sponsors' invitations and he would be guaranteed a place in next year's Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Paddy Harrington? hell don't be such a girl!

I think he was actually referring to Paul Dunne as you mentioned Harrington and then "as for the other Paddy", saying you could at least use his name also. As for the second part of you're comment.

355788.png

Have to say I knew it would be a tough one to call this year but so many players I had not seen much of have played very well.

Pepperell (I only really watched at Irish Open) has been great to watch, the 17 hurt him yesterday though, as it did with so many and I imagine it will do again today.

And two amateurs right in there with Dunne and Niebrugge, not to mention Ashley Chesters has been very good. We could well be watching some future greats in the pro circuit but who knows.

I know as an Irish man I'd love to see Dunne and Harrington finish well but the romantic in me wants Garcia to win. I'd be so happy to see him finally win one. It would be poetic if he went on to beat Harrington in a playoff but it's a lot to ask :P

Any idea how I get this on the phone lads? Can you download BBC iPlayer?

Don't think that works outside britain. Theres a decent app Filmon with the free tv from britain so BBCs on there, might depend on how good the phone and internet is but if it's good Filmon should do the job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Paddy Harrington? hell don't be such a girl!

Mod note:less of that now please.
    I wish Paul Dunne well and hope he wins but the downside is what does it say about the standard of professional golf when amateurs can conceivably win major tournaments?

I take it you don't play golf then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I wish Paul Dunne well and hope he wins but the downside is what does it say about the standard of professional golf when amateurs can conceivably win major tournaments?
    It must be just me. I'm finishing early today and full sure that I'll be watching some exceptional golf to wrap up the evening. Downside ? I don't see one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Does anyone know why so many of the players are wearing grey everyday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Come on Brandon grace. Make a late surge for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Was so enjoyable following Dunne around yesterday, he did not look out of place at all and I definitely think it will work in his advantage being out with Louis again today, they looked really comfortable playing together yesterday. The reception he got going on to the 17th was brilliant.

I wish I could stay for the final round today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Come on Brandon grace. Make a late surge for me.

He might have to shoot a course equaling 62 to finish the day in top 8. 9 players sitting on -9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Keano wrote: »

I take it you don't play golf then?

I do, actually. But please address the question and not the poster if you don't mind in accordance with forum rules.

The question was what does it say about the standard of professional golf today when an amateur ranked 80th amongst amateurs can conceivably win a major?

It suggests to me that the overall standard is low.

Not that i'm taking a way from the entertainment value btw. Two different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hes a full time golfer, hes just classified as an 'Amateur' by choice as hes waiting until after the Walker Cup to declare as a Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

A lot of red on the leaderboard this morning! Winds are light now but will get up later. A disgrace that BBC aren't showing any coverage until 1:45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I do, actually. But please address the question and not the poster if you don't mind in accordance with forum rules.

The question was what does it say about the standard of professional golf today when an amateur ranked 80th amongst amateurs can conceivably win a major?

It suggests that when a top amateur manages the course like a top pro then there's very little difference in scoring.

Same as it always was.

999 times out 1000, the top pros have that edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

HighLine wrote: »
    A lot of red on the leaderboard this morning! Winds are light now but will get up later. A disgrace that BBC aren't showing any coverage until 1:45.

in fairness how were they to know this was going to happen?

• Advertisement

I don't think it says anything negative about the standard of professional golf just that there are a lot of talented amateurs out there with the mental strength to bring it to the pros.

A lot of amateurs are well capable of playing with the pros but choose to go the college route first. They play the college circuit on scholarships to try improve their game and then when finished go pro. (Similar to what Dunne is doing I imagine).

Not to mention the difficulties with living on the road when being a pro and how expensive it is to become professional some golfers opt to stay amateur longer or don't go pro at all. Lot's of amateurs will try and wait until they achieve something big enough to attract good sponsorships that will help with the financial strain of going pro.

Dunne and Niebrugge are both on the college circuits but both have qualified for majors before this. As for Chesters it appears he postponed going Pro because he won an amateur event that got him into the open.

When it comes to the reasons why a player is either proffessional or amateur it does not just depend on skill alone, there are lots of factors like financial, personal decision on the life that comes with it, whether to attend college first or not.

My point is just because someone is an amateur it does not mean that they are not a great golfer and are not capable of competing with the pros. The fact that we are seeing some amateurs do well is a positive in my eyes and doesn't mean anything negative towards the proffesional game.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GCW

Not that i'm taking a way from the entertainment value btw. Two different things.

Hang on, he plays off +5. Same as Lowry did when he turned pro, that's a standard he has reached which is as good as if not better than many of todays top professional golfers reached in their amateur days... Professional golf is a lot about the top 6 inches Paul Dunne appears to have a good head so there is nothing to suggest he couldn't turn pro this summer and have a real impact within a couple of years as a professional. it's a measure of how good he is rather than a poor reflection on the professionals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

[QUOTE=HighLine;96305579..A disgrace that BBC aren't showing any coverage until 1:45..[/QUOTE]

If only Sky had the rights then we'd be enjoying it right now, wait a minute...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

He's an exceptional amateur golfer that is top of the leaderboard because he is playing brilliant golf that is better than the very high standard of the professionals around him. Now if he won with a score of +8, then maybe we could question the state of professional golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

What time is speith out at today?

Brandon Grace: 337 yrds. Avg drive today! 100% of fairways hit

• Advertisement

in fairness how were they to know this was going to happen?

Nothing to do about them not knowing this was going to happen or not... the facet is they have so many channels/red button lying idle, that it is a farce that they are not showing any coverage before 1:45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Surely CBS/ESPN are showing coverage earlier than 1.45. I'm sure that coverage is accessible to all of us that have the internet....

is it on sky?

i got rid of sky go app from my phone cause it is going so slow but might just have to download it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Deeply sad query, but is there radio commentary anywhere?

Seve OB wrote: »
    is it on sky?

i got rid of sky go app from my phone cause it is going so slow but might just have to download it again

Na, was referring to the Sky purchase of rights debate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Messi was an under 9 player once, shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

There is a radio stream on the official Open web site. It's all I can find anyway.

MikeSD wrote: »
    Surely CBS/ESPN are showing coverage earlier than 1.45. I'm sure that coverage is accessible to all of us that have the internet....

Just checked Golf Channel and NBC and not showing it at the minute anyhow...

Better story....Spieth to continue the grand slam or Dunne the amateur....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭murphyaii

flying for 2 days and has a system crash on sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Does anyone else think that St Andrews has past its Sell By Date for the Open? Don't get me wrong I love the history of it all (if only reminded far to often), but really its only defense seems to be the weather. The past few days a lot of the par 4s have been driver / wedge. Not taking aware from obvious great golf, this is the reason I think the 2 amateurs have been so close to the top also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Just about to say; Dunne has somewhat meant that the full spotlight isn't on Jordan Spieth which is helping him a little I reckon. That there is an incredible story tbh; the guys what 21 and has an absolutely cracking chance at a Grand Slam. That he only arrived in Scotland on Monday too. Phenomenal stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

TuneIn Radio's Open Championship station is decent.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&hl=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Loire wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that St Andrews has past its Sell By Date for the Open? Don't get me wrong I love the history of it all (if only reminded far to often), but really its only defense seems to be the weather. The past few days a lot of the par 4s have been driver / wedge. Not taking aware from obvious great golf, this is the reason I think the 2 amateurs have been so close to the top also.

Saying that to the oul lad earlier, I don't get St Andrews; history aside its a ****e of a course imo. The last hole is a veritable field.

Ooohhh!!! Tough one....Dunne for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The rough needed to be a bit longer but the leaders are still only -12 for 3 days. If the wind gets up then the winning score could well be -15

I'm thinking of playing it now in spring. Agree it looks not much on tv.

But, I'm sure would be a fun golf trip.

As I said earlier.. they need to grow European Club style rough, re-position and add a few bunkers.. especially on 18!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Outside of Ireland it would have to be Speith continuing the potential grand slam . Definitely Dunne or number 4 for Pádraig Harrington for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GCW

Interesting that Louis didn't make any reference to Paul in his press conference when discussing his competition. http://www.theopen.com/VideoAudio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Is it on Sky? I thought only BBC had it live with Setanta Ireland showing highlights.

I can't comment on the amateur ranking system but just looking at Paul Dunne it says he was voted Golfer of the year last year in C-USA (14 University Conferance in America, South of USA) and came 5th in the NCAA Division 1 tournament (top college event in USA, won by the likes of Woods, Donald, Mickelson etc when they were in college). Also he could have opted to go pro before this even but wants to play in the Walker Cup.

Sounds like to me he is a very talented player with potential, I can't go by amatuer rankings because I have no idea what way they work, is there a seperate points for college tour to amatuer tour, how many events they play etc. Not to mention considering the greystones golf course is a links course by the sea maybe St.Andrews suits him.

I don't understand why rather than being happy that an amateur is doing so well you are taking a negative view and complaining that the only reason he must be doing well is because the rest aren't at a good quality. You play the course.

Considering the best ever finish by a player in the open at St.Andrews was -19 by Woods and Dunne is currently on -12 it would suggest he's playing the course extremely well rather than the "overall standard is low".

murphyaii wrote: »
    flying for 2 days and has a system crash on sunday

I'd say he will get back to 12 / 13 under today.

But - too far back.

15 under should have a good chance ? Maybe lower needed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mezcita wrote: »
    TuneIn Radio's Open Championship station is decent.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&hl=en

Cheers

• Advertisement

.....or Garcia to beat Harrington in a playoff for it :P

Advertisement