Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Open 2015 - St Andrews - July 16th-19th *mod warning #201*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Is it on Sky? I thought only BBC had it live with Setanta Ireland showing highlights.

No, it isn't on Sky.

Setanta Ireland has the same live coverage as BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

murphyaii wrote: »
    flying for 2 days and has a system crash on sunday

Poor day for him yesterday. He was in a great position leading up to Sunday. Nature of the sport I guess..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just didn't drop for him, played well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Guys ESPN are showing live coverage now. Again.. further emphasizing my point at how it's a farce that BBC aren't showing coverage until 1:45. I won't provide a link but google is your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

slave1 wrote: »
    Better story....Spieth to continue the grand slam or Dunne the amateur....

Padraig to win his fourth major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Deedsie wrote: »
    Outside of Ireland it would have to be Speith continuing the potential grand slam . Definitely Dunne or number 4 for Pádraig Harrington for me.

Probably. But when the last amateur to win the British Open, Bobby Jones, won it in the 20's, professionalism was the exception. Amateurism was the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Just didn't drop for him, played well

Didn't thinks so. It was more than his putting - quite a few mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

G-Mac having a nice round so far. -4 after 12, -6 overall.

I know this is a bit cruel, but doesn't he always bottle it on a Sunday when in contention for a major?

Maybe the Monday finish will be his chance for redemption, although I think he would need another 63 or thereabouts to be in with a chance unless the wind really picks up later on. If that happens, the earlier start could work to his advantage.

HighLine wrote: »
    Guys ESPN are showing live coverage now. Again.. further emphasizing my point at how it's a farce that BBC aren't showing coverage until 1:45. I won't provide a link but google is your friend.

Just tuned in, they have a live show but no live coverage at least from what I've been watching the last while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just tuned in, they have a live show but no live coverage at least from what I've been watching the last while

Yeah, I'd be surprised if they were covering it when the host broadcaster is not. Surely they'd be getting their feed from the BBC and that wouldn't be happening when BBC are off air.

They are showing live shots! They are showing a clip now about Sergio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

rrpc wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd be surprised if they were covering it when the host broadcaster is not. Surely they'd be getting their feed from the BBC and that wouldn't be happening when BBC are off air.

its on Setanta live at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

rrpc wrote: »

There would be all sorts of logistical - operational reasons - staff reasons - technical reason - scheduling, why they would have had to delay coverage.

This is an unusual event.

Lads - I love my golf, but it is monday - the leaders are out at 1430 hrs, relax. I'd love to stick some of the lads who give out here, in a scaffolding for 4 days in them conditions.
    Then get them to go out and ask the staff to come in at 0530 Monday morning.

How Wall plays the 1st is not that important.

Also - R&A just shafted them , couldn't see too much staff motivation to support an earlier broadcast.

Life is a bit more complex in a big organisation , then, I want to see my golf monday morning.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the history between Harrington and Garcia that everyone keeps referencing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What's the history between Harrington and Garcia that everyone keeps referencing?

Harrington's given him a couple of 2nd place finishes at majors :pac:

Long story - but the short version.

Harrington is a likable gent and Garcia a spoilt brat. They deal with each other with their characteristics in play.

They're showing highlights from yesterday. Mind you, their day 5 coverage is due to start at 1:30, which is 15 minutes ahead of the BBC.

They are showing live shots! They are showing a clip now about Sergio.

Yes, back to some live shots now, Duval teeing off

Yes, back to some live shots now, Duval teeing off

What is the weather looking like there today?

• Advertisement

colmulhall wrote: »

Looks cool but not that windy

colmulhall wrote: »

It looks perfect right now... no wind and no rain. Both of those will change later this evening with winds forecast in the 20s mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

...and Garcia a spoilt brat.

There's no denying it, the lad is petulant. Still, given his talent and 67 majors without a win I can understand his frustration. He's seems a little more at ease with himself recently though, and if none of the Irish win it this year, I think I'd like to see him get over the line. Having said all that, c'mon the boys!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

That's not live lads. That's yesterdays golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

It looks perfect right now... no wind and no rain. Both of those will change later this evening with winds forecast in the 20s mph.

Harrington must be licking chops ;)

ForeRight wrote: »

ESPN are showing live golf!

Loire wrote: »
    Harrington must be licking chops ;)

Harringtons bread and butter! :p

Loire wrote: »
    There's no denying it, the lad is petulant. Still, given his talent and 67 majors without a win I can understand his frustration. He's seems a little more at ease with himself recently though, and if none of the Irish win it this year, I think I'd like to see him get over the line. Having said all that, c'mon the boys!!

I'd be the same, he deserves one.

This is set up perfect for the old sergio - in background - shoot low and post.

But - has sergio got that low low round with that putting these days ? I'm not sure.

He could be just that 1 or 2 too far back. Strong low guys at -11 to - 12

I agree with the spoiled brat comment, but I think the tension goes back to a Seve Trophy spat between Harrington and Olazabal. Sergio took umbrage on behalf of Olazabal and made some snide comments to Padraig when the match finished.

That fact that Padraig then beat him twice in close finishes to a major seems to have fuelled Sergio's feelings of resentment towards Padraig. Personally, I would absolutely HATE to see Sergio beat Padraig in a playoff today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GCW

The wind is picking up slowly all day. Leaders will be out in the worst of it, but it's not changing too dramatically.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/St_Andrews/hour_by_hour.html

ForeRight wrote: »

Na, yer man is right, ESPN have live feed, watching Donald on the 5th right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Im getting error code 321?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

First Up wrote: »
    Didn't thinks so. It was more than his putting - quite a few mistakes.

His iron play was poor as well. Missed a good few greens.

Where did you hear that? i saw 16mph max.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gfn0848v1#?fcTime=1437350400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

Not live. Showing yesterday's coverage ..

• Advertisement

looking at the scores for the morning lots of players racking up bogeys on the back nine. & in benign conditions.

It's the wind gusts that's the important part. Look at the figure below for gusts. Giving 25mph gusts for 4pm.

It's the wind gusts that's the important part. Look at the figure below for gusts. Giving 25mph gusts for 4pm.

Currently 5-15mph and 20% chance of rain, after 2 it's forecast for light rain and 25mph winds

Ah! I cant follow the info im peddlin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

killing me im stuck in work and missing this, wont even catch the end of it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Paul Dunne might not be the leader or even the leading amateur when he tees off - Oliver Schneiderjans (USA) has shot six birdies and one bogey (-5 today) on the front nine, is now -9 overall and just three off the lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Getting exciting now......Here's a list who I would like to see win today in order of preference....

Dunne
    Harrington
    Fowler
    Spieth
    Tiger Woods
    Fixdepitchmark
    Tom Watson
    Shooter McGavin
    Tones69
    Jesus

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Mod note You've been warned about trolling. One more and you'll be banned for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Getting exciting now......Here's a list who I would like to see win today in order of preference....

Dunne
    Harrington
    Fowler
    Spieth
    Tiger Woods
    Fixdepitchmark
    Tom Watson
    Shooter McGavin
    Tones69
    Jesus

Jesus is dead mate. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I think Paul Dunne might actually be Tones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Slightly OT but Pointless fans please note that you can record today's programme after all, it will be on BBC2 (usual time) because of the golf coverage on BBC1.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GCW

Two amateurs in the Top 5 at the moment. SCHNIEDERJANS, Oliver (a) currently in a tie for 5th! Hard to think about it but Dunne might not get a Silver Medal yet. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

coylemj wrote: »
    Paul Dunne might not be the leader or even the leading amateur when he tees off - Oliver Schneiderjans (USA) has shot six birdies and one bogey (-5 today) on the front nine, is now -9 overall and just three off the lead!

10 under now, after 10! Don't tell me this guy is going to upset the Dunne narrative, especially if the course starts playing tougher later in the day.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    10 under now, after 10! Don't tell me this guy is going to upset the Dunne narrative, especially if the course starts playing tougher later in the day.

Both of them are 22 as well! Crazy that Spieth is a year younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Of all players out on course, only 8 are over par for the day. Typical score seems to be 69/68 at the moment. Andy Sullivan is -4 after 4 holes already.

Did they even change the pin locations from yesterday. If the wind blows later, you could see a winner in the clubhouse from very early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Domo1982 wrote: »

Dunne
    Harrington
    Fowler
    Spieth
    Tiger Woods
    Fixdepitchmark
    Tom Watson
    Shooter McGavin
    Tones69
    Jesus

shootercrosby.jpg

• Advertisement