Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Open 2015 - St Andrews - July 16th-19th *mod warning #201*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Balls moving on the green now, looks like it's going to be suspended soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Pro golfers:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Officials got it wrong, letting them start this morning. Can understand players frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Ooosty had 2 feet for par, which is now 6 feet because of the wind.

The wind won't ease off tile 4 they're saying. At what point do they make the very difficult decision.

No play for at least another two hours.

Ooosty had 2 feet for par, which is now 6 feet because of the wind.

The wind won't ease off tile 4 they're saying. At what point do they make the very difficult decision.

No play for at least another two hours.

Play will resume when Speith decides. Just like the US Open he's constantly in the ear of officials

• Advertisement

Tugboats wrote: »
    Play will resume when Speith decides. Just like the US Open he's constantly in the ear of officials

Harsh. I think he made a fair point about whether they should have started, after the officials had no choice but to stop play giving the way balls were moving on the green.

But there's no sign of the wind relenting all weekend. At what point do they just say "this is the open at St. Andrews. You all expected wind and here it is. Go out and do your best."

Why didn't they suspend play a few years ago when Rory shot that 80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So are they playing? This will influence my decision on whether I stay in bed or get up.

:D

But there's no sign of the wind relenting all weekend. At what point do they just say "this is the open at St. Andrews. You all expected wind and here it is. Go out and do your best."

Rule

"......Generally, play should not be suspended unless the course has become unplayable, for example, balls are moving frequently on the putting greens due to wind...... "

Everyone back to bed so. Indefinitely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

When balls are moving on the green, they have to stop it. Although they have amended the rule about the ball moving at address, each individual instance must be assessed to establish if it was virtually certain that the wind moved the ball and not the player addressing it. This gets really difficult where the ball is on a slope and moves after the putter is grounded behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

What channel's it on? I can't see it on any of the BBCs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

BBC Four

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So are we in for a long delay? Anyone any updates?

TV coverage is back at 10...but the golf won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Keano wrote: »
    BBC Four

Channel off air on UPC... don't tell me the channel is working on Sky

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

PARlance wrote: »
    Channel off air on UPC... don't tell me the channel is working on Sky
    Nah it's off air too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

vienne86 wrote: »
    So are we in for a long delay? Anyone any updates?

From @TheOpen on Twatter six minutes ago: Play will resume when there is a material reduction in wind speed. We will issue updates every hour

Doesn't sound promising this morning.

Just looking at DJ's scorecard and see a double at 14 - was that last night or this morning and if this morning was anyone watching and how much did wind factor into that ie would he have parred it last night?

Collie D wrote: »
    From @TheOpen on Twatter six minutes ago: Play will resume when there is a material reduction in wind speed. We will issue updates every hour

Doesn't sound promising this morning

When they re-start, it will still be windy and scores could be high. I suppose the guys on +1 have to hang around until round 2 is completed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Keano wrote: »
    Nah it's off air too.

It doesn't start till 7:00pm because it shares space with CBeebies on UK DTT. The Open was only moved to BBC Four last night because the BBC decided the Proms took priority.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    When they re-start, it will still be windy and scores could be high. I suppose the guys on +1 have to hang around until round 2 is completed.

Can't see the cut moving from level par. Would need eleven players going over par to bring the line to +1. Only five players at level still to finish their second rounds, none of the -1 guys and one on -2

No play, with no BBC coverage until 12.10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭irish_man

Are we looking at a Monday finish guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

irish_man wrote: »

Not an expert but if the weather holds they could finish round 3 in the morning and still play round 4 tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

irish_man wrote: »

Sure is looking that way now!. With best case senario, can't see r3 starting before 3.00pm, 80+ players off one tee, so leaders may not tee off for r3 at all today or if so, just a hole or 2. Might be possible to play 36 tomorrow with no "re-draw" but I think the R&A will stick with tradition, then Monday finish for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

If they go with a 2 tee start today it should be possible. Maybe even play threeballs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Just looking at DJ's scorecard and see a double at 14 - was that last night or this morning and if this morning was anyone watching and how much did wind factor into that ie would he have parred it last night?
    Where are you seeing that? I see a bogey

fullstop wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that? I see a bogey

I misread the scorecard. Thought it was a par four - I did wonder why he was -9

Degag wrote: »
    If they go with a 2 tee start today it should be possible. Maybe even play threeballs?

Are two tees possible at St. Andrew's with the double greens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

Possible, but isn't the 10th tee at the far end of the course?, possible ok but logistically a nightmare for the R&A & players. Also not sure if there is a 10 shot rule for the open?, if so and DJ drops a shot the +1's are in, so that would make it more problematic?

Are two tees possible at St. Andrew's with the double greens?
    Don't see any reason why not. All that would be achieved is getting players on the course quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

any sign of play?

Possible, but isn't the 10th tee at the far end of the course?, possible ok but logistically a nightmare for the R&A & players. Also not sure if there is a 10 shot rule for the open?, if so and DJ drops a shot the +1's are in, so that would make it more problematic?
    Not sure if the 10 shot rule is in effect here?

In any case, you couldn't start the third round before the second had fully finished regardless.

No 10 shot rule. Think it's only The Masters that applies that now, maybe the USPGA too but not certain. Definitely not in play this week though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Nothing going to happen before 3 anyway..

https://twitter.com/RandA/status/622355319361028096

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »

Ridiculous. Send em out its the same for everyone.

HighLine wrote: »

Not good. Seeing as some players are only on the 11th hole of their 2nd round, it'll probably be 6pm at the earliest before the third round starts. Even if they go with a 2 tee start, it'll be at least 8pm before the leaders get out which means they'll only play 6 or 7 holes this evening I would think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Will be golfing Monday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

slave1 wrote: »
    Will be golfing Monday!

You would think, to give everyone a fair crack. Surely anyone who has to finish their second round today shouldn't be asked to go out play a few holes of a third round afterward...

slave1 wrote: »
    Will be golfing Monday!

Work = me disliking your post

• Advertisement

Has The Open finished on a Monday often? Or ever?

Will the R&A be refunding fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

I have already booked Monday of work. If the golf is on it will make the day even better.

Has The Open finished on a Monday often? Or ever?

Seve won it on a Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Dunner making a name for himself !!

No play till 3, gonna have to do that work around the house i have been putting off.

Could the second round players finish off their rounds on the back 9, whist the players already through to the 3rd round start on the front 9, or do they HAVE to start based on their score, or could the cut still change. Would playing in threes really speed up things up any quicker?

stevensi wrote: »
    I have already booked Monday of work. If the golf is on it will make the day even better.

You better book a few more days off. The sun is forecast to be out on Monday and the players don't want to get sunburnt

Only problem is, the same level of wind is forecasted for tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

How bad would things have to get before a 54 hole tournament is considered? Or would they stay on to play 72 even if it couldn't be finished on Monday (unlikely, I know)?

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    No play till 3, gonna have to do that work around the house i have been putting off.

Yep - should get my kitchen painted before 3! Silver lining and all that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement