Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Open 2015 - St Andrews - July 16th-19th *mod warning #201*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Perhaps the title should be changed to 16th - 20\21 July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Tuesday a possibility at this rate:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

At this rate Rory might make it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Tuesday a possibility at this rate:mad:

That would suit me as off that day.

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

20015VenueImageStA3.ashx?la=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

It's a Monday finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Just a heads up. BBC said that if they decide at 3 it's ok to restart then it will be 4 o'clock before the first shots get played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

When didn't they just do a 2 tee start yesterday morning when it was first delayed. Would have at least eased the problems.

Damm Scottish weather ruining my weekend plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

even the cricketers are playing. feck sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

sky88 wrote: »
    When didn't they just do a 2 tee start yesterday morning when it was first delayed. Would have at least eased the problems.

Damm Scottish weather ruining my weekend plans

That was asked yesterday when they came on air and they had the chief executive on and his response was they didn't like to do that at the open and they like to play the course as intended meaning 1-18 in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You would think, to give everyone a fair crack. Surely anyone who has to finish their second round today shouldn't be asked to go out play a few holes of a third round afterward...

R&A taking my advice for once.:p

BBC2 filling in with 'Nature's Weirdest Events':D

R&A taking my advice for once.:p

BBC2 filling in with 'Nature's Weirdest Events':D

They had an evening with Peter allis on the other channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

What's the story on TV coverage? I see the Beeb aren't scheduled to show coverage again until 6.45 pm even though play may resume around 4pm.

Is play definitely restarting at 4pm ? I read the tweet from the R&A and it said providing we have acceptable wind speeds. So what happens if they decide it isn't acceptable ? Is it the issue of the balls moving on the greens that are main reason why play was suspended ?

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    What's the story on TV coverage? I see the Beeb aren't scheduled to show coverage again until 6.45 pm even though play may resume around 4pm.

Just turned on the EPG. No mention on BBC1/2/3/4 or the Red until 6.00.

Looks like I could get to see golf on Tuesday yet.

Winds have not dropped so no play until at least 5pm.

https://twitter.com/RandA/status/622405143141724160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That was asked yesterday when they came on air and they had the chief executive on and his response was they didn't like to do that at the open and they like to play the course as intended meaning 1-18 in order.

I hate when they do that sometimes the tradition gets in the way of the tournament. I hate Monday finishes and I'll miss it now cause of it and I would think most fans are like this.

HighLine wrote: »
    Winds have not dropped so no play until at least 5pm.

https://twitter.com/RandA/status/622405143141724160

So even if they do get the second round done tonight, what happens if strong wind tomorrow or monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    So even if they do get the second round done tonight, what happens if strong wind tomorrow or monday?

Anyone know what the forecast is like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Anyone who finished yesterday now has a huge advantage. Those players like Johnson and Spieth were up very early this morning, got frustrated playing a couple of holes and are waiting around all day with no idea of when they will start playing.

Well the tennis is enjoyable enough!

Check out what happened to Dustin this morning... he was on the par 5 14th in two, then when he replaced the ball it blew off the green. He duffed his chip and ended up dropping a shot. Love Spieth's reaction.... "I'll get it.... no wait, I can't" :D

Very unfair though... they should not have been sent out this morning and if it comes down to a shot come Monday evening.....

https://vine.co/v/er0u7bWmT7l

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If the weather doesn't pick up may they abandon? And what would happen then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Bit of a joke from "the home of golf". They surely had descriptive weather updates to know not to send them lads out this morning, spieth said it on the course, we saw what happened Dustin and also Oosthuizen. Tough on them to be up so early to get warmed up only to play a few holes in unreasonable conditions, and have to go back off the course until at least 5pm again... Likewise the 3 person groups yesterday might have helped but they "liked to play the course in order" with 2 balls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Check out what happened to Dustin this morning... he was on the par 5 14th in two, then when he replaced the ball it blew off the green. He duffed his chip and ended up dropping a shot. Love Spieth's reaction.... "I'll get it.... no wait, I can't" :D

Very unfair though... they should not have been sent out this morning and if it comes down to a shot come Monday evening.....

What has the wind got to do with Dustin duffing his chip? Id be questioning his mental toughness for letting it bother him and not blaming the wind for him getting a 6

That's awful - terribly unfair to Johnson.

Tugboats wrote: »
    What has the wind got to do with Dustin duffing his chip? Id be questioning his mental toughness for letting it bother him and not blaming the wind for him getting a 6

Or blame the R&A for sending them out in conditions that were clearly unplayable which is the point I made.

Wonder did Spieth experience these conditions playing a video game of the course.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well the tennis is enjoyable enough!

Le Tour De France for me.

JIdontknow wrote: »
    we saw what happened Dustin and also Oosthuizen.

Did Louis drop a shot this morning, I thought he was -7 from last night?

(not that I have any personal financial interest in the topic:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Did Louis drop a shot this morning, I thought he was -7 from last night?

(not that I have any personal financial interest in the topic:rolleyes:)

He had a 2 foot putt that became a 7 foot putt because of the wind. That's the putt he'll be returning to when play resumes on Wednesday.

He had a 2 foot putt that became a 7 foot putt because of the wind. That's the putt he'll be returning to when play resumes on Wednesday.

Video of it on this link... he was probably hoping it would blow into the hole hence why he didn't mark it sooner.

http://www.golfcentraldaily.com/2015/07/video-wind-blows-louis-oosthuizen-get.html

Cheers, presumably the'll have an armed guard standing over his marker until then...

That is ludicrous though, players should have an option to void the hole if the wind moves their ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

The U.K. Met Office forecasts look good going forward. Good accuracy up 'til this point.

Looking good, range filling up with players.

5:30 now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Say Tiger is raging about having to hang around. Probably had the jet ready to get out of there last night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Tugboats wrote: »

You missed the part where his ball blew off the green, yeah?

Ah by The time the Ulster finishes tomorrow, should be able to see the commencement of the third round.

But seriously though, if they think it won't finish by Monday, would they change the format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

running out of cans :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Mark James' shirt!!

Well at least we're on the air.

Even though most players have been on the range for a while and winds are down... again another delay..

https://twitter.com/RandA/status/622437433364361216

Even though most players have been on the range for a while and winds are down... again another delay..

https://twitter.com/RandA/status/622437433364361216

I think the R&A have made a mess of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

It's all good though their offering a 60% refund on tickets for today....

https://mobile.twitter.com/randa/status/622421091827478530

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Play to resume at 6pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think the R&A have made a mess of this.

AFFS:mad: it was windy this morn. >40mph. grand stop play. <30 mph lets get on with it.

blackcard wrote: »
    Play to resume at 6pm

Will believe when I see:

New theme for BBC's (absence of) golf coverage:

Manic-Street-Preachers-Forever-Delayed-E-231799.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

BBC now moved broadcast to 6:45

You the man Louis!:D

Still looks pretty breezy to me, what if balls start moving again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

You the man Louis!:D

Delighted he got anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement