Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it legal

Options
  • 07-07-2015 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

to use a 6 amp MCB for a single indoor socket or against regs?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

to use a 6 amp MCB for a single indoor socket or against regs?

I am open to correction but I would not think that this aligns with the regulations as it could cause nuisance tripping. Remember a standard socket is designed to supply 13A. This would mean that there are many loads that would cause an MCB that small to trip. Either way it so bad practice IMHO.

BTW the socket should also have RCD protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

2011 wrote: »
    I am open to correction but I would not think that this aligns with the regulations as it could cause nuisance tripping. Remember a standard socket is designed to supply 13A. This would mean that there are many loads that would cause an MCB that small to trip. Either way it so bad practice IMHO.

BTW the socket should also have RCD protection.

Ok how many sockets can you have for a 63 amp main s/f

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ok how many sockets can you have for a 63 amp main s/f

I do not think that the regulations apply a limit to this.
    Once an electrical installation is over a certain size the designer should ensure that the electrical supply sized correctly for the load. The aim is to ensure that under normal operating conditions none of the protective devices (such as fuses, MCBs, RCDs) operate / trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

unless its a lighting circuit with 5 amp socket for lamps around a room

Advertisement