Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autistic child relative fostering

Options
  • 07-07-2015 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, wondering if you can help me with this query. Mods feel free to move if this is in the wrong section; I tried to search for the right forum but the search facility seems to be malfunctioning for me.

Due to the sudden death of both parents, my mother (aunt of the child) has been forced to take my cousin into our home. My cousin is autistic and only 5 years old. Are we entitled to anything other than Carer/Domiciliary allowance?

I know there is no legal advice allowed here and that's not what I'm expecting; does anyone have personal experience with a situation like this?

We've noticed the Relative Foster Care allowance seems to be a lot more helpful towards funding weekly necessities than the Carer's but we were told we aren't entitled to this because we already arranged to take the little girl into our home in a family arrangement. Does this seem right? We could hardly surrender the child to social services initially, she's our family and her parents had just died.

She's quite severe with the intervention required and almost non-verbal so we anticipate that we'll need every scrap of help we can get.

Has anyone here any experience in the type of help that might be available to us? (Even non-monetary help such as free official playgroups for ASD children or other things that could assist us in helping the child to develop)

Any and all help is very much appreciated in this trying time. We love the girl to bits and want to do what's best for her but it's a bit of a struggle right now.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Op

I've very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what a hard time this is for you.

Can you tell me if your niece is in a school setting yet? They should have details of the services she is getting at present.

I would go to the citizens advuce bureau to find out what you are entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Anon2015 wrote: »
    Hi all, wondering if you can help me with this query. Mods feel free to move if this is in the wrong section; I tried to search for the right forum but the search facility seems to be malfunctioning for me.

Due to the sudden death of both parents, my mother (aunt of the child) has been forced to take my cousin into our home. My cousin is autistic and only 5 years old. Are we entitled to anything other than Carer/Domiciliary allowance?

I know there is no legal advice allowed here and that's not what I'm expecting; does anyone have personal experience with a situation like this?

We've noticed the Relative Foster Care allowance seems to be a lot more helpful towards funding weekly necessities than the Carer's but we were told we aren't entitled to this because we already arranged to take the little girl into our home in a family arrangement. Does this seem right? We could hardly surrender the child to social services initially, she's our family and her parents had just died.

She's quite severe with the intervention required and almost non-verbal so we anticipate that we'll need every scrap of help we can get.

Has anyone here any experience in the type of help that might be available to us? (Even non-monetary help such as free official playgroups for ASD children or other things that could assist us in helping the child to develop)

Any and all help is very much appreciated in this trying time. We love the girl to bits and want to do what's best for her but it's a bit of a struggle right now.

Yes, this is right, unless she was surrendered to social services first (and I know that sounds highly callous and unfair, but I have family in similar situations) then you are not entitled to this payment.

You are entitled to Carer's Allowance, DCA, July provision (someone else should help with this), and the respite grand which comes each June and is worth around 1,200 euro (you have to be getting carer's allowance to receive this payment).

If you contact Irish Autism Action they should be able to help you with therapies etc for your cousin.

I'm sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I'm sorry for your loss. You may also be able to get respite services a few hours a week or overnight. There are some great forums on facebook for your mum to join, they're closed groups for parents/carers of those on the autism spectrum. Is she under an early intervention service? Speak to the social worker there too. What school is she in?? Is it an autism unit or has she started school yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Someone in the family may be able to claim Incapacitated Child Tax Credit which is worth €3300. If you google IT18 form you should get some more information.

Advertisement